Next year's bench

ACE

Definitely a fluid situation, but I envisioned the depth chart (at this point) as something like this:

PG: Goodwin/Bishop/Graves

G: Henriquez/Bishop/Graves/Roby/Moore

G: Bess/Roby/Moore/Johnson

F: Foreman/Welmer/Johnson

F: French/Welmer/Neufeld/Gillmann

I think no matter how you slice it, we'll have 10 guys (at least) who can hoop at an A-10 level.

14 minutes ago, wgstl said:

????

Had to add them somewhere. At this point, they are still on the squad. I don't think they'd get much (any) playing time next year. And they weren't included in my 10. 

1 hour ago, Zink said:

Hines still has a 1:1 turnover ratio, which is not good. Just because he is our only healthy point guard does not mean that he is a good basketball player. He's been invaluable to this year's team, but if he continues to have a role next year, our team is not Dancing. Keeping him around would be a very minor priority if I were Ford. 

How about over the past 5 or 6 games?  I think his turnover ratio improved dramatically during conference play.  Earlier in the season he had trouble, and so did Bishop, and so did Roby, and frankly so did Crawford. June really improved, and everything has been trending up on turnovers since that happened.

1 minute ago, AnkielBreakers said:

How about over the past 5 or 6 games?  I think his turnover ratio improved dramatically during conference play.  Earlier in the season he had trouble, and so did Bishop, and so did Roby, and frankly so did Crawford. June really improved, and everything has been trending up on turnovers since that happened.

It's also a sign that Bishop is miscast as the primary point guard. He has some strengths, but the fact that the offense looks so much smoother with a walk-on running it suggests that PG skills are really not among those strengths.

3 hours ago, CBFan said:

I think some were not sure about some of these players earlier in the season and I admit I began to wonder about 3 of the 4 players I mentioned.  I have never wondered about Bishop and I hope he stays.  Welmer, Roby, and Johnson are playing hard and improving.  I agree with you about Hines without him we do not have two conference wins and the potential for more wins.  I hope Hines stays as a walk on however a team like SIUE would probably be happy to have him on a scholarship.

Definitely still an important role for Bishop if he wants to stay. RM showed that you need several guys capable of running the point. Yes, Bishop's turnovers were too high, a lot of times the result of trying to force it on a team devoid of scorers, but he did have 7 or more assists in four of the nine games he played before getting hurt. There were also countless times in those early games where Bishop would drive and dish to an open Crawford who would clank his shot. Bishop would also give you one more potential 3-point scoring threat, shooting 36% before getting hurt.

26 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Moore could still figure in for the same reason Roby will next year. The roster Ford has brought in so far looks short on three point shooting.

This is all too true.  That's why we need Roby, Bishop and Moore (all board whipping boys) to return.

Another area that is weak for 2017/18 is point guard.  Assume Bishop, Goodwin and Graves are your focus at Point Guard.  Experience of those three is 36 games for Bishop, 0 for Goodwin and 11 for Graves.

PG: Bishop/ Graves/Goodwin/Hines

SG/SF: Bess/Bishop/Goodwin/Henriquez/Johnson/Roby/Moore

Post Players: Bess/French/Foreman/Welmer/[Neufeld/Gillman]

The days of "1-5" player positions are gone.  Many teams play a three guard, 2 forward offense.  Only a few teams list a player as a C anymore. 

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

He has definitely improved, yes. He's gone 16:9 over the past five games, which is solid if not spectacular. My concern with him lies primarily with his lack of athleticism and corresponding poor defensive ability. Even if he can take care of the ball better, I just don't see him as anything but a liability on a team that hopes to reach the NCAAs. 

while I appreciate the tough task hines has been handed to be the point on a depleted roster with basically no backup and playing monster minutes with a limited talent team, this cheering of his limited turnovers has another angle to consider.   remember, if he makes one great successful drive to basket per game, he has about 8 that were impossible trips that end up in an airball or a blocked shot that might as well be classified as a turnover.    until he can either somehow make that shot or has the good sense to not even drive to that point, no.   just no.,

15 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

while I appreciate the tough task hines has been handed to be the point on a depleted roster with basically no backup and playing monster minutes with a limited talent team, this cheering of his limited turnovers has another angle to consider.   remember, if he makes one great successful drive to basket per game, he has about 8 that were impossible trips that end up in an airball or a blocked shot that might as well be classified as a turnover.    until he can either somehow make that shot or has the good sense to not even drive to that point, no.   just no.,

Think Jett - he could make those drives pay off almost every time.  I agree Hines is to be thanked for his tireless effort but lets not turn him into something he is not.  Hines has gotten his day in the sun and now it is time for us at the end of the year to applaud him and move on to both of ours future.