Coach's Show

Billboy1

3 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I don't see how if he admits there will be another roster spot that is currently not available, how that mean someone is leaving the team

So you think coaches just stop recruiting once they fill their verbal commitments more than a year ahead of time?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/6/2017 at 0:03 PM, HoosierPal said:

Coach on the Press Box.  Two interesting questions from Frank.

1) " You have two verbal recruits for the 2018 class.  Will you add any more to that junior class."  Coach -Yes. [Frank did not ask about 2017.]

2) "When the transfers scrimmage against the regulars, who wins?"  Coach - One day it's the transfers, the next it is the regulars.  These guys (meaning the regulars) have really improved this year.

Ford also had high praise for Zeke's return.  He said he wanted to ease him back in, but watching the tape, said he did a lot of really good things.  Also commented on Wellmer 'the sky is the limit for him'. 

Not to say that the current players haven't improved this year -- they have, immensely -- but as for pitting the transfers against the guys in the current rotation and using that as any sort of measuring stick, I would caution against that.

1) Only three of the transfers are able to practice.  Foreman hasn't practiced since the hip surgery.

2) The transfers haven't learned Ford's system or plays, as they've been asked to act as the scout team.  What they run in practices changes from game to game; it's something just drawn up before running the drill, not something they've been given time to master through repetition.

3) Neufeld and Gillmann are on the scout squad with them, most of the time.

I suspect that the transfers would nearly always beat this year's rotation players but not for these three things.  There's still much to look forward to for next year, including the additions of Goodwin and French.

47 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I don't see how if he admits there will be another roster spot that is currently not available, how that mean someone is leaving the team

3 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Because our coach just said mid season that players are going to be asked to go someone else essentially. I don't see how that's not news. Now its time to look at whats going on at the bench

You keep changing your description of what was said...

what (i believe) he said was that he anticipates another signee for that class. He never said he was asking a player to leave...now you've changed it to a player leaving the team... 

44 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Not to say that the current players haven't improved this year -- they have, immensely -- but as for pitting the transfers against the guys in the current rotation and using that as any sort of measuring stick, I would caution against that.

1) Only three of the transfers are able to practice.  Foreman hasn't practiced since the hip surgery.

2) The transfers haven't learned Ford's system or plays, as they've been asked to act as the scout team.  What they run in practices changes from game to game; it's something just drawn up before running the drill, not something they've been given time to master through repetition.

3) Neufeld and Gillmann are on the scout squad with them, most of the time.

I suspect that the transfers would nearly always beat this year's rotation players but not for these three things.  There's still much to look forward to for next year, including the additions of Goodwin and French.

The top 7 players have greatly improved over the course of the season. Everyone looks more comfortable in the offense. Defense has picked up. It's night and day. 

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You keep changing your description of what was said...

what (i believe) he said was that he anticipates another signee for that class. He never said he was asking a player to leave...now you've changed it to a player leaving the team... 

To get another player for 2018, would we not have to have another player leave?

10 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

To get another player for 2018, would we not have to have another player leave?

Don't really know don't really care. You have completely ignored myself and sshoe when we asked you where specifically Travis Ford said "we're going to have to ask a player to leave to sign another player for 2018."

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Don't really know don't really care. You have completely ignored myself and sshoe when we asked you where specifically Travis Ford said "we're going to have to ask a player to leave to sign another player for 2018."

It is heavily implied when he says he is going to add another spot for 2018. Actually it is more than implied, it is a fact. We have to have someone leave in order to have a spot for 2018. Fact

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Isn't that kind of the crux of the matter? This board is always so rude to anyone new that thinks differently.

3 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

Isn't that kind of the crux of the matter? This board is always so rude to anyone new that thinks differently.

Not exactly. 

4 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

It is heavily implied when he says he is going to add another spot for 2018. Actually it is more than implied, it is a fact. We have to have someone leave in order to have a spot for 2018. Fact

Someone can leave without being asked to leave. You said "our coach just said he was going to ask a player to leave" Gillmann could Graduate by his own choice. Neufeld could want more PT and go to another school. 

26 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The top 7 players have greatly improved over the course of the season. Everyone looks more comfortable in the offense. Defense has picked up. It's night and day. 

we shall see if we are still saying this after st bonnie, Dayton and VCU all coming up very shortly.    I am thrilled we have played well against poor teams, thus maybe we are not one of the very worst teams in the country.   but unlike a lot of you, I am not ready to declare we have a lot of quality backups for next year on the current roster.   hope I am wrong.   

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

we shall see if we are still saying this after st bonnie, Dayton and VCU all coming up very shortly.    I am thrilled we have played well against poor teams, thus maybe we are not one of the very worst teams in the country.   but unlike a lot of you, I am not ready to declare we have a lot of quality backups for next year on the current roster.   hope I am wrong.   

I think you're underrating that Mason team. won @ Richmond and @ Penn State. They arent worldbeaters by any means but those are two good Ws

17 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Not exactly. 

Someone can leave without being asked to leave. You said "our coach just said he was going to ask a player to leave" Gillmann could Graduate by his own choice. Neufeld could want more PT and go to another school. 

Does it not imply he already has had discussions with other players. Maybe not asked to leave, but maybe told he might want to look elsewhere, same thing just nicer way of doing things which I assume Ford did. 

1 minute ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Does it not imply he already has had discussions with other players. Maybe not asked to leave, but maybe told he might want to look elsewhere, same thing just nicer way of doing things which I assume Ford did. 

That, or he knows someone WANTS to leave.

6 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

That, or he knows someone WANTS to leave.

Is that not what I said? 

When is Bishops injury supposed to heal? I am not saying this is the case at all, but sometimes athletes who don't want to play keep telling a trainer that it hurts too much. That may not be the case at all but I have seen that attitude before. 

8 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

That or he's recruiting hard for 2018 just in case someone leaves unexpectedly. Just like every coach in America at every level of college basketball. 

Ok lets say Watson commits. Ford will have to make room for that. 

11 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

so then don't say that he said he's told players they had to leave. It's pretty simple 

Just now, Glorydays2013 said:

Is that not what I said? 

When is Bishops injury supposed to heal? I am not saying this is the case at all, but sometimes athletes who don't want to play keep telling a trainer that it hurts too much. That may not be the case at all but I have seen that attitude before. 

It 100% not what you said 

15 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Is that not what I said? 

Or someone chooses to leave one he sees that he will be getting passed up in the rotation. You are reading too much into this. Yes, I think Ford will run people off, but he never said or implied that. He just said he's recruiting for 2018. 

22 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Let's just see how everything plays out.

Dat true.

There are scenarios that surround each player staying or leaving.  Gillmann, Neufeld, Bishop have been discussed ad nauseum.

No one seems to think one of the transfers might pick up his tent and leave after one year.

Foreman sees himself stuck behind French and Gordon for PT.  He has his degree in hand and decides to go Grad Transfer somewhere else.

Henriquez has a very nice year, has his degree in hand, and decides to play for pay in Europe or the D-League.

Bess just doesn't fit, sees his PT not where he wants to, graduates and goes to his initial first transfer choice, Ohio U for grad.

Graves quits on his second team.

French and Goodwin also could decide SLU isn't their cup of tea after one season and transfer.  It happens.

Any coach who doesn't keep recruiting, even with a full roster, is fairly short sighted.

So players who have already transferred once, sat out a year once, and are all but guaranteed starting positions are more likely to transfer than players who have led the program to its worst record(s) in recent history? I doubt it.

Foreman would be a senior by the time Gordon is playing. As it stands, he'll share a frontcourt with Certified Werewolf Hasahn French on a team that isn't playing its two post players this season.

I'm not really sold on your reasoning for the other guys, either. Sure, anyone can transfer out at anytime for any reason, but it's way less likely for guys who've already made SLU a transfer destination.

All I'm saying is, those incoming 6 players are all hungry. They will have nothing but opportunity next season. I'd be more inclined to take a look at the guys barely playing this season on SLU's thinnest, least talented roster in modern history. That's all.

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

A coach telling players to leave and a player wanting to leave is not even close to the same thing, whether any of it is happening or not

Ok so you're on a team, you're not getting any attention or playing time, and the head coach says he is getting another player for 2018, which would mean someone will have to go, do you not feel like you're being run off??

7 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So players who have already transferred once, sat out a year once, and are all but guaranteed starting positions are more likely to transfer than players who have led the program to its worst record(s) in recent history? I doubt it.

Yea absolutely, If you're on your 2nd transfer would you not be red flagged right away? Players who hop from team to team don't necessarily find themselves on top programs the 2nd time around of transferring 

15 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'm not really sold on your reasoning for the other guys, either. Sure, anyone can transfer out at anytime for any reason, but it's way less likely for guys who've already made SLU a transfer destination.

First, Ford has guaranteed no players anything but the chance to compete for a position. 

The only poster who can tell the future is Soderballs.  He already stated Bishop isn't coming back and Welmer isn't starting.

I didn't say any of this is going to happen.   All I'm saying is don't dismiss the unknown.  To not have a transfer would be more startling than having one.  I also had the scenario where one of the players went pro. Graduate transfers don't have to sit out a year. 

Look at Cameron Biescheid.  How many times has he transferred?