Budget - Truth v. Fiction

moytoy12

Based on Billikan's suggestion, i went to www.midmajority.com.

Per www.midmajority.com, SLU's bball budget ranks 93rd for 2005.

Rank 93

MBB budget $1,949,433

School Saint Louis

Conference (A-10)

http://www.midmajority.com/info.php?a=schools-hoopsbudget

I could not find the recruiting budget information Billikan cites as ranking 236th. I'm not saying it doesn't exist or he is bs'ing, i just couldn't find it. If Billikan is correct, then we are devoting a lot of resources to something other than recruiting to be ranked 93rd.

Not that 93rd is great, but it isn't as dire as people were suggesting if these numbers are correct.

so we have been geeting good value for our $$$'s spent. over the last few years, that is probably about the level of team we have had. I would suggest though that if we want to be in the top 50 every year, we need to spend money at least close to that.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

here's the recruiting numbers from the link:

Men's Sports Recruiting Budget (2005)* $73,212

Rank 236 of 331

Travel costs are significant being in the A-10 and having to fly 20+ people to places like Charlotte, Olean, Kingston, RI and Amherst, MA. I also wonder if coaching salaries for the entire staff are included in the bugget numbers.

I consider getting your moneys worth a good deal ... but we are saying the same thing basically fair value for the money spent. The recruiting budget linked below is sad. If those numbers are true ... it's no wonder UB has problems recruiting and I would say he has done a good job.

based on the numbers on this page it looks like SLU is basically getting their money's worth in terms of where the program is at. I'd say they are probably better than 93rd and they are 93rd in money spent, so you could say they are getting better than their money's worth overall. However, recruiting is a different story. Their sorry recruiting budget ranks 236 of 331 with that poor of a budget I'd say Brad has done a fine job recruiting and it is a miracle he landed Lisch and Liddel. Also it makes you wonder how he could get someone like Vouyoukas with that type of budget. The administration needs to fork over more resources if SLU wants to improve their program. The new arena will help, but the recruiting budget has to grow as well. If we want to be a top 50 team we need to spend top 50 money on everything including recruiting. Right now it looks like we will probably stay in the winning record/NIT appearance range with the occasional NCAA bid if the program doesn't get more cash.

There are a lot of things we don't know about the men's recruiting budget that make it moot to debate. For instance could that ranking include all the schools that have football which usually has about 30 scholarship players and how would we rank amongst basketball only schools.

It is very easy to go on the link and compare SLU to other schools...for example SLU spends way more than Gonzaga, and way less than Marquette. Notre Dame with their football $$ uses a lot of it for academics and all those beautiful new buildings they build each year...and hoops budget has been very low...but they announced plans for millions to be spent renovating the Joyce Center, so that appears to be changing...and with the football team being asked to play in those BCS games each year, they have some extra cash that they don't have to share.

Accounting numbers are tough to compare because of the varying methodology and circumstances. For example, how will the university account for the arena expense in two years? It is quite possible that a huge depreciation expense from the arena will be allocated to the men's basketball program, which could double the budget even though the actual cash flow hasn't changed significantly. What would be more important to know is how much cash the various programs spend on their men's basketball recruiting, coaches salaries, and other significant direct costs.

I would think recruiting meant recruiting. I'd be curious how we fared with the other A10 schools and some of the MVC schools ... I don't have time now, but if no one else does, I may tommorrow.

The same site has the total spend on men's basketball for each school. I pulled out a few for comparison.

SLU--$1,949,000

Missouri $3,550,000

Saint Josephs $2,521,456

Duke $7,400,000

Cinn. $3,748,000

Virginia $9,043,477

Kansas $4,335, 649

Xavier $3,039,854

Clearly, the big boys spend a lot more than we do. Under the circumstances, I think SLU has made a tremendous statement in building the new arena because I am sure the cost of the bb program will go up.

what worries me the most is the money spent on recruiting. We are behind freaking everyone ... the Valley and the A10. What is worse is that it is such a small part of the budget, why do we penny pinch on the area that means at least as much to your program as any other area.

I know that when Grawer was coach the budget was almost nil and it was increased over the years. The only caveat is that these numbers on recruiting are for all sports while the total budget numbers are for basketball. My guess is that we spend very little on recruiting for the other sports.

I don't know ... I bet Shimmy was given some money and I bet DD gets a bit. It would be interesting to know the basketball numbers though.

>The same site has the total spend on men's basketball for

>each school. I pulled out a few for comparison.

>

>SLU--$1,949,000

>Missouri $3,550,000

>Saint Josephs $2,521,456

>Duke $7,400,000

>Cinn. $3,748,000

>Virginia $9,043,477

>Kansas $4,335, 649

>Xavier $3,039,854

>

>Clearly, the big boys spend a lot more than we do. Under the

>circumstances, I think SLU has made a tremendous statement

>in building the new arena because I am sure the cost of the

>bb program will go up.

I woud need more of a breakdown of money. UVA was ranked by millions ahead of anyone else in spending...they opened their beautiful new arena, and Leaito's salary isn't cheap...etc...so a year in to the new facility what will be their ranking?

Still, it is interesting overall.

"Accounting numbers are tough to compare because of the varying methodology and circumstances." Agree 100% with that statement.

I checked out the numbers at that site and compared our recruiting $$$ to the other A-10 members for the 2004-05 season. SLU ranked dead last in recruiting dollars at $73,212.

1. UMass - 326,124

2. Temple - 264,837

3. Xavier - 232,662

4. Fordham - 175,132

5. Richmond - 165,204

6. Charlotte - 148,316

7. Dayton - 144,335

8. Duquesne - 138,714

9. Rhode Island - 121,405

10. George Washington - 115,952

11. St Joe's - 104,826

12. St Bonaventure - 92,810

13. LaSalle - 85,244

14. SLU - 73,212

Budget wise for basketball, we ranked 10 out of the 14 members.

I also looked at some area colleges and how much they spent on basketball budgets and recruiting.

Mizzou - BB Budget=$3,550,396 Recruiting= 340,073

Illini - BB Budget=$3,239,017 Recruiting= 517,711

SIU - BB Budget=1,283,683 Recruiting= 111,636

MO State - BB Budget=1,331,179 Recruiting= 185,730

SEMO - BB Budget=700,290 Recruiting=114,890