Budget - Truth v. Fiction

moytoy12

gives 100% credence to my thoughts that we need to fix the infrastructure before the coach. if not, and we continue down cheapo path, we will forever be starting over.

Agreed. It should be four or five times that number if we are serious about competing at a high level. The coaching staff should never have to worry about driving to see a recruit who is more than 150 miles from St. Louis.

>The same site has the total spend on men's basketball for

>each school. I pulled out a few for comparison.

>

>SLU--$1,949,000

>Missouri $3,550,000

>Saint Josephs $2,521,456

>Duke $7,400,000

>Cinn. $3,748,000

>Virginia $9,043,477

>Kansas $4,335, 649

>Xavier $3,039,854

>

>Clearly, the big boys spend a lot more than we do. Under the

>circumstances, I think SLU has made a tremendous statement

>in building the new arena because I am sure the cost of the

>bb program will go up.

And Georgetown was less in recruiting budget, Creighton near where SLU is, Gonzaga and Boston College have less hoops budgets....schools played,...Loyola worse in both, Houston was a little better than SLU, and Pacific similar. And that's just some.

SLU definitely needs better funding for basketball, no question, ...but again your attitude is that a coach can't win with less. They are doing it at other schools.

Our BB budget is signifanctly higher than SIU or SMS. It is funny, when I read through this thread, I saw a number of people who when we had the other board up who would write about political issues and you could easily see that they were big GOPs and Bush supporters. Well, my guess those same people would have agreed with Bush that schools don't need more money to do a better job just need to spend it more wisely. Those same people are shouting the loudest about how terrible it is that we do not spend more money on the BB program. Well, you can not have it both ways. I agree more money would be best for most endeavours but there is a grain of truth as to how the money is spent is also important. As far as the recruiting budget is concerned, Brad can move more money out of other areas or ask for it to be moved so he can have more money for recruiting - obviously that is what SIU and SMS do for them to have more money for recruiting so maybe it is not the administrators issue but a Brad issue. Secondly, we all know the cost of living on the East Coast is higher so some of that budget difference is due to that. Now, don't get me wrong, I think more money would be good - couldn't hurt but lets take a more objective view towards this issue without flying off the handle. Last year, CL told us that when she left her previous school that she had increased the donor club contributions to $1M at SLU it was $300K - I increased my giving what did the rest of you do? - maybe all we have to do is look in the mirror and see who the culprit really is.

other than the land, ace, what has slu given? the money raised thus far is by donations solicited specifically for the arena. they did not touch any other slu money. and they apparently have no intention of ever doing so.

the remaining part of the arena will be financed and the payments made off of the revenue stream from events held at the arena.