Last night's games

Box and Won

I went to the UT/Fordham game last night down at the GEC. I really wasn't impressed with either team...but I did miss most of the first half. Dunston was clearly the best big man on the floor, IMO. He had one awesome one handed slam over two Tennessee defenders. But when UT turned up the intensity they handled FU pretty easily. They just had trouble mainting it. Fordham had loads of problems against the UT press...only broke it a few times. I hope we can implement a press successfully.

Two things really stood out. One is that Fordham seemed quite small. I don't know if it was just my seats, but they didn't appear to be on any sort of weight training program. I'm not sure how that can be in this day and age. The other thing was that neither team had a traditional center. Dunston is more of that 4-5 combo, IMO. I think that is where we will really have a step up on several teams. Ian just gives us a weapon that not many people have.

Bobby Knight had a run in with one of his players last night after sophmore guard Michael Prince committed two fouls in a row. Knight called timeout and when Prince held his head down Knight grabbed his chin and instructed him to look at him when he is talking to him. Prince's parents were in the crowd and defended Knight for his actions. One would assume Tx Tech would not punish coach Knight for this because much of the admin in Lubbock fears Knight plus that nice extension he signed earlier this year can't hurt. The link is below:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/bask...t.ap/index.html

If the kids parents are ok with it, I don't know why anyone else would have a problem. They know the kid pretty well and probably have a clue as to what the kid needs.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of Slu72's bid to join the Billiken Blue Kool Aid Club

I don't think that makes it right at all. Maybe the parents don't mind because they believe in physical discipline, but I don't think that makes them right either. This is obviously a difference in ideologies so I hope this doesn't become a board debate. Some think being physically tough on a player or child is okay, I don't.

What I really think is it is none of anyone else's business. It's between the kid and Coach Knight ... maybe his parents. I don't like alot of what he does ... but I don't know the whole situation to make a judgement or to even really have an opinion.

you said: If the kids parents are ok with it, I don't know why anyone else would have a problem

sorry, gotta respond. many parents are "ok with" lots of bad stuff. they are OK with their daughter sleeping with professors, but the university should not tolerate it. they might be ok with heavy drinking, but the school is not. just a few examples.

main point: I doubt if many folks at the school are "ok with" this incident, given Coach Knight's long history. Plus it is always going to be overblown and over-advertised by the cruel media sharks who pander to controversy. If you do not think the perception is the key to this, then you are missing my point. Perceptions like this one (with long history) are very potent and they are a problem.

fasten your seat belts -- the media will make a mountain out of this, and in fact it may not even be a mole-hill. Knight's anger problems are pretty well documented, and who knows (other than the players and coaches) what other stuff he has been doing behind closed doors.

"It was nothing," Prince told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal after Monday night's game. "He was trying to teach me and I had my head down, so he raised my chin up. He was telling me to go out there and don't be afraid to make mistakes. He said I was being too hard on myself."

Prince's mother, Suzette Prince, told the Avalanche-Journal that she and her husband, Mike, were sitting across from the Tech bench and she doesn't feel this should be an issue.

"We talked with Michael and he had just committed two fouls in a row," Suzette Prince said. "He told us that Coach Knight was asking him if he's ready to play. He said they needed him ready to play."

She said she didn't think Knight should be reprimanded.

we disagree ... And to take my statement to the extreme with the kids sleeping with proffessors is wrong. My response was to this incident. Knight grabbing a kids chin and pulling his face to look at him. The parents were there and saw it and didn't have a problem, apparently the kid didn't have a problem either ...

if not for knight's history, you may be right, but due to his bullying and stupid escapades over the years, knight doesnt deserve that take. he should and probably is on double secret probation no matter how insignificant the act appears. knight should have known better and once again believed he was above the rules.

he needs to go away.

Mr. Skip -- I was just taking your own stated logic to its ultimate expression. universities are not in the business of allowing or endorsing what parents endorse. sleeping with professors was just a silly example of where this logic might take us. surely you see that, yes? i.e. your logic was not very compelling.

actually, in this case, a university has to worry about lots of other PR related things, besides whether the parents are upset or not. again, this is my point. the university is certainly worried right now about how this will affect their image. like I said, perceptions are very real and very influential.

this will probably, and predictably, become big news, whether it deserves it or not. and, as I said, it might deserve it. I personally would not call Knight a "thug" but I think he obviously is an autocrat with a major anger problem, which he has, by the way, admitted to in the past.

Are we to the point were this is even an issue? He wasn't trying to hurt the kid...he said he look at me. The player has to endure so much more than that whenever he steps on the court. And people are trying to make this into a bid deal because he touched the kid on the chin? Look at the tape, he moved his wrist 3 inches. How much power was generated there. There was no malicious intent, no physical harm, and it is being blown WAY out of proportion.

The issue is this - just because a the kid's parents are OK with Knight assaulting their kid does not absolve it of being against the law. If you did that to somebody on the street the absolutely could have you arrested. Now that does not mean that you would be convicted per se but you would have a hard time getting out it scott free. What Knight did was wrong and he should not and can not be given a free pass for it just because people say this is nothing new for him or that the kid's parents are OK with it.

my logic was right on the money regarding this incident. I clearly wasn't talking about all situations in the world ... I was talking about this one.

I did not say that anything the parents have no problem with ... is ok. Obviously thats not true ... some parents have molested their own kids, some have sold them, I could go on and on. I don't think you would expect every statement you make to be taken out of context and to the most extreme example.

I still say there was nothing wrong with this situation and I think the kids statement along with the parents statements reinforce that.

We may disagree and thats fine.

thanks, o man of mozarella. I feel better knowing that my limpid voice is being heard, even if it is by a person of the cheddar persuasion.

KEY: whether the parents or the kid is "ok with it" is not decisive. I am surprised that some of you still want to split haris over that seemingly obvious view, but there it is.

I don't think he assaulted the kid ... did you read what the kid said? If that was assult there would be a hell of alot more assault cases in the U.S. imo ... even remotely considering that assault is ridiculous. Sounds like some just have a vendetta against Knight.

Skippy - I could care less about Knight. Granted I would not have hired him if I was at TT because a loose cannon will always have trouble around him. All I was saying was that if you hit or lay your hands on someone, they can file a police report and have you arrested. As I said before, just because you are arrested does not mean you will be convicted but it is not easy to get out of that entire situation unscathed. What Knight did was wrong - period. If TT is OK with that then that is their call but that still does not make it right.