Team defense

Just remembered ... the Bills are 8th in the country in team defense at 55.8 pts per game.

1.Air Force 58.7

2.Utah 52.4

3.Pitt 53.4

4.Neb 53.5

5.Creighton 55.0

6.S Carolina 55.0

7.Wisc 55.7

8. SLU 55.8

9. OU 56.0

10.Tex Tech 56.2

Holding TCU to 50 pts probably moves us in front of Wisconsin ... unless they hold whoever they play next below about 53 pts.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

After they hit three long bombs in the first couple of minutes and took a 13-4 lead we basically shut down their offense for the rest of the game--37 points in about 35 minutes. It is truly remarkable how we defend the perimeter and yet sag and double team in the post. It takes great hustle and effort.

I thought that fish and Sloan had fabulous games. They defended and rebounded like demons and were solid all around.

Question? Have we ever seen a team that can shoot more bricks from 3 point land-- absolute rim benders-- and then recover and swish a bunch of long ones. Are we streaky or what?

I loved the half time adjustments that Brad and the coaches implemented. We came out and really took it to them in the paint with big Tom. He seemed very gimpy and his leg was wrapped. he is a warrior because even though he could barely run he was fighting hard for the ball.

I know it is like a broken record but if we can shoot the ball with a decent percentage we can beat almost any team in the nation. Nice road win. Go Bills!

fish had a very good game. sloan's numbers might not look that gaudy, but he played a whale of a floor game imo. frericks came out at the beginning of the second half and was the man. again, when he and izik played well tonite, we looked like a whole different team. they are our keys imo. while reggie was off, drejaj and fish picked up the slack. between the 3 of them, they are really a nice set of guards imo.

tcu really seemed like a bad team imo. we should have won by more, but a win on the road is a win that in the past has been hard earned. i like it. let's have a big game saturday and have a great time at our party!

i like frank. i like earl as well. maybe they ought to put the two of them together. we would actually have a complete broadcast team that does a little homework. ramsey and joe w seem to wing it imo.

but he is not a good Play by play guy plain and simple. Watching the K state over again on sharter's replay last sunday, it was embarassing how many mistakes Frank made....calling Fish drejaj, clueless about the foul situation at the end of the game, then reporting Reggie calling a time out at the end. He tries hard but he is just not good of the cuff, he needs prepared statements.

While this may have been the quickest game I have been to in a long time a few things really stood out seeing this team live for the first time this season.

Our big men seem to pass out of the post extremely well. Ian had some problems when the defense collapsed and he brought the ball down too low and gave the TCU defenders a shot to create a turnover. Tom was much better than I anticipated I came away impressed...I believe he is an upgrade over Kenny Brown who I saw for 2 yrs...Tom is further along in development as a Jr as Kenny was. I was concerned that numerous times during the second half Tom was noticably tired and in pain, I am presuming this is the asthma condition, but this could be a potential problem late in games when we need his post play against tougher opponents.

Josh made some very tough rebounds tonight late in the 2nd half when Tom was not in the ball game, however I think Josh could have exposed TCU with a better transition game since TCU was so slow to get back on the defensive side. I think Josh is about as solid and has a very well rounded game as any guard in America...he does everything above average in every facet of the game in my opinion. Drejaj looked like old self hitting timely 3s and playing tough defense on the perimeter. Izik was as aggressive as I have ever seen more so than ever last season attacking the rim using his exceptional ballhandling skills to exploit slower big men.

TCU is a bad team, so this was a must win regardless if it was on the road, these are teams good teams handle and put away and don't let them hang around all game. How many times will it be said by opposing coaches and media-types "SLU played the toughest defense against us than any other team". The count has to be to at leas 4 times this year. Lets see if we can keep this winning streak alive against a much more formidable opponent.

I think ranking defenses by how much they keep a team away from their average points is better than strictly lowest average points given up. With just lowest points the other teams ability to score is not taken into account and some teams can appear have to good defense by playing a lot of bad shooting/deliberate offenses.

Massey][/b rates this way.

Here is the current top 11 (which strikes me as a pretty good list of the top defenses):

1 Air Force

2 Pitt

3 Utah

4 Nebraska

5 Wisconsin

6 Louisville

7 Cincinnati

8 Stanford

9 Saint Louis

10 Washington St

11 Creighton

>>tcu really seemed like a bad team imo. we should have won by more, but a win on the road is a win that in the past has been hard earned.<<

For me, this game tells us that this SLU team is significantly ahead of last year's team early in conference play. Compare this game to Houston last year. We got behind early at Houston and fell apart. This year, even when our designated scorer (Reggie) is having a bad night and we got behind early, we have enough scoring from other people to carry the day on the road against a bad team. Last year, even against bad teams, Marque had to have a great night or we lost. When our outside shooting goes cold, finally this Billikans team can pound the ball inside and generate points.

it was my understanding that brad got squeezed out when wisconsin ad was supposedly promised by majerus that he would take the job. brad was then uncerimoniously let go and then majerus reneged. the ad couldnt back track and got similar bo ryan then to step in.

remember, brad has said once he gets his players, he expects to pick up the offensive pace. imo, the billikens already look to score more and sooner than they used to. if i remember correctly, when brad was the head coach at loras, his teams played up tempo.

the aspect i hope never changes is brads emphasis on defense. nothing makes me more upset than watching the supposed great teams with all the best players going through the motions on defense.

He may need to get better and time will let that happen. Remember, we get good PR from him on his TV and radio shows - we can not say the same from Rammer. I can accept Frank as he grows because he is more respected sports reporter than Rammer and we need the positive PR>

Being an OU fan also ... I have noticed that Brad's style resembles Kelvin's alot. They both play very physical man to man defense and don't score that many points. Kelvin's philosophy is the same as Brad's ... you better bring it in practice and play very good D or you will be riding the bench.

The main difference is the athleticism OU has as compared with SLU. But our new recruits are closing the gap. They even have an undersized pt gd. as we will with Polk.

OU has had a lot of success with Sampson ... it took a few years ... but over the last 5 they are probably one of the top 5-6 programs in the country.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

funny thing is that imo brad might be a better coach than majerus. wisconsin screwed up. granted they are doing well with ryan, but keep in mind all the upperclassmen that wisconsin are winning with are primarily players that brad gave to wisconsin. let's see if they continue to win over the next years when ryan's recruits take over the program.