In 25 words of 5 syllables or less......

Dawgfan

Why would a recruit choose SLU over SIU? What would the selling point(s) be? There are only 5 D1 schools that have been to the last 5 NCAA tournaments, SIU is one of those teams, where was SLU for those five years? SIU is ranked by many as a top 25 team this year, where is SLU?I must confess I am always amused by the "we should have offered" (Brooks, Falker, Tatum, Shaw, etc. et al posts), like they were all there for the asking. If not basketball excellence, is it the scenic campus, sandwiched between the friendly confines of Highway 40 and market, why would a kid choose SLU???? Is it playing in the A10 arenas, before home crowds of 700?

I just don't get the arrogance.

>About the only thing SIU is on the same level as SLU is on

>is athletics. I know of nobody who would honestly choose

>SIU over SLU if money was not an issue.

On the same level? I would argue that SIU is a couple of levels above SLU right now on athletics, and, by the way, most athletes choose a school because of it's respective athletic program.

SIU has had a great run. Kudos to you guys. Last 5 year-end RPIs: 50, 34, 25, 17, & 29. To say the least, I'd be pleased if SLU did that between now and 2011.

Presumably different factors come into play for different recruits. The value of a SLU education (not intended as a slight to SIU) hopefully convinces some. FWIW, I think it's a nice campus. Some likely prefer the bigger city scene. Maybe some prefer the Catholic aspect. Strictly athletically, there's certainly a lot of latent enthusiasm w/in St. Louis as evidenced by Spoon era. Maybe a combo of local kids want to be the next Douglass/Gray/Bonner, or Claggett/Highmark, or Liddell/Lisch. Obviously, the new arena will help. (Only marginally exceeded the 25 word limit.)

I agree w/ your (presumed) point though, no way SIU can be considered a "fallback school" to a D1 prospect who isn't offered by SLU.

Obviously, of course, the nature of message boards is to be either WAY too high (arrogance) and/or WAY too low (despair) w/ very little in the middle (being rational). I guess that's the fun of them.

Pat D.

First of all, a LOT of athletes choose a school that is strong academically. Let's face it, on academics, there is no contest between SLU and SIUC.

Second, you obviously have not been to Saint Louis University's campus in the last decade....'nuff said.

Third, Carbondale vs. St. Louis....again, 'nuff said.

Fourth, is SIUC more successful than SLU in basketball? Duh!!! But how many guys have you had play in the NBA in the last decade as a percentage of players on the team? Get the point?

My brother graduated from SIU Carbondale and my son graduated from SIU Edwardsville as have several friends. I have nothing against the school, but when you come on a SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY BILLIKEN BOARD (you did notice the URL, right?) and dis the Billikens, you are pretty hypocritical to cite "arrogance" as a factor.

I am wondering if you were just making a tongue in cheek comment...

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

arrogance?

which of us is at the siu message board posting?

you have a lot of arrogance coming to our house to ask imo.

coach, i POST here, stltoday, the a-10 board, and the sports lounge. i bet i havent POSTED 10 times total in my life at individual school boards out side of billiken.com. once again you show your ignorance. probably all those hits to the head playing division one sports. the countrybear from siu and now his cohort have posted more here on our board than i have posted in my life at opponent's message boards.

dawgy said about slu,

"is it the scenic campus, sandwiched between the friendly confines of Highway 40 and market"

fyi, if you follow those directions you will be at either the scotttrade center, union atation, or maybe the radio station ky98. surely you actually know where our campus is at?

If I had to rank, athletically, schools ahead of our sorry little butts, I would rank, in the current snapshot of time, SIU ahead of SLU. No doubt. No brainer. But things will change, they always do. Can you say Rich Herron? I know I can say Ron Ekker.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One man's arrogance is another man's school pride. Unless you're Billsboy and then you come on only to attack roy.

My kids are looking at schools now. Well, one is the other is already at college. As much as I would love for them to follow either of their parents' footsteps, which would be great trips down nostalgia lane, I also want them to go where they feel it would serve their interests much better. If the young one does what she claims she wants to, then she will need a school with a number of atheltic teams and frankly, I don't think SLU would fit her bill. All that means is different strokes for different folks. Both have been to th SLU campus and loved it. Sadly (or not) neither will go there. And it has nothing to do with either the quality of the education or the athletic teams success rates.

P.I. I don't go to any other fans web pages. I have enough trouble without asking for it.

I don't doubt what you say is true, but it further iilustrates the volitile nature of recruiting that a young man will consider the past 5 years as anything approaching a basketball "tradition." If you look back over the past 25 years, which is my frame of reference, the two schools are very close in terms wins and loses and quality of teams. For some periods of time, including recently they have acheived more success. At the other times, we have had what appeared to be the better teams. I believe the all time series is very close, with only a game or two seperating the schools in head to head competition. It's ridiculous for either school to claim superiority in terms of tradition. They have a sweet 16 appearance recently, we have what amounted to a national championship in the past. This year, who knows? That's why they the games. Closer to the original point, why do you fellows let Dawgfan upset you? He's obviously jusy trying to stir something up. He can't support his postion and his claims are silly.

>Why would a recruit choose SLU over SIU? What would the

>selling point(s) be? There are only 5 D1 schools that have

>been to the last 5 NCAA tournaments, SIU is one of those

>teams, where was SLU for those five years? SIU is ranked by

>many as a top 25 team this year, where is SLU?I must confess

>I am always amused by the "we should have offered" (Brooks,

>Falker, Tatum, Shaw, etc. et al posts), like they were all

>there for the asking. If not basketball excellence, is it

>the scenic campus, sandwiched between the friendly confines

>of Highway 40 and market, why would a kid choose SLU???? Is

>it playing in the A10 arenas, before home crowds of 700?

>

>I just don't get the arrogance.

US NEWS ranking of national universities:

SLU: 77

SIU: Tier 3

99% of college athletes don't play professional sports. Education matters.

As a sidenote, my brother-in-law played college football against SIU. He has always said that if is child was stupid, he would send him/her to SIU. It may not be the best school, but campus was a lot of fun.

I hope I can offer some objective reasoning. I was born and raised just outside of Carbondale and am a life long Saluki fan. I am also an alumni of SLU.

-----

Not every division 1 athlete is going to play pro ball. Some are very happy to be receiving a free ride to school. I would say this would have to depnd on what the athlete wants to do once he is finished with school.

If you want a degree in business or are smart enough to be pre-med as well as an athlete you should choose SLU.

If your desire is to get into the field of mass communications or engineering you should probably choose SIU.

It all depends on what degree you want. Both schools have programs that are better than the others. SLU as a whole has a better reputation than SIU but SIU does have some programs that SLU cannot compete with.

This really make's me wonder about Matt Shaw. Maybe he just wanted to stay close to home (I'm glad he did as an SIU fan). I believe he had an offer on the table from Stanford as well. I had academic scholarship offers from both SLU and SIU coming out of high school. I would have dropped either for the chance at a free ride at Stanford.

Maybe I think differently than most but I have never understood why the Ivy League doesn't have some of the best athletics in the nation. If I was a stud athlete I would choose the best school in the country.

This is just my humble opinion. There could be many reasons why someone would choose either program over the other.

If this long rant doesn't make much sense, I apologize.

very good post. someone comes forward and represents the saluki's in a positive light and presents a well thought out post that is very fair. dawgy and countrybear owe you.