Future recruits?

I would like to know what the bills are looking at in the future. Does anyone know any recruits the bills might be looking at for the 2005 or 2006 season i think it might be a little to early to determine 2007. 2005 or 2006 means that they are a current jr or soph. Any info would be great thanks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny that we have not heard more about our PF we hope to have in the fold in the spring. I have not heard any names mentioned at all.

SLU is definetely recruiting Alex Tyus 6'7 Soph Haz Central, Jarod Leonard 6'5? Soph DeSmet.

Hopefully we are still in on Kyle Kirk who moved to Springfield.

Lisch is our top priority in 05. We are also looking at a 6'7 kid at O'Fallon from that class. His name is Kellerman maybe??? something like that.

Alex Tyus is a sophomore forward for Hazelwood Central. He will likely be the man for the Hawks for the next two years, with the departures of Aaron Jackson and Kalen Grimes.

Don't forget about Matthew Akins from Jennings. I believe he's a junior this year and is around 6-7 or 6-8. Of course, he's drawn comparisons to Kelly Thames.

I don't know if I would call Tyus a wing.

He definetely has the handles to play on the outside but not much shooting range. He makes his points on the inside and has a nice jumper from about 15 feet. He needs to work on his outside shooting. He plays bigger than he is, can block shots, and board. If he grows another couple inches he could be a very good PF in college.

Does anybody know anything about Dustin Macguire(sp?) a soph out of Bethalto?

i have seen dustin a few times. he is only 6'4" maybe 6'5" tall and is the center/power forward for civic memorial hs. bethalto. he scores mostly on short jumpers and put backs. pretty agile, but not the speed of chris sloan. he is a true tweener without an outside game. being only a sophomore, he could grow or get better to play the wing, but right now he is a power forward at best and a short one at that. he does a fantastic job though given his size. i will say that shaw was similar at that age.

I caught Dustin at Mascoutah a couple of weeks ago. Nice player for a sophomore, with some strength. Dustin played in the low post area that night out to about 13ft. Nice shot, but no drives to the rim and no extraordinary hops that game. Appeared to be the biggest guy on his team at about 6-4. The better looking prospect that night was Mascoutah's freshman guard, Rob(?) Rudy. Rudy is about 6-2 with hops, nice jump shot, nice ballhandler, heady player for a frosh.

>His name is Kellerman

>.

The Billikens are actually recruiting the coaches son. No offense

but I don't see him developing as a power player. A wing maybe but

at this rate that's all SLU would have. Is there a legitimate 4

at the high school level that SLU is looking at. By legitimate

I mean 6'8 to 6'10 guys.

I don't know if there are any legit big prospects in the area right now.

There are a lot of kids who are undersized -- like 6-foot-5, 6-6 or 6-7 -- who could grow in the next few years, but I haven't seen anyone jump out at me.

One of the best young post players I have seen is Sanijay Watts, a sophomore from Jennings. He has said publicly he really wants to play at St. Louis U., but right now he is 6-4 and unless he grows a couple inches the odds of him playing for the Billikens aren't very good. If he grows a couple inches, he could be a nice player inside. He's got soft hands and finishes a lot more near the basket than most high school kids.

Chris Kellermann is a decent player, but I agree with one of the earlier posts in that he is probably no more than a Missouri Valley Conference prospect right now -- if that. He has good size, but he needs to get better. For my money, I'd rather have Mike Kalicak from DeSmet, who is the same size, but a better shooter. Kalicak, a senior, has been really up and down this season but how many 6-7 kids have his combination of size, guard skills, perimeter shooting and leaping ability?

- Nate

How come nobody has mentioned Tyler Hansborough down in Poplar Bluff? I know he's a junior and that Mizzou is going hard after him, but if SLU gets Lisch, maybe he can convince Hansborough that this would be a better place to play.

Don't forget that Ian is only a freshman and that Bryce Husak is being red-shirted, so we'll have a couple real big guys for a few years to come.

hansborough is big big time. duke, north carolina, florida, or arizona big time. no chance he is coming here imo. i personally dont think missouri will get him either. even with dad being an alum. i would be shocked beyond belief for hansborough to come to st louis.

kevin actually used to play aau/select ball in grade school and ran up against tyler then. all the parents of the kids that played with kevin have told me that kevin was always the best player in the tourney's except for when he ran up against tyler. they know each other. wont say they are friends, but they know each other.

Roy, you are lowering your expectations - why could a big time player not come to SLU. You have to start thinking more positive. That being said, I agree Tyler is not a viable option for SLU given his father's connection to MU and all that I have heard about how the kid wants to go somewhere outside of MO.

I'm not Roy, but I think the Saint Louis U. program has to rise some more before attracting a Top 25 type of recruit is viable. Other than Larry Hughes, when was the last time SLU got such a player? It hasn't happened in the time I've been following the team (beginning with the 1988-89 season). I'd like it to happen and believe the day is coming, with the new arena in the picture, but right now the pressure on a Top 25 caliber player to go to an established superpower (Duke, Arizona, North Carolina, Kentucky, etc &l;but just a few more&r;) is overwhelming. The pressure comes from the egocentric perceptions of the players themselves, from their families and friends, from their coaches, from the media, from the histories of those universities, and from the fandom of college basketball at large. SLU has a ways to go to attract a player like Tyler Hansborough (or Shaun Livingston). SLU hasn't even been in the picture with Top 25 (nationally) players from St. Louis (David Lee, for example). Gotta crawl before you walk and walk before you run.

Thicks ... I agree, what we really need is to have another top 25 type player from St. Louis. Then if our program is on the upswing we have a better chance to land him.

Could Kevin Lisch be that type of player ... is he a top 25 calliber player ... top 50? . Does not playing AAU hurt his stature nationally

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Thicks, this brings up an interesting point. The Larry Hughes of the world are hard to attract even when the program rises to the next level. Question for everybody though. Of course, everyone likes to see a guy like Larry Hughes play. It's fun and it brings attention to the program. So, I would love to have that calibur player. But, are we better off getting a guy like Hughes who will dominate, put people in the seats, etc - but then only have him for one year. Or, are we better off getting guys who might be big recruits, but maybe not as big as somebody like Hughes, Livingston, etc. For example, a guy like Shane Battier, who will contribute all four years, etc. And maybe he is not the best example. You have your teams out there who will always land big recruits because of their name. Then you have teams that come around every 5-7 years because they landed a big player. Then you have teams that are always good because they reload across the board every year. Ideally, you probably want good solid recruiting every year and then hope to land a big recruit ever so often. My point is, would you all rather we spend recruiting resources on a big time talent knwoning we may lose out, or would you rather keep going after classes like we did this year and hope to consistently have a very good program every year? Just curious.

I think I like our strategy this year. If these new recruits come in and stay all four years, then we can reload each year and have some consistency which in turn will draw future recruits. Also, if a player is around all four years, they maybe more willing to come back and help the program. Another question, is Hughes willing to come back and help the program? I never hear much about that. Guys like Ewing, Mourning, and so on always help Georgetown. Duke and NC and UCLA have alum stars help out and help influence. Just curious.