Rivalry

I was reading a thread where people were getting all lathered up about Mizzou not playing SLU and then going off and talking negative about Mizzou fans. Then someone brought up a list of rivalries. since I have been a Mizzou fan all of my life I can tell you all about great MU/KU games and Illinois/Mizzou games. Some of my best friends played basketball at SLU and they tell me some of their stories of great games of the past and various run-ins with all kinds of players and coaches. But the one thing I have not picked up on is who is SLU's rival. I have talked to ex players, current players, and even players SLU is recruiting and none of them could tell me who SLU's big rival is. So I have two questions:

1. Who is SLU's rival?

2. Why does everyone on this board complain so much about Mizzou not playing SLU?

I think that Dayton and X will develop into decent rivalries, but they're really each other's biggest rival.

There are a few schools that I would like to go back to playing on a regular basis, namely Marquette and DePaul, but also Bradley - who's their biggest rival? It sounds like we used to have a good rivalry with them.

I'm glad that Loyola is back on the schedule, and I hope that we can continue to play them.

Bradley was our biggie when I was there...long long time ago. I had always hoped Louisville or UC would develop into a biggie as we followed them around from conference to conference. But didn't happen. I kind of like Charlotte as a rival...but it's never gonna be a biggie. Like just about everything about SLU sports, we're a 'tweener when it comes to rivalries. Mizzery's got 2 rivals they don't need a third...hell, they don't even think we exist.

So I guess it's conceivable that we could rekindle the Bradley rivalry - I don't think we've played them since I was in college (mid to late 90's). BU offers proximity and some similarities (private, non-football) - why not?

Maybe Metz can shed a little light on the subject.

The problem is that we'd do a home and home with Bradley and then skip a year or two. Our conference is where we need to find someone (till we move again.) My vote is for Temple. They'll hate us after last year, and if they continue to be clutching grabbing foul machines we'll hate them soon enough. My son (7) tells me to stop "playing like Temple" if I give him a little contact going for a rebound on the driveway.......

I am a Bloomington native as well, and I agree that Bradley is very very similar to SLu and would make a lot of sense, however they are so caught on the ISU-BU thing. The war on 74 is more intense than ever.

The reason everyone is so hot about SLU and Mizzou not playing is because Mizzou decided not to play us. We tried to play and Mizzou backed out. It only makes sense for the schools to play. They also backed out directly after a big time scare for their program, it made them look like cowards.

I really don't care about Mizzou. It was fun to play them during those three years (they were great games!), but if we don't play them again, that's fine with me.

It's too bad Rockhurst isn't DI - the St. Louis-KC rivalry would be great.

Actually I don't see how it makes sense for the two schools to play. Why doesn't it make sense for SLU to play MO State and/or SEMO every year, two teams that could beat them and two teams that are at opposite ends of the mid major spectrum. I would place SLU toward the low end of the mid major spectrum, so it would make more sense for SLU to play those guys. Well in my opinion it does.

>I am a Bloomington native as well, and I agree that Bradley

>is very very similar to SLu and would make a lot of sense,

>however they are so caught on the ISU-BU thing. The war on

>74 is more intense than ever.

>

Hehe thats funny. ISU is pathetically bad, and that rivalry has lost a lot of its luster. It will pick up on the ISU side this year because of Bradleys sweet 16 run.

I've been harping this for a year now. [h1]PLAY BRADLEY.[/h1] It's like two mirrored schools. Neither one has a really big rivalry, neither plays football, both are in mid major conferences, and so on.

I don't know why we can't get something done with Bradley. I know Les is trying to get more home and homes with Chicago schools so to help recruiting in the Chicago area. Their Depaul series probably wont last too long after Bradley went up to Chicago and wacked them without OBryant last year. I would think they have a few open dates on the schedule left.

I would assume both coaches would be in favor, and maybe Brad should give a ring up to Coach Les to see what can get done.

Why Bradley? Who cares if that was our rival 30 years ago? There are plenty of schools nearby where basketball is the money sport. Bradley isn't in our conference or our state. Bradley should have a rivalry with Illinois St. going. They are barely 30 minutes away from each other.

Mizzou should be our natural rival because we are the two biggest basketball programs in the state (despite MSU's recent successes), Mizzou is the biggest school, and SLU is in the biggest market. Plus, we're 90 minutes away from each other. Both schools have a lot to gain financially (sold out arenas no matter which town you play in) and from a recruiting standpoint.

But, because Mizzou is too stubborn to play us, we'll have to accept that we don't have a real rival right now. Xavier and Dayton are the other logical choices, but who knows if we'll be in the same conference forever the way these things shake up.

Finally, rivalries DO NOT have to be exclusive of one another. Sure, Mizzou has good ones with Illinois and KU, Xavier has Cincy, and Dayton and Xavier have each other. Why can't another meaningful game be allowed? Mizzou may be more excited for KU every year, but the in-state rivalries can't be tossed aside.

I think "low end of the mid major spectrum" is pretty rough. Mid-majors are classified as such because they don't have the means to become true major programs. I think with the size of SLU's market and the school itself, it has potential to be a major program, and really should be. I would like to play MSU and SEMO every year, but those aren't the ones to get excited about. That, however, could be how Mizzou looks at SLU, and that's a shame. SLU can get back to major form, and can become a program like Xavier or Gonzaga (it only takes a few special players and a coach who stays put for a while).

Moot? They just got a new coach! Norm tried to make it a moot point. Brad leaves a spot open for them every year, and there is an open line of communication. It's not a moot point.

Why do people want to settle for the bottom half of the MVC? Is this yet another indicator that SLU fans are content with mediocrity?

>I was reading a thread where people were getting all

>lathered up about Mizzou not playing SLU and then going off

>and talking negative about Mizzou fans. Then someone

>brought up a list of rivalries. since I have been a Mizzou

>fan all of my life I can tell you all about great MU/KU

>games and Illinois/Mizzou games. Some of my best friends

>played basketball at SLU and they tell me some of their

>stories of great games of the past and various run-ins with

>all kinds of players and coaches. But the one thing I have

>not picked up on is who is SLU's rival. I have talked to ex

>players, current players, and even players SLU is recruiting

>and none of them could tell me who SLU's big rival is. So I

>have two questions:

>

>1. Who is SLU's rival?

>

>2. Why does everyone on this board complain so much about

>Mizzou not playing SLU?

I think people complain primarily because this board has a history of being inhabited by Mizzou trolls - more so than fans of any other program. I think if they would go away, the topic wouldn't come up much. I'm not sure why they are obsessed with us and want our approval.

As much as Mizzou fans would hate to admit it, I would venture to say the three games they played against SLU were the most exciting non-conference games they played during that time frame. Each game was decided in the final minute or seconds. Not sure what Mizzou is afraid of or what is so threatening. It's just a game. It sure seemed fun for fans from both programs.

I get a chuckle out of these Mizzou fans. I didn't grow up here, but Mizzou was never a program that came up when you would talk about big-time national programs. That's why when I moved here I was surprised at the arrogance of Mizzou fans. Many that I have run across act like they are some national athletic powerhouse. I expect a certain amount of arrogance from Carolina, USC football, Kentucky, Florida State football etc., but Mizzou? Yes they are a state school, but their limited accomplishments don't match their arrogance. There have been more Mizzou idiots on this board than fans of any other program. There have been the occasional reasonable Mizzou fan like MUTGR and thicks, but most are idiots.

I get kind of tired of the phrase "content with mediocrity." Should we kidnap Mike Alden till MU plays us? It isn't happening.

I'd love to see Creighton, Bradley, heck bring in the Shockers. I'd like to see the cream of the MVC play us more. II still think it's hard to impossible to have a rival out of conference without a gov't mandate, like Louisville vs Kentucky.

Well said, Ace. Mizzou needs to knock the ego down a notch.

The final scores of those three games had a combined margin of 5. A game at the Dome, a sellout at Mizzou, a sellout at SLU. Who could forget the heartbreak when Stokes (who was 0 for 13 at the time) hit his first shot at the buzzer to beat SLU in the 2001-2001 season? These were amazing games, and then they vanished, thanks to that greasy Q and his excuses. Mizzou needs good publicity and to get its program back on track, and SLU needs any type of fan interest it can get. These games need to continue.

While technically Bradley may have been in the bottom half of the MVC, they were still 22-11 and made the Sweet Sixteen - no one's recommending that we play Drake or Evansville.

New coach or not, I don't see Mizzou scheduling us any time soon.

I don't see how you can say it isn't happening unless something drastic happens. I would think that Alden would want another big money game. Work out the financials and there's a great series here. Before, it was always an issue with the head coaches at Mizzou, not Alden.

And by the way, let's get over the Valley complex. Who in St. Louis is going to be pumped about a "rivalry" with Wichita State?! There's not enough to get excited about with the other two, either. I think these would be a nice non-conference games to have, but come on.

>Why Bradley? Who cares if that was our rival 30 years ago?

>There are plenty of schools nearby where basketball is the

>money sport. Bradley isn't in our conference or our state.

>Bradley should have a rivalry with Illinois St. going. They

>are barely 30 minutes away from each other.

>

Plenty of schools nearby? Peoria is 2 hours away. Name a school that is closer and of this size that is as similar to SLU. Please do. Cause you cant.

>Finally, rivalries DO NOT have to be exclusive of one

>another. Sure, Mizzou has good ones with Illinois and KU,

>Xavier has Cincy, and Dayton and Xavier have each other.

>Why can't another meaningful game be allowed? Mizzou may be

>more excited for KU every year, but the in-state rivalries

>can't be tossed aside.

A rivalry is 2 sided. Mizzou fans hate KU and KU fans hate Mizzou. I doubt many Mizzou fans hate SLU, besides the guys on this board. While we may hate the Temple team, they could probably give a ###### about us.

Plus, why would we want to play the bottom half of the notsoBig12?