Who replaces Drejaj

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Danny Brown is the guy who I am sure the coaches would like to see step-up and earn that spot. He has shown some flashes, specifically the GW game last season, but has not been a consistent performer. Soderberg has always said that Danny has the ability to be a lock-down defender. I would like the athleticism in the backcourt with Danny, Lisch, and Liddell.

If you go strictly on ability, it should be Danny Brown. There is really no debating that. Whether or not Danny grabs this opportunity and runs with it is another story.

I would love to see a lineup of IV, KL, TL, OI, and DB, although given that Obi has yet to play competitive basketball on this level, I am sure at the beginning of the season we will see a lot of LM.

You may have seen more of him so I may be off on my judgment, but from what I saw he had a really smooth touch on his shot and I saw him offering quite a bit more on offense than LM. I know what you mean about lack of mobility but I attributed that his not being in playing shape. Again, you may be right. He may just be real slow. Only time will tell.

We do know that he was All-State in Texas as a Junior. We just need to hope he can get back to form.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Danny Brown and Adam Knollmeyer in the starting lineup, along with Ian, Tommie and Kevin.

If Knollmeyer comes in and plays hard, he could be a nice addition to the lineup next to Ian. He brings a lot more to the table at the four than Luke Meyer does.

Meyer could start at the three (next to Knollmeyer or J.J. at the four) instead of Brown.

- Nate

I would like to see either Polk or one of our PF--JJ, Obi or Knollmeyer step up and be the starter. This would also allow a competition between Brown and Meyer along with Maguire for the other spot.

Liddell, Lisch and IV are set as starters, assuming IV is back. I think we could go with our 4 guard lineup of Polk and Meyer/Brown if the matchups work. I think we can go with a more traditional lineup and add our real PF--JJ, Obi or Knollmeyer when needed. I think Polk is going to be a real wild-card for our team, if he is able to hit his outside shot he will be real valuable for our team. His speed, quickness and ball handling are needed for us, but he has to be able to knock down his outside shots to keep the defense honest on him.

I guess by the time the conference season comes around ideally I would like to see:

TL as point/forward(point on offense guarding a 3 on defense)

KL as 2/3

Polk as 1/2(off guard offense and guarding pg on defense)

3 headed monster--winner of JJ, Obi or Knollmeyer

IV

This leaves Brown, Meyer and Maguire coming off the bench and Husak as IV primary backup. I really want to see both Obi and Knollmeyer averaging more minutes than JJ this year but I really don't know what to expect out of our PF yet.

>>I would like to see either Polk or one of our PF--JJ, Obi or Knollmeyer step up and be the starter.<<

I don't see how DP can start unless his jump shot has improved tremendously. When DP and TL are in the game together, our perimeter shooting becomes very weak. Result: in the half court, other teams can zone us or clog the lane by sagging on DP and TL. DP and TL can play together if we press / trap but Brad rarely does so I doubt we shall see much of DP and TL playing together.

I am simply amazed that some predict Obi would play ahead of JJ. I have no idea what the basis of this view is but it certainly has no relation to actual reality on planet Earth.

It might be helpful if some of you actually watched these 2 play, especially on defense and rebounding. Especially when they are guarding each other.

I sure hope JJ beings it to the games this year because IMHO there is just no doubt about whom this board should be hoping will emerge this year at the 4.

Also, I am somewhat optimistic that Knollmeyer can contribute right away, although now I am doing what I just cgot done criticizing: making judgments on a guy I have never actually seen on the court. I ought to cut that out!

any comments from guys who have seen him play?

I don't think I made a prediction on who would receive the most minutes at the 4 spot next year. I just stated that I would hope Obi and Knollmeyer will receive more minutes than JJ. If they do that would be because they have earned those minutes over JJ, we all know that Brad doesn't just give game time minutes out, they are earned. JJ averaged 12.5 minutes last year after 11.7 and 9.1 the previous years. If JJ is suddenly able to put it together and show he deserves to be on the court 20 minutes plus, great, but I doubt this will happen. I hope Obi and Knollmeyer outplay JJ and earn more minutes than him next year. I also expect Brad to put the best lineup out there to win games next year and if it is JJ who earns those minutes so be it.

... I think those pushing for Knollmeyer or Obi are just demonstrating a complete loss of any expectations on the JJ front. JJ's been in the system for four years and still hasn't put an ounce of water in the overall pail. And this is at SLU ... a veritable basketball graveyard as opposed to a basketball factory. Three years of unfulfilled expectations .... the "cut bait' crowd has a pretty steady platform from which to holler. If JJ is the best we've got, with two new fours on the horizon, then the optimism might be short-lived.

Can the answer be JJ? Sure. Why can't he suddenly have an epiphany and discover the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car like the Bruce did in Asbury Park? But if history and trends are any indication, will he? Count me in the crowd that doubts it. If Jj is the man and the man is the same reasonable facsimile as last year, history tells me we're screwed.

>>JJ's been in the system for four years and still hasn't put an ounce of water in the overall pail<<

Did you watch the UNC and Zags games last year? Agree that his play and focus have not been consistent but to say JJ has shown nothing is just wrong IMHO. I'm with Doc and think JJ should be our PF to start the season. See if Obi is healthy (and mobile) and let he and Adam get acclimated to D1 for the first portion of the season. Then if JJ drifts as the season progresses, up the minutes for our other two options at PF should they earn it. But I do hope Brad starts the season with JJ out of the doghouse and gives him the opportunity to gain trust. I'm equally hopeful JJ grabs that opportunity and runs with it.

I am just asking what is the basis for even hoping Obi will get more minutes than JJ?

Is there any evidence that it is even conceivable? No, not in my opinion.

I am hopeful that Obi will contribute down the road but I really do not see it this year and I think hoping that he will is pretty misplaced. I am personally not in a hurry to see much from Obi this year and in fact that sort of expectation is pretty unrealistic, if not delusional and completely out of touch with the program--as I said.

I am asking in earnest; on what basis can we dispute that??

This is not meant to knock Obi or what he could be ... but he was the Private School player of the year in Texas. It's not the same as it would be here ... not even close. So we are better off going by what we see than basing anything on that ranking

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

Doc ... how can you say it has no relation to reality ... we have seen these things off and on from JJ for sometime ... but somehow it never seems to happen during games. What the reason is doesn't matter ... whether it is JJ or UB ... it still doesn't happen. Maybe JJ will finaly come through ... but to say that thinking he won't has no basis for reality is simply ridiculous.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

I am of the school that JJ has shown he can bring it...UNC, Zaga, and a few others. I'm not all that sure what UB doesn't like about this guy that has put him on such a short lease having seen him play only infrequently. What specifically do most of you think is UB's problem with him: mental lapses, lack of effort, won't listen, what exactly keeps him riding the pine at a position we desperately need help in?

Read more carefully. I am wondering why anyone thinks OI will get more minutes. On what basis can we hope that Obi will get quality minutes this year?

Anyway we are speculating about what we hope to see. I fervently hope JJ gets a lot more minutes than OI, and I think that hope has a closer relation to reality than other options.

>

>Read more carefully. I am wondering why anyone thinks OI

>will get more minutes. On what basis can we hope that Obi

>will get quality minutes this year?

>

>Anyway we are speculating about what we hope to see. I

>fervently hope JJ gets a lot more minutes than OI, and I

>think that hope has a closer relation to reality than other

>options.

Why is it that you are so high on Justin Johnson? The guy has shown absolutely nothing. Nothing. Nothing. He has had 2? decent games in 3 years of playing and 4 years in the system. I'd rather cut ties with him and let some fresh blood get some minutes.

I would rather see Ian playing the 4 and Bryce at the 5 for the majority of the minutes. I'd have Knollmeyer and Obi backing up both spots, provided they are both in playing shape. Let JJ ride the pine for another year and get his MBA or whatever hes going after.

I won't deny that Knollmeyer or Obi could emerge as the 4, but you have to think JJ is the favorite at this point. Down to his last year with plenty of competition for the starting job, at this point he's got to finally be focused and stay that way, doesn't he? For God's sake, we just need him to play solid D and grab some boards, any offense is gravy. Maybe I'm foolishly optimistic when it comes to JJ, but I have to think Doc has nailed the frontrunner here.

"Down to his last year with plenty of competition for the starting job, at this point he's got to finally be focused and stay that way, doesn't he?"

JJ and Brad could be together for 10 years and never be on the same page. JJ's high-energy stream of consciousness play and Brad's rigid conservatism just aren't a good fit for each other. That bodes well for Obi and Knollmeyer.

billinkens said, "For God's sake, we just need him to play solid D and grab some boards, any offense is gravy. Maybe I'm foolishly optimistic when it comes to JJ, but I have to think Doc has nailed the frontrunner here."

what makes anyone think that it will finally sink in after being told that for four years already? for me, jj gravy is anything positive. i dont expect a thing because he hasnt shown the focus and discipline to give the coaches what they want for four years now i dont see how it will change now. but i guess jj will at least have the peace of mind knowing he didnt let them tell him what to do. good for him. that should do him great in all the gary rec leagues.

I would like to see BH play 15 min. a game to get ready for the following year. JJ should also get at least 20 min. If polk could shoot 30-35% from 3, that would win us a couple of games on that stat alone.

We have no idea what JJ's problem is. He certainly has been enthusiastic on the bench and is friends with all the other players. He has never shown up Brad publicly on the court and he always goes in and plays hard. Sometimes he tries to do too much, but he doesnt NOT LISTEN. He has mental lapses. Clarify yourself if I misunderstood.

>I would like to see BH play 15 min. a game to get ready for

>the following year. JJ should also get at least 20 min. If

>polk could shoot 30-35% from 3, that would win us a couple

>of games on that stat alone.

I don't know if BH will get to 15+ min a game, he only averaged 6 min this year. Split the difference and say 10-12, I think this is more likely and should give us(and Brad) an idea of what to expect the following year. Of course, if Brad or staff checked this board they would realize that planning for the following year is a folly because they are on the hot seat right now.

I hope this is the year that Polk gets to 30+% from 3pt land. I agree if he can do this because of how it would open up other things on offense it could be what we need to get over the hump and into the tourney.