SLU & College Football

Since college football is starting up again and since the board is kind of dead today, I was curious if you guys wished SLU had a college football team? I know we did at one time and according to my book, "The Top 100 Moments is St. Louis Sports", we were the first college to ever use the forward pass in a game (not Notre Dame, like they claim!). I have mixed emotions on the idea. I would definitely root for the Bills if they had a team and would go to as many games as I could, but I also don't stay up at night sulking because we don't have a team. What do you guys think? Of course, I am very happy that we have a basketball team instead!

P.S. The soccer Bills won 1-0 yesterday against Akron to start the season 1-0. They play No. 14 Virginia tomorrow at 1:30 on the road. Yes, I really am a soccer fan! :)

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

i cant name 5 college football players in the entire country and it doesnt bother me in the least. the fact that there probably arent but maybe 20 college football teams that breakeven financially in the entire country doesnt make the thought make much sense from the bottom line standpoint. the basketball team has enough sports to carry. plus we wont even get into the equal gender constraints it would create. emphatic no from me on billiken football.

jj, i believe slu does have a club hockey team. i was told the insurance costs and the gender equity thing keeps the school from having hockey.

A number of years ago I researched this "forward pass" because of obnoxious "domer" friend. Notre Dame has really a small part in the history of the forward pass and SLU has a large one. However, I think the claim of the "first" forward pass is inaccurate is several ways.

First "football" games: 1869 Rutgers and Princeton

(Early game had a variety of different rules and was more like "soccer" and rugby--there were likely "forward passes" at some point in this period of rule experimentation).

In 1882 there started with more regular rules (downs and such). I have seen old football histories myself (basement of Amherst College library for those wanting to look them up themselves or those skeptical) that talk about good "passing games" in the 1890's. I suppose those "passing games" could be of the backward/lateral kind but maybe not.

In 1906 there were definitely rules set for the forward pass. The rules were insisted upon by Teddy Roosevelt because they game was in extreme disrepute because of a lot of injury and deaths on the field. The pass was a way to open up the game but the first rules were pretty restrictive on passing.

I am not sure when SLU played their first game that season but I am skeptical that SLU was the first (a bunch of east coast teams and Kansas played on 9/22 for sure so if someone knows SLU played earlier or really early on that day it may be possible they were the first).

Anyway, the REAL argument is over who was the first team to regularly use and develop an offense around the forward pass and that was most DEFINITELY coach Eddie Coechems and SLU in 1907 (although University of Chicago's Amos Alonzo Stag also had some passing plays that year). SLU apparently had something like a modern naked screen pass. They were the first team to use the pass regularly and successfully. Brad Robinson (I once thought of using that as my Billikens.com pseudonym) was the QB and Jack Shneider his favorite target).

The forward pass was not used much in this era because there was no such thing as defensive interference so the pass had to be pretty short and the guy had to be wide open. In 1912 they changed the rules giving the offense some chance and defensive interference rules were started. It was not until 1913 (some 6 years after SLU) that ND came up with a passing offense and OF COURSE takes all the credit today.

http://home.no.net/birgerro/fwpassh.htm

I wish we would have kept our program alive and well from the early 1900's, as far as starting anew today...IMPOSSIBLE!

I have read the dreamers on the Marquette board posting that their are plans of them starting a football program...Their chances are as good as ours.

We should all just forget about having our own teams and root for Notre Dame!

I'd rather root for Boston College! You gotta cheer for the fellow Jesuits! Besides, I had a messy break up with a girl from ND earlier this year. :)

We hail Saint Louis U."

I don't SLU should ever bother with football again for those above stated rules, cost probably the main one.

The one thing I would like SLU to do is try to get an MSL soccer team in town playing at SLU. I heard that SLU would need to add a certain number of seats before the MSL would look at having a team here. I an not a big soccer fan at all, but I do think it is suprising that St Louis being known as a soccer town does not have a professional soccer team--outdoor.

I wholeheartedly agree, there would be nothing greater than to root for Billiken Football every Saturday.I truly think it would fill a void in many a life in the St.Louis area. But alas it is not to be, if we would have not dropped football some 50 years ago who knows what it would be like today??? I now live and die Notre Dame Football every Saturday but not to near the extent I live and die Billiken B Ball. By the way correct me on this but I believe we have winning records over both Mizzou and Notre Dame in football or else very close(we did'nt play them very much)

I was wrong to be skeptical. It seems that SLU's schedule gave them a jump on the rest of the colleges. They whooped up on mighty Carroll college in Kenosha, WI.

http://www.slu.edu/publications/gc/v6-6/news_24.shtml

To be clear about college tackle football. I follow my homestate Wisconsin Badgers somewhat (and I root for Division III UMass-Dartmouth Corsairs because that is where my beloved when to school). Living in Boston there is not that much college football buzz (Boston College only gets a minor following and attention; all Notre Dame games are on the radio).

I think football would be a huge anchor for SLU financially :) and that is why I like D-III football better.

I am a much bigger soccer football fan. Go Bills! Congratulations on an impressive road win. Keep the soccer news coming (thanks to all the soccer posters).

There isnt any other school I root against more than Notre Dame. I can remember Lou Holtz talking about how much integrity the school had and how superior morally they were to the likes of Miami, etc, meanwhile there was rampant steroid and academic abuse at the school, while Holtz looked the other way. Read "Under the Tarnished Dome" if you would like a true picture of ole Notre Dame. Not to mention that stunning NBC contract. Pure, unabashed greed, in my book.

As a catholic, I am also somewhat offened that as a birthright, I am suppossed to root for Notre Dame. Give me a break. If Notre Dame was such a bastion of catholic ethics, how come they have ademently refused to play SLU since we have become competitive. Doesnt seem very Christ-like to me.

...I can still remember that Boston College kicker (Dave Gordon)nailing that long one to rip the National Championship from them. I still get a chuckle when I think about it. September 6th...Go Washington State!!!!!! If ND played Mizzou, I think I would have to pull for the mighty Tigers.....NAAAAAH!

Someone mentioned the club program back in the late 60's early 70's. They were a pretty good team playing the likes of Sienna, St.Peters. I used to go to the home games and remember we had a QB, think his name was Hartmann who was a decent QB. Also, their uniforms were decent. Helmets were white with the Fleur De Lis on them. Smiling Billiken was on the shirt. By the way, I have been asked any number of times about the Billiken decal Rich/Roy got me. A lot of people know SLU is the Billiken but had no idea what it was. I happen to think it's one of the best monikers in college sports.

no offense you act like slu sports are very competitive. they are good but no t at the level like nd is at. I mean are soccer program is the best sport at slu and got beat by nd a couple of weeks ago. Look at women sports they dont even compare to nd basketball not even close with nd or any other big east for that matter.

comparing slu football teams is like compariong ccny basketball team

I was speaking only of men's hoops. In the past 15 years, I would say that SLU would be highly competitive with ND.

And ND's soccer program is an ant compared to SLU's. If SLU had its two best freshman playing at the ND game, the outcome would be significantly different. Let us look at the stats comparison on each program.....

Notre Dame

NCAA Tournaments 5

NCAA Wins 1

Final Fours 0

Titles 0

SLU

NCAA Tournaments 41

NCAA Wins 62

Final Fours 16

Titles 10

Do me a favor, be competitive for about the next 30 years, then come back to us.

Lets see at the end of the season where ole Notre Dame is ranked.

Sorry, but this SLU Alum does not root for ND in football. In fact, the only time that I attended a game in South Bend was when Mizzou beat the defending and Joe Montana led National Chumps 3-0, and I was rooting for Mizzou in football back in those days. I have a cool pix of me and my best friend on the field with that final score on the board. My football allegiance is with my wife's Alma Mater, the UT Vols and I enjoyed the recent beatings they put on the Golden Domers too.

Great post CentFLBilliken! There are hardly any programs that can even come close to matching the success that our soccer program has had. Besides, ND only beat us in an exhibition game. It's not like it was the NCAA tournament! We even made it further in the tourney than they did last year. I don't think our basketball team is that far behind their's either. It wasn't that long ago that they were struggling just to make the NIT. Brad is doing some great things here and before too long we'll probably be playing them in the tournament. Who knows, maybe this year?

We hail Saint Louis U."