Posted by Milw. Journal Sports just after 6:00-not good

Stemler chooses Indiana

The search for a final player to round out their 2006-'07 recruiting class will continue for the Marquette Golden Eagles, who learned late this afternoon that Lance Stemler is headed for Indiana.

The 6-foot-8, 215-pound Stemler visited MU last week before heading to Saint Louis and finally Indiana. Had he committed to MU, he would have been in the mix to replace the graduating Steve Novak at power forward.

Stemler averaged 22 points and 6.7 rebounds for Southwestern Illinois College last season, and was a junior college All-American.

Well, if this it true than there are few credible sources on this board. From what I have read it was SLU or MU. Forgive me if somebody was saying IU had the best chance, but I don't recall reading it. Either way, guess we'll have to wait for the official announcement.

this would make the most sense and is not a surprise to me. IU lost a ton to graduation and transfers. There is immediate playing time available, Sampson has a strong track record with JUCO's more than at both MU and SLU, and let's be honest, it's Indiana.

Looks like that seals the deal. Its ashame that all Kelvin Sampson had to do was say we want you and then throw him in Assembly Hall where all the banners are and Brad is bending over his back trying to get Lance to come here but it just doesnt work out. Good luck to Lance though, i cant wait to him in the red and white and hopefully get drafted in 2 years.

I am not sure what to make of this - this afternoon Rammer and Slaten said they were told that Lance would let coach know tomorrow morning so why did he not say that he would make up his mind this afternoon if he in fact supposedly did so? Do you think it is possible that MU got the story wrong? - wouldn't be the first time, in fact did they not report that Lance had selected them at the time of his visit? Also what about the two who posted with inside SLU AD info that said Lance picked SLU? I guess we will know for sure tomorrow. Here is another thought - how does Sampson close the gap so quickly when he gets in so late?

On the radio today, they said he was flip-flopping back and forth between the schools. And then he said he wanted to sleep on it tonight.

I got the sneaking suspicion that the Milwaukee paper jumped the gun with bad info.

Been surfing the web - google, Indiana U, SLU, SWIC, newspapers - etc., and no one else is reporting that Stemler has made a decision. Seems like more outlets would have picked it up by now if a decision had been reached.

I still think Stemler will be wearing Billiken Blue at the Savvis this winter.

Do we have resort to name calling. If so we are no better than they are. If we can't win on the merits that SLU has to offer than so be it. I for one do not need to rap Sampson in order for SLU to look favorable.

I am for the kid doing what he wants to do. D1 basketball is hard enough that you can't afford to look back and say I wished I listened to my heart instead of others.

Sampson personally cheated 100% his fault. He then split.

If he goes to Indiana ... I can understand that choice, but Sampson is a cheater. I hope the NCAA comes down on him.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Of the three teams, Indiana is the team that needs him the most, and the team where he will make the least difference. Indiana will NOT make the big dance.

Marquette will fall some from this year, but not precipitously. Lance would be walking into a spirited competition with an incoming freshman sharpshooter, and possibly a developing SF. MU should make the big dance.

Sant Louis is rising, and Lance could walk in as the SF that shoots them into the big dance.

Lance would start at Indiana, play big minutes at Saint Louis, and should garner substantial minutes at MU. I think Lance would be able to accentuate his strengths and minimize his flaws at Saint Louis, while he would most likely get pounded on defense at Indiana. The B10 is unforgiving on forwards learning to play defense at that level.

I don't see Lance at Indiana, but we will see tomorrow. Good luck to Brad and co!

-I agree with your position that the ncaa should do something to sampson, and this has nothing to do with stemler

-For me it is crap that sampson, while operating under ncaa rules(guidelines at best for some), violates those rules, leaves the institution where the violations took place, he suffers no consequences of his prior actions, his new intitution (also operating under ncaa rules) has no impact, but the instituition where the rules were broken is left holding the bag, and the violator is no longer there to reap what he planted.

makes no sense to me how you can violate a rule, move to a place with the exact same rules, and have no consequences for violating the rules. none. it is like killing in MO and moving to ILL and all is forgiven b/c you moved.

That might have been the worst post i have ever seen. How can you say SLU will make the dance and Indiana wont? When was the last time SLU made the dance? I am a big SLU fan that wanted Stemler to come here, but come on please start thinking before you speak. I do agree with you on one aspect though, he will have to play defense there and he is going to have to play it quick or he will be riding the pine. Also, how can you say Indiana needs him the most and then come back and say he will make the least difference? That is just pathetic. I know a lot of people on this board are frustrated, but dont go start bashing the kid you were praising for months. The kid can flat out play basketball, and dont sit here and tell me that if you were a 1st team all juco player that had offers from SLU, Indiana, Marquette, Nebraska, Minnesota, George Washington, and a million other schools that you wouldnt pick the big name schools over the "average" schools if you want to call SLU that. I dont care if you were a hometown boy or not, it is INDIANA. He is playing for Kelvin Sampson and is playing in front of God knows how many die hard fans every night in historic assembly hall. This was really a no brainer.

The Bloomington paper is NOT reporting that Stemler has signed with IU, at all. Try re-reading what is available--all they say is that Stemler will announce his decision Tuesday.

Indystar.com also is not reporting a decision, and neither is the IU university site.

None of the Indiana TV stations or other sites are reporting a decision for IU.

Could it be that this paper in Milwaukee got its story wrong?? For example, could it be that they heard that Stemler is going with another school, AND THEY ARE ASSUMING THAT IT IS INDIANA, not Saint Louis?? (not an illogical assumption)

PS-- about the top ten ranking of Indiana's business school: it would be VERY DIFFICULT to complete the final 2 years of undergraduate business at Indiana while playing basketball. I had several of my close friends who did that, including 2 roommates. I may be wrong about this, but I doubt if an IU basketball player has ever graduated with a business degree.

It's very possible that Stemler informed Marquette that he would not be going there and the reporter simply jumped to the conclusion that he would sign with Indiana. Slaten, who used to assist at SWIC and probably has some decent information intimated that it was between SLU and IU. It probably wouldn't hurt to say the rosary; God does want us to win sometime, doesn't he?

but he has to realize that he has a unique sistuation here in St. Louis. Fans here if he comes and performs will forever be honored by SLU faithful. At IU he will be just another player that played there.

Look at Alford, he wanted the IU job badly, but most IU fans were indifferent to him. Lance does not have the freedom (ability) to redshirt anymore. He risks being recruited over and not playing as much his senior year. He has a tough choice, but he has to decided does he go with the mutual fund the has performed well in the passed, or the one that has a higher risk and potentially phenomenal two year of exponential growth.