Posted by Milw. Journal Sports just after 6:00-not good

Are you kidding with that post? IU will NOT make the dance? I will take that bet. SLU is on the rise? Well, since you made no tournaments this past year I guess up is the only way you can go. You can't be serious with this post.

but you must not know much about IU basketball. At IU players are worshipped even after their playing days are over. The reason why many IU fans were not thrilled with Alford as coach is because he has yet to prove to he is anything more than an average coach. Iowa had a great year this year, but for the most part they have underachieved. We loved him as a player but have our reservations as a coach. Being a good player at IU does not entitle someone to the head coaching position, nor should it.

I am sure SLU players are revered, but to say that IU fans don't really care about former players after they have played is just plain incorrect. We are very proud of our history and tradition and the players are a huge part of that. If Lance does indeed come to IU he will be remembered fondly after he leaves whether he makes a big contribution or not. That I can promise you.

I wish Lance the best no matter what he chooses. If that is SLU, good for him. With only 2 years to play he needs to make the best decision for him. I hope it is IU. To say that IU will not make the dance with the talent we have coming back shows that Sheltiedave needs to watch a little more college basketball.

Deuce and IU, a couple points...

I don't need to watch more college basketball, I need to watch less. Indiana was very close to a bubble team this year, and I'll hold everything else constant and swap Lance for Varden, to make things easy. There aren't many Hoosier fans that will claim Indiana is ahead. Then there is the small difference of Indiana's graduating class vs their incoming players.

I also stated that Lance COULD be the player that shoots Saint Louis into the big dance. Since you guys may not follow the A10, Indiana would definitely be dancing this season if they were in it. There is a difference in the quality of the two conferences.

I have not gone overboard in effusive praise of Lance, nor have I dumped on him with the possibility he will be attending IU. He is a great shooter of limited skills that would be exposed in the B10(watch Brian Randle, amongst others have career numbers when playing against Lance,) vs being a hometown hero in St. Louis.

My post presented that dichotomy in abreviated form. Many posters could figure that out. Deuce, before you start in with the dumbest post of all time line, make sure you reserve it for when I do strike with a bad post.

Indy Star this morning has a report this morning based on the Milwaukee article, however they were not able to confirm the story with Stemler.

They did talk to Stemler's coach at SWIC and he didn't know anything about the committment to Indiana. Seems to me, based on what I've read about Stemler, that he would have at least told his coach of his decision. Harrington was quoted as saying that Stemler had told him yesterday that he would not announce a decision till today.

Hope lives on.......

My guess is the writer called Sampson and asked if it was true. Since their is no LOI in hand he can't make any public comments or a public confirmation but off the record he told the author to go ahead with the article. If Sampson hadn't heard anything he would have told the author so and nothing would have been published.

We lost this one.

Lance Stemler, a 6-8 junior college All-American from Southwestern Illinois College, has committed to Indiana University, according to a report in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

Stemler, who averaged 22 points and 6.7 rebounds for a junior college team that went 34-4 and finished sixth in the national tournament, reportedly chose Indiana over Marquette, Nebraska and St. Louis.

According to the Journal-Sentinel, he was Marquette's No. 1 recruiting target in the spring signing period. He made a recruiting visit to Indiana last weekend.

He would be the second recruit to sign with coach Kelvin Sampson and the second to fill IU's need in the front court. Earlier, Mike White, a 6-7 power forward from Lee College in Baytown, Texas, signed with the Hoosiers.

Stemler's commitment would give IU 12 players on scholarship, and teams are allowed to have 13. The 12, however, includes Cem Dinc, who announced over the weekend that he was making himself eligible for the NBA draft.

Attempts to reach Stemler and his parents were unsuccessful.

Southwestern Illinois College coach Jay Harrington said late Monday he hadn't talked with Stemler that evening but the last he heard was that the big man was going to make a decision by today.

"I knew he was going to sit down with his parents (Monday night) and make a decision, but I've been teaching a class and haven't talked with him this evening,'' Harrington said. "I've not heard of a final decision, but that doesn't mean one hasn't been made.''

Stemler attended Bradley University as a freshman, and then transferred to Southwestern Illinois College as a sophomore. He played high school basketball in Columbia, Ill.

You are right, IU was a bubble team. They also did not make the tourny the previous 2 years. The problem has not been the talent level. Losing Vaden does sting, but at the end of the year he was not playing that well. He is a talented guy who I wish would have stayed. The problem we have had is piss-poor coaching. Davis is terrible. He flat-out is a mediocre at best coach. People can say what they want about Sampson but the guy can coach. With the returning talent IU has they will be very competitive in the Big 10 and they will win 20+ games and make the NCAA. Like I said I will take that bet.

Still have heard nothing official. I wish the Milwaukee paper would have cited their source. Only LS knows for sure, and we ain't heard from him yet. Big decision for him.....IU would be hard to turn down.