Stemler on Campus today

SLU_Nick

It was interesting to hear Soderberg answer a question about the awkward ness of a recruit being on campus yesterday when Ian had his press conference. Soderberg said that it could have been a positive because it gave Ian a chance to sit down with the recruit (stemler?) and explain to him that its a good thing for SLU and the recruit.

One reason any big time recruit might opt not to choose SLU the question of will I get enough exposure. Ian had a good year not exceptional, yet he is able to declare eligibility for the draft and there are no chuckles afterward.

Getting Stemler would be great, it might mean however that next year he is making himself eligible for the draft. Yesterday he saw it happen for a SLU underclassman, who was not Larry Hughes. Lance leaves today knowing he can get playing time, exposure, a chance to dance, and a good feel for a caoching staff. Hope it works, and I hope Ian is truthful about testing the waters, and that truthfulness was conveyed to LS.

Lances scrimmage was a huge success. He played exceptionally well and was told from the coaches that if he comes to SLU that he will start next year, but then again if he goes to Indiana he has a chance to step right in and become a starter. They lost 3 starters(2 to graduation and 1 transferred) and could possibly lose another who is thinking about transferring. I really hope he comes here but when you are a mid of the pack Atlantic 10 team trying to compete for one of the top JUCO players in the nation,(I know he is local) with a Big 10 school like Indiana, your chances are never good. Voyoukas declaring for the draft didnt help their chances either.

I went over to the scrimmage,Coach Sodie wanted me to see how they changed Tommie's shot.They did a great job on Tommie's shot,he's shooting very well.Lance played ok he didnt shoot enough to me,but he got a lot of rebounds,Polk played well he looked like the old Polk in his Vashon days..

Was walking with a couple of friends behind Lance and Grunk. I said really loudly "Man, I bet we bet to the Final Four this year". Then Lance and Grunk turned around and laughed. Then I said, "We really need you man".

If he comes to SLU. I will accept credit. hahaha

Nick

I walked around campus today to see if I could see anything of note concerning the Stemler visit. I walked past Gries and saw the majority of the "Welcome Lance" message in the windows. I said majority of the message because when I walked by around 3:30 and then around 3:45 or so, a few of the letters were missing. I believe it said "We_ _ome Lance!" Either the people in the two rooms with missing letters could use a lesson in Billiken pride, or the letters just fell.

I didn't try to get into West Pine since it was posted here that the scrimmage wasn't open to the public, but I tried to peek through the windows in the front just to see if the team was scrimmaging, but the glare from the sun kept me from seeing through. I did see Husak walking into West Pine around 3:45, so I would guess that the team was scrimmaging around that time.

We all get caught up in the recruiting buzz but this may be the best off season news possible! If Tommie can refine his shot and hit it with confidence our team will be much more successful because his inconsistant shooting is the only thing slowing his progression to being a great all around player. I am sure he will be stronger and that will help as well. I am already excited for next year!!!!!!!

I was at the scrimmage this afternoon and Stemler looked pretty good. A bit thinner than I had previous thought, but I guess that's fine...he's done pretty well without that "thickness". I hope we did a good enough job at the scrimmage to help! I had to leave the scrimmage early, so I only got to see him make 1 or 2 shots (the rest of the Crew stuck around for a bit).

We put up that "WELCOME LANCE" sign in Gries on Tuesday night, so it was up all yesterday (for when he got here) and until about noon today (all but 1 letter was still up at noon). We also had a few signs up in the gym during the scrimmage saying things like "WE WANT TO DANCE WITH...YOU" (coz we couldn't personalize it), "WE LOVE SLU, YOU WILL TOO", "JOIN OUR SLU FAMILY", etc.

Now the waiting game begins!!!

I attended the scrimmage; I'm not the general public, I'm a Billiken booster and I walked right in. It was very lonely upstairs except for the Blue Crew who was having fun. Lance was clearly nervous, missing shot after shot, but not by much. He showed some rebounding ability in traffic, and finished inside several times with a soft hook. He got his open looks, but generally did not cash in. He DID hit a 3 in someone's face - either TL's or AD's. Quick release. He's 99% muscle, but looks like a 3; very slender build. If you compare his shot to Deiner's, it's trajectory is a lot lower, but the release is quicker. Based on the one scrimmage, he is not the answer, but might be part of it. That being said, I'd have to go with his actual shooting % in competition. Could be he really wants to be a Billiken and was feeling some pressure today. TL looked great, constantly breaking away for impressive slams, and having his way with the ball. However, his open looks from 15+ feet did not go in. His shot looked nice and soft with nice arc, but none of the long ones went in. Vashun looked pretty good...maybe he'll be better next year. ;-) AD was AD. Bryce looked good on the boards and showed good athleticism, but if he brings the ball down, he's easy to trap. Still, you see the upside there. JJ looked absolutely great. When the coaches are absent and he's just playing ball, he's a great rebounder in traffic and hits a high % of his open looks. KL was KL. Polk clunked his first 10 jump shots, but could beat guys to the basket, and most of those rolled in. He and Tommy feed off each other and really look for each other. He finally hit a quick 15 footer and then drained a quick long 3 the next time down. If he can hit that quick 3, he can play for anybody because he controls the tempo with the ball in his hands. Ian was trying to dominate, but Bryce and Obi were having none of it and gave him some trouble. Obi has the AB body, but not the AB attitude yet. No brace on the knee, and looked mobile, but lackadaisical on both offense and defense. He could definitely be the answer at the 4, but then many of us thought JJ could too. LM was LM. Didn't see Danny there. Noticed that IV and KL have been working the pick and roll - that could be big next year - they looked very practiced at it. Ian hit Stemler with a no look bounce pass with his back to him while he was in the lane - beautiful! I think it would be nice to get Lance, but if we don't, we're going to be a lot better next year just from the extra year of maturity all around. I've seen Dustin, and he's a natural shooter. While it might take him a half season to adjust, he might be a big enough part of the answer even if we don't get Lance.

JJ isn't the answer at power forward and neither is Stemler. Either Obi or Knollmeyer are going to have to improve dramatically for us to have a solid power forward. JJ had one good game last year(against Gonzaga)and Lance is not true 4. He is a 3 in a 4 mans body. The kid is a scoring machine, but the real question is going to be is if he does come here how many defensive lapses is Soderberg going to be able to put up with? He sure does like to take defensive possesions off.

Why is Justin Johnson not the answer? He is absolutely the answer in my opinion. Who on the roster that we currently have would be a better answer ideally than JJ? He is a big body and very athletic who has shown the ability to stretch the defense and knock down jump shots when left open. The only knock on him is his lack of focus at times and his inconsistency. JJ most certainly is the answer. If we can get him playing consistently like he did today at the scrimmage (and he did play well, by far the best player on the court today!!!) we are no doubt a tourney team and probably top 2 or 3 in the A10 next year. JJ was a beast today, and add that to TL, KL, IV, and whoever gets the last spot and you have a very nice looking lineup.

I was at the scrimmage today. I've seen Lance play once this year so I was more focused on how he seems to fit in with the rest of the team. He did not have a great shooting game but he is smooth and fluid with a great feel for the game and no major weaknesses. He reminds me of a bigger version of Scott Highmark. We can argue over whether he is a 3, a 4 or whatever, but he would be a great addition who could play several different positions depending on the opposition. The buzz in the stands today is that we have a 50/50 chance of getting him with Marquette the main competition.

One pleasant surprise today was Obi. I had not seen him play since early in the season and he looks much better. There is no noticable limp and he is moving much better. He appears to have dropped a fair amount of weight also. He still moves a little slow but it appears that he will be ready to play, and potentially contribute by November.

OBI has an AB body? Anthony Bonner? This has to be the greatest transformation in medical history, or in the years since I've last seen him, AB has become a doughboy! AB while at SLU was cut, and strong and totally awesome.

Please confirm your meaning, for if it is true, we are in for a great four years with OI and AK.

mhg

JJ could be the anwser. I have said this all along. He just needs support and confidence. That means PT! He had more than 1 good game last year. He's a senior. Have a year JJ!

I've seen LS play as well. We need him. Don't get me wrong, we will have a good team next year if he doesn't sign. However, he is a sweet piece to the puzzle. If his shots didn't fall at the scrimmage, big deal. One workout, sure he was nervous.