SLU 73, Grambling 35 (final)

jjray

jjray,

Thanks, I got my score from CBS Sportsline and it claimed there were still 3 minutes left, so much for thinking that is a reliable source. If AD was going to be out or limited, tonight was a game that we could afford to be without him. We do have some competitive opponents coming up so one can only hope that he will be at or close to full strength soon.

So who got the 3 dunks for us? You are correct, as we are getting much bigger now than many of Spoon's teams and should be able to see more dunks. I still really liked the one that Chris threw down on Arizona. That was a highlight film slam.

Reggie had two, Izik had one and Chris had 1.5. Reggie's two were on turnovers. Izik's was on a monsterous block by Frericks against the glass, the ball careened into the backcourt, Fisher fired down to Sloan, but a Grambling defender ran up behind him so Sloan does a no look behind the back pass to Izik and jam time!!! Very nice. Chris had a couple of steal/turnovers that led to jams.

There were at least 10 times where Grambling had not taken a shot with under 5 or 6 seconds left. Really intense defense, although the opponent was not to be confused with Georgia Tech.

Very nice night for Izik. Varner had three threes, I think.

Fun game to watch tonight.

not much of a game. one time in the second half, billiken law turned around to me and asked, "do you think grambling is even playing an offense?" they were clueless.

to credit the billikens though, i didnt see any defensive lapses tonite. best i have seen izik move his feet for an entire game ever. josh locked down the kid that was their leading scorer. he was toast. same with chris on their inside guy. he got most of his points near the end of the game i believe.

the highlight play of the night was a spectacular block by frericks, reggie jumped into a scrum to pull the loose ball out, threw it out ahead to chris sloan, who had a breakaway. at the last second, chris flipped back a no look backhanded shuffle pass to a trailing izik for a very nice slam. it has all aspects of brad ball. a very nice defensive play for frericks to block, a hustling recovery by reggie with a heads up pass out to a streaking sloan, who unselfishly gave it up to a hustling trailing izik for the exclamation point.

drejaj is obviously hurt. he played very little and what he did, he wasnt himself.

clarke disappeared at halftime. anyone know the story there?

mark whitehead, the one ref i believe called every foul in the second half. i dont know what happened to him, but he looks like he has gained 25 pounds from last year. the added weight hasnt helped his eyesight.

not a good team to judge much. the most i got out of it was a superb defensive effort imo. other than that, not much to gain from it. i am glad these nonesense games are over. i still do not see the sense in them. why the need to play 4 300+ rpi teams is beyond me. i dont care what everyone else does. heck i would think there are some 150-200 teams that would be happy to play us.

i thought that was a great santa claus at the game tonite. but he needs a new suit.

Was impressed by the defensive effort. Everyone played tough on defense even Izik.

Drejaj is obviously pretty hurt. Clarke had the flu.

Hope this is a confidence boost for Izik and not just taking advantage of a weak opponent. Izik's contributions on offense can make or break our season. It seems he is looking for his jumper more and that may be opening up drives for him.

Reggie had a fantastic all around game. He is such a ballhawk, he had 8 rebounds and was on the floor several times. Was cold starting out but ended up with 14 points and also 4 assists.

Fisher had his usual solid game. All over the place on defense and besides a couple of ill advised passes was very good at pg spot.

Frericks can dominate inside but he has got to stay out of foul trouble.

Some hot shooting by Varner tonight. Sloan did not so much in the half court offense but he did hit a long jumper and played good D. JJ is looking morte and more comfortable on offense on the blocks and is applying himself on the defensive end.

Mooney the walk on is a tough kid. He almost started a fist fight and took on 3 guys fighting over the ball on the floor.

the one fight i think you are talking about nothing was called! whitehead blows the whistle, runs over and lectures and they then take it out of bounds. i always thought in that situation if you are going to blow the whistle at minimum you are calling one foul, if not a double foul, if not technicals. whitehead is obviously trying to become his idol, steve welmer.

He just called it a tieup and SLU had the arrow. He did call a foul on the next possesion when the antics continued somewhat. In that situation when guys are fighting for the ball and no one has clear posession it is normal to just call a jump and not any fouls unless someone throws a punch or pushes after the whistle.

I'm very pleased that Izik played well and led the squad with 21 points tonight. It makes my summer and preseason assessments of him look less ridiculous. Now we need him to do it game in and game out. I'm hoping that it was a case of his losing confidence as a result of his injuries and now he's physically and psychological recovered. If these Billikens are going to be what we would like them to be, then Ohanon will have to live up to his potential.

For those who are suggesting that IO broke out only because it was a non-competitive opponent, I'd like to remind them that Ohanon has played well against more formidable teams in the past. Now it's time for him to stop teasing us and to go out there with the intention of dominating every game and then living up to it (or at least coming close). This is a much better team if Izik is contributing close to his potential.

DC got hurt somehow ... near the end of the first half they had the medical staff attending to him ... I saw a lady use a stehascope and then the trainer hold up a finger and move it back as if he was trying to get DC to follow it with his eyes ... he did this numerous times. I don't know what happened though.

Izik shooting the pull up helped him draw his defender closer which helps him get to the hole.

Varner played well ...if he is used right he can get us a couple of three's a game.

They need to be able to get the ball inside more for times when the perimeter game is off. Especially to TF and I'd like to see JJ get it down low. He had a fantastic drive near the end with a huge jump step ... he missed the shot but it was a nice drive

It was nice to see us make a quick offensive run ... the score was 14-12 at one time ... and then within about 10 minutes it was 43 -12

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I hope you are right Thicks. After Reggie Bryant, I believe Izik is the one other guy on the team who can take over a game on offense or who you can throw the ball to with time windng down that can create his own shot. Driving to the hoop in traffic obviously has not worked for him. I like the more contained approach to his offensive game I have seen leading up to tonight--great at moving the ball, taking wide open 15 footer jumpers. Maybe he has finally discovered the strengths and limitations of his game (as played in the USA).

I thought Drejaj looked ok on defense. But I don't think he even attempted a shot. He faked a shot once and got called for traveling. It looked like he couldn't make up his mind whether he should shoot. One other time he faked a shot, but I don't remember him actually taking one. Anyone know what his total minutes were?

actually if he uses that stop and pop 5-10 footer effectively, holes will begin to open up that let him go all the way to the basket on the right occasions as well. it is all in good judgement.

I was just about to say that this opponent sucked, but you know what - out first three opponents of the year sucked as well and Izik did nothing against them. So, his performance tonight may be promising. When I think about it, I could care less if he scored 21 against Arizona or in a scrimmage against our cheerleaders. The fact is, that I like seeing his offense get going and at this point it's nice to just see that. Hopefully, he will continue to regain his confidence and keep this going against veryone we play.

I would have liked to see JJ, even more than we did.

I actually asked Drejaj after the game (as they were running into the locker room) how his ankle was, he said it wasn't that bad. Although he was still wearing some sort of brace on it, so he could have just been blowing it off.

We need to win this game on the road Saturday.

Steve