stemler

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great. We can't land this kid from our own backyard whose girfriend lives in town.

I heard that Brad was very cautious about wanting Stemler for some reason, and had he been more aggressive from the get-go, we may have landed him.

Of course, this is all speculation at this point.

ba-da-bump-bump-bump-another one bites the dust........

Maybe we should stop aiming so high. There have to be some 6'0" to 6'6" forwards out there........

(and if Stemmler isn't that then the rumored promise to dustin that we're done recruiting guards this year is broken)

I hope Luke hits the weights and Gimpy Ikeakor can walk fast.....

well if crean's name is now being rumored with jumping ship, that would likely affect stemler's thinking if true. let it play out. however the point is, that slu isnt sitting in any drivers seat as most thought.

it would be interesting to know the sales pitches. i could see crean telling him he is novak's replacement. that would get my attention if i was a tall 3 point shooter just like stemler.

....I know Marquette has been looking at some Juco "bigs" as well. How reliable is your source Roy? If that Amoroso kid transfers....Marquette will have two available spots not yet spoken for....possibly a shooter and a big for them? I know they want/need both...with all of those younger guys who can get to basket for kick outs. Crean is a big believer in shooters with size....Novak, Fitzgerald, among others...

As for Crean....I thought he was going to Ohio St? Illinois? UCLA? what did I leave out....

Andy Katz does this EVERY year, starts the Crean rumors....some say he is close enough to Crean to be in the know....others say he does it because he is a graduate of the rival school, U of Wisconsin. ....i.e Crean makes $1.65 million now at Marquette....Bo Ryan makes $400k base not including all his tv/radio, shoes etc...and so on ...which is a lot of money...but not Crean money....so people like to chide Katz for never mentioning Ryan's name and always mentioning Crean's name....(obviously Ryan isn't leaving WI)...And so eventually everyone has Crean going somehwere after this starts. It is yearly for them. I highly doubt it, but you never know.

the difference nowadays....is that Crean has the MONEY....extension, facilities, increased budget, sell outs....you name it ...soft media market like STL.....not a lot of incentive to leave. ...as opposed to when he at least interviewed at U of I etc...in past years.

I would be surprised if Brad couldn't land Stemler.....a lot of folks showed later interest in him.....etc....but

Obviously it wouldn't bother some on the board if Stemler didn't go to SLU....but he could help SLU.....and be another all important local recruit, and not local stiff.....more of which SLU needs.

SLU still neds a big guy and athletes as well.....if this is true maybe he Stemler is sold on being able to slide in on NCAA team etc...Big East etc..with those young returning players....

I know Marquette had interest among those other schools, ...didn't know they offered or were "that" interested.

i am not saying he didnt, but i am having a hard time picturing novak guarding big east centers. he had a hard time stopping drejaj in the past let alone the likes of roy hibbard and josh boone.

the father of the athlete is a close friend. and the athlete is definitely a close friend of stemler's. that is obviously, 4th hand from my perspective. so take it for what it is worth.

it is also true that the "game isnt over yet". this week alone stemler is likely going to talk to so many coaches and hear so much spin, who knows who gets negatively slammed. if word is that two days ago it was crean, but then today indiana is rumored to be stealing crean, what coach isnt going to spin that right back at stemler. and who knows how he takes that.

plus there is a lot of time remaining yet before signing day. i am betting on the girlfriend. which as jim carrey would say means "so you are saying we still got a chance."

Marquette guards by committee...and play 10 guys most years. Depends on the matchup....I remember 7 foot Kinsella guarding Hibbard, and 6'10 Barro getting a crack as well. Gotta mix a LOT of zone vs G-Town, they are HUGE up front. Different guys different games....different matchups.

Novak is an easy knock as is Maqruette on this board, and I have openly ripped B-Law's assertion that Amoroso would be their inside answer this year....conveniently he has avoided that one all year....when I thought Marquette was just one inside player from top 25......they proved me wrong somewhat as they were that level and didn't need one....but having one sure would have helped them against Bama early on....

As for Novak....different player this year period. If you didn't see him offense/defense/rebounding....all improved, more aggressive, leader...almost won Big East player of year..1st teamer....other awards....NBAdraft.net has had him anywhere form early 2nd round to late 2nd round draft pick. ......point is these things wouldn't happen if he was a one dimensional player, and/or a very limited player. He did a lot of different things this year for them.

Can't exactly go on a one game matchup one year....etc....as I recall being at that ugly game at Savvis last year, he was about the only player on either team who could score. .....But even then lights out in a lot of areas....quicker release, more aggressionl, put it on floor, shooting off of dribble, creating space...occasional low blocks...ten times better rebounding....and led a very very young team to NCAA and 4th in B.E....being only upper classman who plays a lot....I have always liked his game and potential(so did KU, Florida Il, etc...out of high school)....and he really put it together this season in diferent areas.

>Interesting - I heard that Crean is the likely hire for

>Indiana. I wonder if Stemler has heard that?

Unless Crean changed his name to Randy Whittman that isn't the case. IU is down to 2 people for the job and neither of them goes by the name Tom Crean.

FYI, Novak did not guard the opposing 5, that duty went to Chris Grimm, Jamil Lott, Mike Kinsella and Osmanne Barro.

>Novak is an easy knock as is Maqruette on this board, and I

>have openly ripped B-Law's assertion that Amoroso would be

>their inside answer this year....conveniently he has avoided

>that one all year....when I thought Marquette was just one

>inside player from top 25......they proved me wrong somewhat

>as they were that level and didn't need one....but having

>one sure would have helped them against Bama early on....

I said "could" not would. After his 30/13 performance in the GAS title game, then averaging 10 and 8 the next few games, it looked like he'd turned the corner. However, after a strong performance in the first Pitt game he disappeared, then he missed some games with medical problems and that was it. He held the key and had the potential, he just didn't take control.

Frank C. just also said that Crean is a candidate at IN. He also said that SLU told Stemler that they have 7 chances to look at him and they were going to use all of them before deciding to offer. Frank said that hurt Stemler's feelings but that SLU did ultimately offer. He implied that had SLU offered earlier they would have him but now it is 50/50.

should realize that strategy does not seem to work. They blew it with Shaw and now may have blown it with Stemmler.

for SLU72, I could care less if he goes to MU. Anybody but SLU and i'll be pissed but I could care less if its Purdue, MU, SEMO etc.

For what it's worth, Frank C had Crean in the Mizzou mix repeatedly in past....couldn't have been more off....I wouldn't get your college hoops coaching insider info from Frank C. A radio guy can just say hey what about such and such and all of a sudden they are a candidate??? Even worse lazy media people will hear something like this from someone else, somewhere else, and somehow that means there is amutual interest and talks happeening or soon to be happening...documented sources etc....lol.

I am a "candidate" at Mizzou and IU at this point.....all you have to do is say something on radio, tv or print media....no facts or sources....why not.

Perhaps I will bring Roy, skip etc...in as assistants. And I'll hold an open tryout for walk ons and will take on Knight's kids in season 2 of Knight school....for the cash.

I am however removing myself from consideration from the Nerinx Hall girls soccer job....I hear they are looking.

Frank C is wrong. He is probably getting his info from Andy Katz who has had Crean as a "candidate" at every Big Ten job that has come open (and said Crean was taking the Illinois job). In fact, Katz reported in 2004 that Crean was actually in Columbus interviewing for the Ohio State job, yet at the very same time Crean was throwing out the first pitch at a Brewers game (quite talented, eh?). Yes, it could happen, but I doubt it will.

No, I didn't imply Frank was wrong. I used the example of when he has been repeatedly wrong before....and went on to babble about how it is too easy for some media people to throw out names of people as candidates for jobs....without exactly any evidence of it. Miklasz at least just campaigns for people, wishful thinking list etc....and says so up front.

Who did Frank cite as his source or sources that he is a candidate at IU. Maybe he is...but I have just seen this too many times too many places in the media...it is lazy and a joke.

Andy Katz was asked on a recnt ESPN chat....about Crean, and he said, no I have no info that he is candidate here or there...but logically he should be.....huh??? So he mentions a guy's name...insert Crean, then every lazy local market media guy picks up on it eventually and just repeats it....

How about Katz' Alfrod info???

As for Crean...he would be qualified to be a candidate at IU, among others .....if he was interested in the job.

It is presumed W is a candidate from Orlando.....presumed...and presumed there is one opther candidate not mentioned....and many think it is someone who's team is still playing in the NCAA....i.e. Mark Few, John Calipari etc.....now, I at least can say when I know something as fact....or not fact, or wishful thinking or whatever.

I do not know IU's final candidate's and favoriet choices.