stemler

Coming out of highschool SLU can take the same kids anybody can. As long as they pass the NCAA clearinghouse they are eligble to play for SLU. I can understand why SLU wouldn't have recruited him originally as it was obvious to most that he wouldn't qualify for anybody, but if we made a conscious decision not to recruit him after the year of prep school then that I don't understand. He would have been as eligible here as any of the other 330 D1 schools.

Now JUCOS are a whole other topic...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOWEVER, slu is at a tremendous disadvantage to the large public school universities on getting in the juco transfers or any transfers from another college. remember a transfer has to be able to fit into an existing slu major and be on pace to graduate with his or her class.

personally, i have no problem that slu dropped out of the dentmon race. i think it is horrible that dentmon didnt honor illinois state when they were the only school that showed dentmon any love out of high school.

if anyone would have tried to recruit liddell from us when he went away to prep school we would have been all up in arms about it. seems to me we should feel the same way about trying to steal a player like dentmon in the same situation.

Players have to earn an offer. If the player doesn't convince you the first two or three times you see him in practice or in a game, well then you just hold off until you are convinced. Yes, Stemler is a good player....but his is not a David Lee or a Tyler Hansborough (sp?).

Did Marquette come back a second or third time to be convinced an offer was in order!

>HOWEVER, slu is at a tremendous disadvantage to the large

>public school universities on getting in the juco transfers

>or any transfers from another college. remember a transfer

>has to be able to fit into an existing slu major and be on

>pace to graduate with his or her class.

This is true, which is why I specified HS recruits.

That said, with this being the case, why is Soderberg spending so much time recruiting JUCO kids. Besides Tom and Stemler, both qualifers out of HS (and thus subject to less stringent transfer rules) he's recruited signed 3 others and actively recruited a few more - only 1 of which has actually arrived on campus.

I would disagree with Roy on this....if I put myself in this situation. If I am Dentman....I didn't do my part to qualify....yes IL St. showed interest....etc...and others didn't. Contrary to what B-Law says Illinois recruited him hard after he went to prep school. The interest came later.

When Dentman goes to prep school....and now other people have interest...who better fit my interests...I would gladly listen. Sure it is self-serving etc....but University life is business, big business. No hard feelings...but with a chance to go to better academic school, in better conference with better team....etc...it isn't much of an issue. It isn't as if coaches an duniversities don't use players for their success too.