Luke Meyer...

Nate Latsch

Luke Meyer had a big game tonight against Chaminade.

Meyer scored 34 points on 15-of-26 shooting and grabbed seven rebounds in a 62-52 loss. He was extremely impressive, showing his all-around game, and Brad Soderberg and Angres Thorpe were sitting in the stands watching.

Most of his points came on mid-range jumpers with a defender, usually Chaminade's 6-foot-3 swingman Tommy Williams, up in his face. I know there has been a lot of talk about Meyer having a slow release on his shot, but if he continues to shoot like he did tonight it won't matter. He gets good elevation on his jumper and does a good job shooting over defenders.

I've seen Meyer play for four years now and I was impressed tonight.

- Nate

Thanks for the update Nate...keep up the good work! It really sounds like Luke could be a steal for us. He might be the best "pure shooter" the Bills have had in quite a while. If we can get him open looks, he can probably nail it every time, even if he does have a slow release. I'm glad Brad didn't pass him up.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

drew was allergic to the lane and going inside. luke is not bashful about driving or doing his part under the basket. i believe luke will be far better than drew. i think more of highmark since he can shoot and is strong enough to go inside if needed as well. it is my understanding that luke is playing post quite a bit this season. i have been spanked here for making that meyer to highmark comparison before, but still, i think that is closer than a drew comparison.

Yes, thanks Nate! You guys have pretty excited about Luke. I plan on watching him play sometime this season as I do all our recruits. I even going to plan a trip East and maybe make the Collinsville tournament.

I'm hoping Luke will be way better than Drew, who was just weak. I'm also he'll be better than Highmark was.

In HS he did more than just shoot the 3 and I'm positive he he played varsity 4 years (170/4 = 42.5 threes per season). Besides, I saw him play in HS - no revisionist history there. Considering Drew's HS career I thought comparing Luke to him was complementary.

Here's a blurb from his signing:

Diener is a senior at Goodrich High School in Fond du Lac, Wis. As a junior, Diener averaged 22 points per game on 60 percent shooting from the field, 50 percent from three-point distance and 84 percent from the free throw line. He was the only junior selected to Wisconsin's first-team All-State squad. Goodrich was 19-3 last year and returns five starters for head coach Dick Diener, Drew's father.

"Drew has an excellent understanding of the game, which you would expect from a coach's son," Spoonhour said. "He has the capability of getting his own shot, plus excellent range and ball skills. He certainly fits one of our needs."

It was complementary. I never understood the animosity towards Drew. In fact, he came up big for us in a few games last year(including making the steal that led to Marque's game winner against L-ville, 12 against WVA, 13 against Memphis, 10 v. SIU, 12 v. Dayton, 15 v. USF, 2 big three's down the stretch to beat St. Bona) ).

I liked Drew as a person, he was VERY knowledgable about the game and worked as hard as anyone SLU had. In HS he was a much more versitile player but his role was changed at SLU and he accepted that.

Yeah, quite the insult to compare him and Meyer.

Drew Diener HS Bio:

1998 Gatorade Wisconsin Player of the Year, two-time first-team All-State and team MVP … 1997 Street & Smith's honorable mention All-American … as a senior, led Cardinals to elite eight of state tournament before being eliminated in quarterfinals … averaged 20 ppg on 57 percent shooting from the field, 43.1 percent from three and 85 percent from the free throw line, along with 7.4 rpg and 3.8 apg … led club in assists, rebounds and steals in both junior and senior seasons … led Goodrich to four straight conference championships and a 78-14 record … holds Goodrich career records for points (1,505), threes made (170), three-point percentage (.427), free throw percentage (.820) and steals (136) … holds Goodrich season record for points (500) and single-game scoring mark (45) … member National Honor Society … Student-Athlete award winner … coach Dick Diener.

Drew was a great high school player. Unfortunately, like a lot of high school players his game became one-dimensional when he got to

D-1 ball at Slu. I think 3star, like myself, think LM will be better at the collegiate level than Diener was. I expect him to and hope he will be. I guess time will tell!

billiken law said, "I thought comparing Luke to him was complementary."

law your relatively newness to billikens.com might get you a pass, but fyi, drew has never been a favorite here. few of us defended him during his 5 year stretch. if your comments were meant as a compliment, so be it, but i can assure you that as far as compliments go, a drew diener comparison wont register here.

Roy is correct - for whatever the reason Drew never seemed to fair well on the board. Probably because for all the accolades he received in h.s. he never lived up to his billing. Hopefully LM will be more like a Highmark and actually be a consistent dependable player. Drew was hot and cold and more often cold.

>but fyi, drew has never been a favorite here. few of

>us defended him during his 5 year stretch.

All true statements Roy, but I am not humble enough to let you forget that you once told me that SLU needed more players like DD in order to be real successful .

By the end of last season Drew was viewed as a chronic underperformer by most fans. I thought he actually regressed in his senior season. He seemed like a nice young man who never really got strong enough to play big time D1 basketball. He was never nearly as tough as his cousin. I hope he is doing well. I also hope that Meyer is a better long term contributor to our Bills. Only time will tell.

from a heart and soul standpoint i still say that. i will take the guts of drew diener anytime. at least he always laid it all out on the floor. i will jump up and defend drew diener any day and will still take him over an underachiever like jason edwin who might be the most disappointing billiken in history.

the reason i say edwin is he obviously had bigtime talent that he wasted. with cranford, i just scratched my head and questioned all those hype reports we heard for 6 months.