Dustin Maguire

Why so much hype on Dustin Maguire? I have never seen him play but he had 10 points Tuesday night and is now averaging 14.6ppg on the year. That certainly is not too spectacular for a D1 recruit that a lot of people have touted as an impact player. It seems to be alot less then any of our current players averaged during their highschool days. He shoots 43% from three point range. I would think there are a number of players in highschool arounds 6'4" who can shoot near 45% from long range and score greater then 15ppg. Brad seems to be very psyched to get him. I re-iterate...why all the hype?

>Why so much hype on Dustin Maguire? I have never seen him

>play but he had 10 points Tuesday night and is now averaging

>14.6ppg on the year. That certainly is not too spectacular

>for a D1 recruit that a lot of people have touted as an

>impact player. It seems to be alot less then any of our

>current players averaged during their highschool days. He

>shoots 43% from three point range. I would think there are

>a number of players in highschool arounds 6'4" who can shoot

>near 45% from long range and score greater then 15ppg. Brad

>seems to be very psyched to get him. I re-iterate...why all

>the hype?

I think we all can agree he will most like sit the pine most if not his whole career. I would have to say he is a miss for a recruit. Not a good start for next years class!

I saw Dustin play once this year and he scored over 20. Edwardsville is a very good team with some very good players besides Dustin. He is not the whole team. Edwardsville has a very balanced attack. Don't make any judgement of his abilities based on box score results. I don't know how much he will play next year, but he can shoot the 3.

UB is not one given to over hypeing players. When he said IV would be one of the best bigs ever at SLU, a lot of us rolled our eyes. How'd that work out? It's wrong to prejudge this kid at this stage. A lot can happen and not all D1 stars or good players were top 50's. Inane post at this time.

you do know that edwardsville is undefeated and the best TEAM in the metro area? i.e. he has games where he only scores 10 points because he doesnt have to score more for the team to win.

Not only that he is playing out of position as he plays inside. He will be a wing for SLU. It sems silly to even think a kid isn't going to be productive before he even steps foot on the court at SLU. He seems to me to be a bit like Luke except bigger and a better 3.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Our two glaring needs are a strong pF and a zone busting 3 pt shooter.

In the two games I have seen Dustin, he has three attributes (in high school, granted) that mark good outside shooters -

- solid mechanics. This includes being squared to the basket, a steady jump from start of the game into the fourth quarter, side hand in proper position, and good rotation.

- a fearless confidence to shoot, whether he is 1/13 or 10/12.

- a good unconsious sense of spacing. He does not need to mark how far the defender is away from him, other than thinking "too far" and bang, the shot is gone.

I am surprised that there are whiners about Brad recruiting and inking a shooter, when we suffer through freshmen growing pains, and see our designated 3 pt marksman go 1/14 in the past couple games, including a 39 pt team offensive explosion marked by a total lack of success with outside shooting.

>He seems to me to be a bit

>like Luke except bigger and a better 3.

Shorter than Luke (6'4" v 6'5"). The big question in my mind is whether this kid can guard a D1 wing? He does not play wing in HS so those games will give no indication. I can only assume that the coaching staff has looked at the situation and decided ... yes he can defend. Otherwise, we just recruited Drew Diener. Not a bad commodity to have on your bench given how often the Bills have faced zone this year.

Look who the author of this thread is. The same guy who started the lie about a certain Billiken player. And his sidekick reappears to agree with him. The only time these losers show up is to take swipes at the program. Makes you wonder where they are coming from.

while i am on record as questioning the dustin signing (especially as early as we got the vebal) i will say he appears he will be more than drew diener just from the ability to get his shot off. my biggest question as well was the fact he rarely plays the wing or defends guards in high school, however, others that have seen him on the summer circuit swear he does fine. we shall see. that all said, i do believe he is more than drew diener.

>"The big question in my mind is whether this kid can guard a

>D1 wing? He does not play wing in HS so those games will

>give no indication."

>

>Just thought I'd point out that Luke Meyer didn't guard the

>wing in high school -- he played power forward. Most 6'5

>kids around these parts do.

And Luke Meyer has been converted to our PF. I'll withhold judgment until we see Dustin at SLU next year.

I've seen him play half a dozen times. He has a great stroke from outside and is one of those guys who will just throw it up there from anywhere at anytime. We need a kid like that. Even Brad says defense is secondary. You can't teach kids to score at this level, you can teach em how to play D.

>Look who the author of this thread is. The same guy who

>started the lie about a certain Billiken player. And his

>sidekick reappears to agree with him. The only time these

>losers show up is to take swipes at the program. Makes you

>wonder where they are coming from.

Your right it's a conspiracy "Fault".

>> Even Brad says defense is secondary.<<

Did Brad really say defense is secondary? Did you check to see if he had a temperature? That does not sound like the Brad Soderberg who has been coaching our Billikens. It's certainly not the way he coaches when his team is in a tight game or behind ... only players who can defend get PT in those situations under Brad.

>>You can't teach kids to score at this level, you can teach em how to play D.<<

I'll accept your statement if it reads as follows: "you can teach em how to play D if they have the physical tools to defend their assigned position." A kid without size and strength can't defend the post no matter how much coaching. You can't teach a kid to defend the wing in a man defense who lacks reasonably quick feet and hands.

Nope that's what he said on his radio show. You can't teach college level kids to score. You can teach them to play defense. Of course you have to have the physical tools and mental makeup to be a good defender but not everyone can be that way. Almost anybody though if they have they can play college ball can defend adequately if they want to.