Interesting Day In A10 ...

Taj79

.... Charlotte may be struggling but that is a character builder to go inot the Dayton Decible Dungeon and come out with a win. I hear there is some massive grumbling going on in the Gem City ... hear the Indians are getting restless for Brian Gregory's scalp. That makes Dayton 0 and 2 as they lost the A10 opener on the road at Fordham.

Who then went on the road and lost today at URI. Go figure on that one. Fordham was supposed to be the up and comers in the A10 just last year and I know they just got some new players on the roster ... that's why waxing YouDee wasn't that much of a surprise but losing at URI puts them back to a huge question mark in my book.

X waxed the Bonnies at Cintas today. No surprise there. I watched the UMass/Duquesne game here today. Duquesne was in it to the final buzzer ... of the first half! Umass came out with nothing special but upped the lead to the mid twenties halfway into the second half. Duquesne has one kid, guard #22, and that is it. Whoever picked these guys to finish anywhere above 13th or 14th was nuts. Rashaun Freeman for Umass will be load when we get them. Seeing as he seems to be a four ... I would be worried at this point.

I watched Temple take on "Nova the other night. Chaney's program has slipped tremendously. Mardie Collins used to be a three, now he's the point. Interesting. What will hurt us there will the be usual ... trying to figure out the matchup zone and making sure the goons don't kill Ian while he's trying.

Nice to see Marquette slip back to reality and get bounced by Cincy. I also see where a freshman is running the old point for UC .... the Jihad Muhammed myth must be over.

X waxed St. Joes's the other night as well. I think this year is a race between X, GeeDub and Charlotte. Right now, I'd give the edge to X. Its nice to be home in the old Midwestern Cities again!

GW goes into OT at Marshall but wins 79-73. I wish this wouldn't have happened. I would have liked for GW to think they are invincible before playing us. Or does this give our guys confidence, thinking hey Marshall took them to the wire? Marshall is pretty bad so far this year too.

I am a SLU graduate living in WV. My kids currently go to Marshall but we are planning to move back to the St. Louis area this Summer. Can't wait to get back to get season tickets for the Billikens.

Anyway, Marshall is terrible. I cannot believe they almost beat GW. If GW had a tough time beating Marshall, even at home, the Billikens can take them. If they can keep their cool and play good defense then GW can be taken even on their home court.

SLU should hope GW is looking beyond SLU to St. Joes... This overtime may snap some sense into GW. Luckily they doesn't know much about SLU, and I don't have faith in Hobbs to really research well. If I were him, I would obviously Zone, which GW has done in the past with success. Usually they do a Box and one. I don't think I have ever seen them in a 2-3, I have seen 3-2. However, we will see.

I hate Hobbs as a coach...It is mind boggling to me that he cannot get his players up for games, his scheduling is a joke, the GW Media is being way too easy on him for it. They ask him about it, but his excuses are pathetic.

>SLU should hope GW is looking beyond SLU to St. Joes...

>This overtime may snap some sense into GW. Luckily they

>doesn't know much about SLU, and I don't have faith in Hobbs

>to really research well. If I were him, I would obviously

>Zone, which GW has done in the past with success. Usually

>they do a Box and one. I don't think I have ever seen them

>in a 2-3, I have seen 3-2. However, we will see.

>

>I hate Hobbs as a coach...It is mind boggling to me that he

>cannot get his players up for games, his scheduling is a

>joke, the GW Media is being way too easy on him for it.

>They ask him about it, but his excuses are pathetic.

Hobbs as a coach is doing a helluva job, taking a team no one knew existed and getting them in the top 25 for the second season in a row. Knocked on Maryland and a team that made it to the Final Four in Michigan State last year.

With that team that beat the final four team handedly, he only got into the Tournament through the A-10 Tourney. He wasn't getting an at large bid.

He got crushed by a youthful Xavier team last year on the road, and lost to them at home as well. (Edited by Steve, I mixed up which loss to Xavier was the 19 point loss).

If you can tell me who is replacing Pops next year on GW, I would like to know. He redshirted a to-be senior this year because he lacks big men.

Last Years SOS: 156

This years: 272 (The temple game HELPED his Non Conf SOS of 301).

Who has GW beat this year? Maryland. In a rivalry game. In the only other game of any significance in Non-Conference #13 GW (at the time) got Crushed at NC-St.

He can recruit. Yes, but he loses too many games he shouldn't. Have you seen GW play a game other than Maryland this year, Maryland last year, or Michigan St. last year? Yeah, GW can get up for a game. But will they get up for a team like Iowa or West Virginia. Highly doubt it. He recruits the type of player that values the Sportscenter Highlight reel more than good game plan execution.

Has he improved the program, yes, very much so. However, he has taken a team that legitimately is a top 25 Team in Talent, and has put them on iffy territory for THE BUBBLE. He loses an extraordinary amount of talent after this year, and if GW ain't dancing with these Seniors. He is going to experience a mighty large fall (and he won't be considered for his dreamed UConn Job)

As far as who GW has next year to replace Pop's etc, we supposedly have signed a 6'10' kid who originally signed with Cincinnati and was there one year (redshirted) before tranferring to a JC college in Texas this year. Chayenne Moore, a 6'6" scorer from Baltimore who started as a freshman last year at Clemson has transferred to GW and is eligible next year. Also reports have been about 6'9" Omari Israel transfer from Notre Dame (he has already left Notre Dame) going to GW though not offical yet. Three other talented front court reserves (two freshman and one junior) from this year's team will be back next year. All backcourt players return next year unless Pinncok decides to turn pro, but I think he could use another year to smooth out his game, though he is freaky atheletic and has an NBA style game. Sophomore Maurice Rice comes off the bench at guard this year, but would start on most other A10 teams. He was the all-time leading scorer in Philadelphia high school basketball history.

.. you go to GeeDub. You go to Billiken games. You go to CUSA and A10 tournaments. You are there in person. And yet you have the cahones to question the master who probably saw GeeDub .... once ... a few months ago .... on a cable rerun .... airing on tape delay ... at halftime of the Vashon/Ritenour game ....

Hobbs CAN coach ... the source says so ....

that think the Billikens "turned the corner" in the Chicago St. and St. Bonnaventure games. If anything we have regressed in those games.

The worst thing about V-Time is I now see him posting over on the A-10 forum and giving all Billiken fans a bad name. Most of them probably believe that V-Time is representative of the Billiken community...

Karl can recruit athletes like no other, and I will not claim to be an expert on what he is recruiting. I only know what shows up on the roster (I don't read GWHoops.com with regularity, so my knowledge of SLU definitely surpasses my GW knowledge).

Hobbs can recruit, but the execution of game time strategy drives me nuts. Admittedly, the Maryland game was excellent this year, and I give him uber props for that, but I have failed to see it elsewhere.

Probably I am being overly negative. With GW and Hobbs, I am generally a pessimist. However, with this years team I had higher expectations, and I am becoming dissappointed. Also, my roommate is a HUGE GW optimist who knows his ###### about sports, so in our arguments I am always the pessimist. I think this is bleeding over to here.

steve, don't feel bad about the Marshall game ..... a close road win by GWU over "anybody" is a good win!

Ole Miss got upset at Illinois-Chicago on the road and five days later cleaned SLU's clock,partly because the were pissed and worked hard in practices leading up to the Billiken game.

Again, any road win is a good win!

The St. Bonaventure game was a statement. We won a hard fought victory with our top 4 guards, Liddell, Lisch, Drejaj, Polk, Drejaj (injury) giving us nothing next to nothing. If anybody would've said that we could do that in the preseason we would've had them committed. That was a corner turning game, and at the very least showed Danny Brown that he can still be the player that he and everyone else expected him to be.

Kshoe,

Why do you care if Vtime is posting on the other A10 forums. Do you really care what some St. Joes fan who lives 1000 miles away thinks about you? And if so why? I would spend less time worrying about "our" precious image and more time on teaching KL on how to hit a jumper.

KL can already hit a jumper much better than I or you ever will be able to, I think my time is better spent doing anything other than that.

As far as image goes, an extreme example of why I would care...V-time pisses off all the A-10 forum members to such extent that they tell other fans in the A-10 what a bunch of cocky a-holes all Billiken fans are, all those fans go the conference tourney and instead of playing in front of a neutral crowd we are playing in front of a crowd that hates the Billikens.

Realisitcally, I think it is embarassing that a billiken "fan" would talk smack after the St. Bonnies game. It certainly doesn't reflect how the majority of us felt after that game.

>KL can already hit a jumper much better than I or you ever

>will be able to, I think my time is better spent doing

>anything other than that.

>

>As far as image goes, an extreme example of why I would

>care...V-time pisses off all the A-10 forum members to such

>extent that they tell other fans in the A-10 what a bunch of

>cocky a-holes all Billiken fans are, all those fans go the

>conference tourney and instead of playing in front of a

>neutral crowd we are playing in front of a crowd that hates

>the Billikens.

>

>Realisitcally, I think it is embarassing that a billiken

>"fan" would talk smack after the St. Bonnies game. It

>certainly doesn't reflect how the majority of us felt after

>that game.

So basically what I say on the A10 forum is going to make the fans boo us and in turn make SLU lose, and cost us a NCAA berth. So you're saying I'm responsible for SLU's success or failure, and are putting the weight of the world on my shoulders. Ridiculous. I think UB would be insulted. As far as Kevin Lisch shooting better than everybody, speak for yourself.

>KL can already hit a jumper much better than I or you ever

>will be able to, I think my time is better spent doing

>anything other than that.

>

>As far as image goes, an extreme example of why I would

>care...V-time pisses off all the A-10 forum members to such

>extent that they tell other fans in the A-10 what a bunch of

>cocky a-holes all Billiken fans are, all those fans go the

>conference tourney and instead of playing in front of a

>neutral crowd we are playing in front of a crowd that hates

>the Billikens.

>

>Realisitcally, I think it is embarassing that a billiken

>"fan" would talk smack after the St. Bonnies game. It

>certainly doesn't reflect how the majority of us felt after

>that game.

kshoe, the only "image" Mizzouphan cares about is that of his beloved Tigers. Remember how testy he got when you made that post about Mizzou joining the Sun Belt? On the other hand, trashing the rep of a SLU player or ripping SLU is ok with Mizzouphan.

Hey guys. GW alum here, there has been some chatter on our board so I thought I'd stop by hey say hello.

I am not so sure about Hobbs' X's and O's sometimes, but to say he's not a good coach because he lost to Xavier twice last year is sort of a strange argument. I mean, if we won all the games we were supposed to, we'd be a great team - but what team does? Beating ranked teams and winning the conference tourney is fine with me. And if we had hit our foul shots last season against Ga Tech in the NCAAs, we might have won that one, or at least gotten closer - we were 4-16 from the line, which is unlike us. It was painful to watch. And while this year's schedule is terrible, we went through about a million scenarios on our board, the most popular of which are he made it easy in case Pops and Mike Hall left for the NBA, or maybe decent teams just wouldn't schedule us. I find the latter hard to believe, but that's what the Hobbs zealots say on our board.

We didn't blow out Marshall like we would have hoped and some of the other games (Kennesaw State, Augusta State exhib, etc) were closer for most of the gamse than we would like, but we still won, so that's ok.

But in any case, I hope to see some SLU fans at the game, and I'm glad we have you guys in the conference. Too bad Larry Hughes isn't playing for the Wizards, maybe he would have stopped by.

wont be back to cleveland to likely end of february. who knows, maybe he makes a trip back to dc to visit old buds jamison and arenas and then stops by to see the billikens!

Admitedly my Xavier argument is weak, but with Hobbs' schedules, the losses to teams like Xavier come under a magnifying glass. Outside of the BB&T, he lost to Wake and WVU (admitedly both on the road) last year and NC State this year. He has no other top 50 RPI wins to speak of in this 2 year run.

My frustration is because I see GW perform the way they do against Maryland, then trying to see the same performance against a team like Marshall (Or many other teams, especially early in games), it isn't there. And sometimes, this does result in a loss to a team they shouldn't to.

This GW team can be really really great. They have the talent to do it. But they must show up to the games whether they consider them insignificant or not.

"My frustration is because I see GW perform the way they do against Maryland, then trying to see the same performance against a team like Marshall (Or many other teams, especially early in games), it isn't there. And sometimes, this does result in a loss to a team they shouldn't to."

Man, that sounds strangely familiar...