Please could we all

slufanskip

There was a guy to our right, and roughly 5 rows down who got in trouble for standing up with about 1-2 minutes left. He turned to the two ladies behind him and said "Youre at a basketball game, stand up and cheer".....Then Lisch hit the 3......everyone stands up, he turns to the ladies and said "Come on, I know you can do it" and the ushers were called on the guy.

I've never had any problem with standing ... and I am up and yelling alot. Once I had an usher tell me I couldn't yell ... you suck to a ref, but I just told him to basically bother someone else and still yell what I want. I don't get profane ... and in todays world You suck is ok ... imo.

If an usher told me to sit down ... I would just laugh and remain standing. There would be big problems if I was made to sit down.

The ushers are not our problem though. ... the entire place should have been up making noise the last 5 minutes at the least. I believe the crowd can make a difference.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

How about the last couple of minutes of a close game we have a guy run out on the court with a sign that says: "Cut social security for those 65 and older!" ;-)

Now THAT would get these people to stand up and start screaming.

I think the new arena is going to change the composition of the people sitting closer to the court. I know it will for sure in some cases.

It has always been the biggest interest of mine, to see SLU have about 3000 or more students attend most games. This is Levick's deal. She worked at Stanford and SCU...SCU is pretty small...but Stanford is closer to SLU's size, so she has some experience and success in this area. As SLU continues to draw more and more undergrads from out of state...what else are these kids going to do? If you can play an attractive style, win some games, and make games an event....need to hure a consultant to make games more of an event...from intros, to promotions, to music, etc....Hopefully these college kids wil then buy season tickets in their 20's and 30's, and make the average age of a SLU game attendee drop dramatically.

I beleive sitting on your hands is a STL thing...only playoff Rams games have I seen it different. I won't soon forget the altercation at a Cards Red Sox WS game in STL...between Cards fans, because a few people actually got up and stood during a rally and exciting part of the game. and the others complained about it. As hard as I try I just don't understand it.

As for SLU, this is clearly one of the top things I will be watching under Levick. Sure people can say it will be better in a new smaller on campus arena....but there is ZERO reason 3000 plus college kids can't ride a shuttle to Savvis and back in the interim.

At this point, it starts with winning games, and part of that is a university commitment to hoops which hasn't been present before. Then hopefully Levick can promote the heck out of it to future prospective students. When kids go to some of the other private schools of similar size etc...most have getting season tickets on their agenda, and those who don't quickly figure out that it is the thing to do.

You have to remember though that SLU is one of the most apathetic campuses I've ever seen. I am a student and you wouldn't believe the first-hand publicity I have done leading up to this season--both for Blue Crew and in general. Students talk the talk but when it comes til to walk the walk, they don't often come through. The thing about SLU students, that if the majority of us won't walk to the other side of campus to go to Subway in Dematt, it's not very likely that they'll want to go through the trouble of standing in line for a bus, riding to Savvis, then standing in line again when the game is over to get back to campus.

I'm not meaning to knock my fellow students, but until there are 2 things at SLU, I cannot see a consistently large number of students coming to games, and those 2 things are: 1) school spirit & 2) the arena.

I know there is a metro stop at Savis, my question is how far and how safe is it to walk to a SLU metro stop from the student union? All that was built after I left there.

I'm not a big fan of standing in line either, what would a R/T cost a SLU student to the game on the metro?

The reason I like this board was some of my best memories at SLU were the games.

>I know there is a metro stop at Savis, my question is how

>far and how safe is it to walk to a SLU metro stop from the

>student union? All that was built after I left there.

>

>I'm not a big fan of standing in line either, what would a

>R/T cost a SLU student to the game on the metro?

>

>The reason I like this board was some of my best memories at

>SLU were the games.

$3.50 for a RT ticket, you can walk there (a bit sketchy) there is also the Billiken Loop shuttle that will take students to the station. Plus, there are the shuttle busses that will take students to the game, which is how I got to games as a student. There's also the Humphrey's shuttle.

When I saw the St. Joe's/Kansas game in NYC I notice that there were more St. Joe's students at a road game 2+ hours away then there will be SLU students all season.

I wonder how it is possible that you report something that I have never ever seen at a Bills game and I go to almost every game.

I sit about 5 rows behind and slightly to the left of the opposing bench. I stand all the time and cheer and no one has ever said a word to me. I am constantly on the opposing coach-- the coach for Kennesaw State was actually yelling back at me while the game was going on--which of course delighted me no end. I have an usher only a few feet from me and no one has ever suggested that I cannot yell at the opposing coach or the refs--and I do it all the time. I do not use profanity.

PS--I am one of the "old" guys and I cheer much more than most fans, including young ones, ever do. I stand up and get the crowd going. So it is stupid to stereotype people!

Someone posted we should get 3000 students at a game...wow, that would be an achievement. I've gone to a lot of college games at Ohio State and seen the Bills play in Charlotte, Louisville, UC, and UNC. Now I'm not sure but would say even these places have trouble pulling in 3,000 students a game. All the schools have their "blue crew" sections. My estimate would be these sections hold max about 750-1,000 kids. You look around at the rest of the crowd and clearly most aren't students, but regular season ticket holders. I think the success of these programs are built on attracting the general public and alumni who come year after year long after disinterested students have left.

I've seen it, I've heard it to others and have been asked numerous times to sit down. For what it is worth, that is a RIDICULOUS request! It's a basketball game! I was asked during the Gonzaga game to sit down during halftime when just everybody was up stretching. It always seems to people I haven't seen before at games that have asked me to sit down. I try not to be to confrontational if they are Bills fans and at a timeout or something I try to speak with them and inform them that standing and excitement can help the team. If they seem healthy and can stand themselves I go back to standing when I want and that's about every good play and when we need a defensive stance.

most student sections have limited space which in turn limit their size. Michigan State could draw 4000 or so students but instead they have 940 in the Izzone and another 400 or so upstairs ("The Shizzone"). Even at Duke the space is limited so big dollar alumni can have seats (you could probably fill Cameron with students if you wanted to). Marquette was getting 4000 students during the past few years for the big games but as they have struggled it has been reduced to around 750-1000 going to games so far this season.

I have never been asked to sit down ... and you'd have to throw me out first. Wouldn't happen... no way nada.

The thing is the whole place should be standing during a game like Gonzaga. Also ... what happenned to the old tradition of standing until the Bills first bucket.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

skip, in the last few years, that first basket sometimes didnt come for like 12 minutes. kind of feel stupid standing for the first basket under such ineptness.

I've got no problem with standing during the game. One thing that does make me mad is those who stand directly in fron of me during the Baby blues performance. I wouldn't do that. There are tons of places to stand elsewhere. Having said that, it's never bothered me enough to make a stink about it.

The only problem with standing all game for me would be the 60 lbs of lead (my son) I have to hoist up so he can see. If standing all game was required, I'd be dead by halftime.