today's post dispatch sports section.

for some reason, i got today's post dispatch delivered to my driveway today. so it was the first time i had really read the actual paper in a long time.

i chuckled when i say the 2nd and third pages were consumed by just a horrible 5 question interview with pretty q $nyder which also included almost a half page picture of $nyder (i guess suitable for framing by the laurie family), a very confusing article by our tom timmerman about baseball umpires (i guess it was supposed to be sarcasm. i didnt get it) and then a big nascar article.

there were three total articles on the mi$$ouri tiger football team throughout the total section.

two articles on the embarrassing illini football team.

two articles (including bernies column) on the worthless blues.

yet this is the eve of the billikens taking the floor for the first time. if nothing else, one would think our own beat writer would champion a billiken article rather than whatever that thing was he got space for this week.

starks, you are either an idiot or a pr!ck. which is it?

Are you all on your period this week? Why can't we support our Bills and have fun with the Bills without coming across as some whiny beotch with an inferiority complex. Some of you remind me of the way Royals fans act toward St. Louis.

I can't wait for the first game so Roy can go back to complaining about Ian rather that whine about the Post.

Way to end your posts, nice name calling.

Would we all like to have more SLU coverage? sure

Do we all have a bias towards SLU? probably

Do we all hate Mizzou? no

How relevant is SLU basketball to the St Louis community at this point in time? not much at all

How can this change? win some games, go the NCAA, win some NCAA games

Will SLU ever get the attention in the PD Broy wants? I doubt it

Why does Broy keep preaching to the choir that the PD is not covering SLU like he wants? not sure

While i mostly agree with your premise being win games = better coverage. I think that now more than ever the St. Louis Community is focused on SLU ball. Community being the local fans that have gone to HS games watching DP, LM, TL, and KL. Not to mention the fact the Dustin is coming in next year and surely he and everyone he knows will be watching as well as all the high level recruits that we are currently going after in the STL area. So, and this is just my opinion, we really MUST show that we have a fresh new product after last year. More now than ever with the new kids cuz if we lay another egg with all the increased local intrest, we can still go farther down the spiral contrary to what some may think. It is IMPERATIVE that we put up a .500 season or better if you ask me.

silence = acceptance.

i believe the post reads this board. to remain silent and accepting like kevin bacon in animal house is only cementing their own twisted belief that the public wants to read $nyder fake interviews, nascar, timmerman sarcasm about umpires, blues articles, and loser football articles.

we were told by starks last year that if a team is losing they can expect to have their coverage cut. $nyder is playing at least every other day, the blues, tiger football and illini football get multiple articles almost daily, i.e. he needs to practice what he preaches.

cowboy, i can only assume you have never tried to question mr starks in anyway. i have and i have gotten nothing but patronizing inconsistent answers. so when i see it continue, i will undoubtedly continue to whine about it and i wish those that care about the billikens would do the same. "the squeaky wheel" does indeed get the grease. but billiken fandom is far too quiet imo.

Broy, I appreciate your crusade.

With no competition, at least in ST Charles, the PD has slipped from bad to worse imo as a newspaper.

I'm not sure what the people there read (not including Bonwich) that would make them change.

I have questioned Mr starks on one occasion and he did respond in a professional manner, so not sure on that front.

the best ammo in the fight would be a winning team, I hope you get that.

When we win and fill the Savvis, then I will campaign with you.

at that point we wont need to campaign for coverage.

i just think it ironic he said we dont deserve coverage because we werent winning, yet the post continues to cover the other AREA (not necessarily local even) losers. why not spread that policy consistently across the board?

>at that point we wont need to campaign for coverage.

>

>i just think it ironic he said we dont deserve coverage

>because we werent winning, yet the post continues to cover

>the other AREA (not necessarily local even) losers. why not

>spread that policy consistently across the board?

Agreed. That's an idiotic policy if that's what he said. They would have to stop covering the Blues immediately, would have done very little on the Rams there first few years here and completely stopped covering Mizzou and Illini football about 15 years ago.

I noticed in the Calendar section on page 2 of the sports section, there is no listing of Billiken basketball. In the Post's defense, there's no mention of any basketball. BUT, there are actually games this week for all three area schools

The post sports section is defenseless. BRoy, I am following your suggestion and e-mailing Starks (I didn't even get the courtesy mof a response last time even tho my tone was polite) and the new editor. I also encourage others to do likewise. If a subscriber we should all complain about the new page 2 which indicates that they think we 1. cannot read, hence the unbelievable amount of space taken up daily by a picture and 2. care about any of the written copy that is included (exception for me, at least, Dan O'Neill). The Timmermann stuff recently has just been awful so I'm not sure we'll be happy even if he starts writing stuff about the Bills.

I will say that their Sports Dept. is now largely made up of a bunch of clowns with zero credentials (TT and G. Watson of the MO beat being the two prime examples). Bob Broeg must be spinning in his grave as he views from afar what has happened to a once great Sports Section. Why don't we get articles on a regular basis from T. Wheatley, V. Gregorian and/or Jeff Gordon. Whether you like all 3 of them or not, you must agree that they are a major step up from TT & GW. They only possible reason for subjecting us to cub reporters like TT & GW is that they come cheap compared to experienced writers.

Anyone who has forgotten what a real Sports Section looks like should go to a bookstore or a library and just read the Dallas Morning-News once. It will then be clear to you why the PD is in a death spiral, at least with regard to the Sports Dept.

As some of you know My brother moved up from DFW to go into business with me. That's all I hear about is how bad the Post Sports page is and how great the Dallas Morning News is. I have to say I agree.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

starks and myself are engaged in an e-mail discussion as we speak. his reasoning to my b!tches (i basically sent him the post that i started this string with) is so in outer space it is unbelieveable. i would just as soon he admit he hates the billikens or is going to marry lauries daughter or something than continue his patronizing.

Cowboy - using yor logic, there would be no or minimum coverage for MU or Illini. Think about how many people drive up to Columbia or Champagne to watch a bb game from the St. Louis metro area. Most of those in attendance on a regular basis are from out state. Somebody might drive up for a weekend game once a year but most from this area do not probably have season tickets and attend regularily. Now I am not saying that nobody fits this category just that there are more St. Louis metro residents attending Billiken games on a regular basis than either MU or Illini. So to say attendance is what will show that the area is interested in SLU won't wash. Clearly, PD has made an editorial staff decision to cover MU more and SLU less. Might it have something to do with that many of them attended MU's journalism school? - or has the staff changed that much that that is not true anymore?