This team lacks a LEADER

I said it after we lost to Hawaii and I'll say it again. this team lacks a leader, we don't have someone to give the ball to with the game on the line. we had TWO chances today and blew em both. As much as we all want Reggie to fill the Marque/Fish roll, he cant/wont/doesnt want to and theres nothing we can do to make him want to step up. Anyone know how things are inside that locker room? Do those guys even get along with each other or respect each other??

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been criticized for talking about behind the door stuff before, but who cares, i'm not being disrespectful. The guys all get along. But Coach is anything but encouraging and positive. I don't like his temper tantrums on or off the court, it's just ridiculous. Sorry I finally said it, I can't take it. East Carolina rode on every action , every word the coach screamed in time outs to the guys. They were yelling at the bench, repeating the coaches antics, it was crazy. Even when the guys win, they're still in the doghouse.

I personally think the guys are confused, they're stressed, they have ideas and suggestions, but they're not the coach. I don't see how a leader can ever evolve on this team unless Coach Brad is prepared to let them lead first. The coach doesn't communicate with his players personally. Reg finally did after several attempts and it was a good talk, but nothing changed. So if he's vocal to the coach and he's encouraging the guys, but they're down and depressed. What else can one do. After the East Carolina game, these guys came out of the locker room sad, some talked to me and made comments but when a coach would walk by, they would quiet down etc..they're not telling the coaches most of how they feel. I could tell. I don't know what kind of relationship they have with him personally but I could tell they don't talk (him and any of the players, except in practice or a game, he instructs). Shoot, I can tell u that from personally knowing. Again, there's no excitement, no joy, it doesn't even seem fun for them, even if they do get a win.

I've never seen a team so unemotional, even last year. When going to games and visiting the guys on the road. Guys weren't getting pumped up like most before a game, it was so serious, like if I said something, I would get smacked. I asked Reg is it always like this, he said yeah. I know I wasn't used to that. I think Coach is in a transition right now. Learning how to bridge a personal relationship with a working relationship with his players. He almost has to do that, to earn trust, to insure the guys that they have a valid voice on the team, to show support to the players, to have them believe that they can actually win games. Right now the players know it's all about the game and they're not a concern at all. At least that's my OPINION.

I know comments are made on assumptions because many don't know what's actually going on. Sometimes it bothers me the comments that are made simply because they're not based on anything other than assumptions. I can assure u that Reg wants to lead, he has leadership in him. He has evolved vocally over the last few months, whereas he's no longer quiet about his feelings regarding the team, the plays, everything. He talks to the players on the court in the huddles, he's vocal to the coach, he's stepped up. I give him props for his positive attitude, because if it were me, I can see myself having much time on the bench. Because it would be ugly, this losing season with all the close games, I'd be on the players, the coaches, the refs, the media, everybody. He doesn't have to play, his future is set, but he still wants this team to be successful, he cares about this team and the staff. Some say let the younger guys take over. I say let them. I don't think it will make a difference because I don't think the players are the only ones who share blame in this losing season.

I seriously was trying not to look on the board for a while, to not post because, It's always the same things. I guess I can't get enough. Hopefully nothing I've said will cause a riot, I've stated some facts and mostly opinion, which hopefully all can see the difference.

That all makes sense Brehms. Brad is certainly yelling a lot more and the only one who it doesnt seem to effect is DB as he still attacks the basket and attempts to play his game. Obviously Brad's yelling is hindering DP of developing as he shoots about 2 times per game. With the season over, it might be time to see how everyone plays when they dont have worry about one mistake landing them on the bench.

I ahve watched this team closely in warmups and at off times. I often see them laughing and joking with each other.

I believe you have a very different perspective being the sister of one of the players. Unfortunately, you brother has not stepped up this year and it has nothing to do with the coach. He plays passively often and he does not take the leadership role. He looks to be a player who would be very happy if someone else is taking the lead. This does not make him a bad person it is just his personality.

With regard to Brad, I agree that he is taking this team's poor play personally and he may be too intense for some of the players. Some players react very well to a coach that is intense and demanding and others do not. It is very difficult for a fierce competitor to take losing easily, without emotion. Maybe Brad will learn from this season something few coaches ever learn, often you need to coach what you have, not what you want them to be. Coach thinks his veterans are the answer to his need for solid play down the stretch and each of the three have missed shots and turned the ball over at crucial times that cost us at least 6 or 7 games. He needs to change and put the ball in the hands of the young guys to get them ready for next year.

I sure hope that you get over this need to go "public" with your ideas about the team and the coach. I view a team like a family and no family member ever talks about problems in the family on the internet. The season is almost over. I am sorry that Reggie is so miserable.

Brehms, it's good to hear Reggie is still taking the positive approach and keeping his head up. No matter how much we assess things and analyze to our heart's content, one team always walks off the court with a loss on their record.

As much as we may be losing on the court this season, I still feel we have players who are winners. Having loving relations with family, raising children properly, getting a good college degree, looking after those who need help is far more important in the long run than a single season basketball record. I hope your brother realizes the same effort, passion, and commitment in his career and family will make him a very successful person and a loving father.

Give me a break, Billikan.

You've seen this team during warm-ups and off times and they are joking and laughing? So, I guess you have a handle on the team then?

None of us have answers to what is going on, but I can tell you this, Brad has done a crappy job this year. Not sure how anyone can argue that! Sure players haven't stepped up, and Brad certainly doesn't deserve all the blame. But, it starts with the Coach. Any D1 coach will tell you that.

Let me suggest Metamucil or even Citrucel capsules, I heard it helps, because you sound like a constipated old fart!

>>I personally think the guys are confused, they're stressed, they have ideas and suggestions, but they're not the coach. I don't see how a leader can ever evolve on this team unless Coach Brad is prepared to let them lead first.<<

Excellent observation.

I'm driven to distraction with Brad's strange substitutions at in opportune times but the thing that really annoys me is his continual, blaring yelling at the guys every minute of every game. I'd say he sounds like a high school coach but even HS coaches are more composed than that (thicks, back me up on that one). Really, he sounds like some parent at a grade school game. What makes it even more ridiculous is that there is absolutely no way the players can actually listen to Mr. Microphone Mouth and concentrate on playing the game. No wonder our players appear tentative, tense on the floor.

As Brehems points out, how do we expect one of the players to step up and take control of a game down the stretch when Brad "the mouth that won't quit" Soderberg is haranging them from the sidelines with orders every second of every possession? Danny Brown's experience at a military academy must have somehow prepared him for this as he is the only guy who seems to be able to shut Brad out.

If you want a child, an employee, or a player on your team to grow, you have to give them responsibility and then step back to let that person succeed or fail with what you have handed them. Brad just can't bring himself to take his hands off the reigns.

First, let me state that overall I believe Brad has done an outstanding job in his tenure as HC. However, like many on this Board, I do not believe that the Marq. game was his finest hour-in fact I question some of his tactics all year (such as constantly forcing the ball inside to average, at best, big men for highly contested shots while passing up uncontested 18-22' shots). Second, I usually find myself on the other side of the fence from Billikan, but not this time.

I have been becoming increasing turned off by brehms13's posts on this Board She has become a disruptive factor in her supposed inside info posts while constantly reminding us of her objectivity. She can only be getting this c#@% from one person (if she is really getting it from anyone) and I find that "one person" to be a big part of the problem this year, and I am only speaking of his minutes ON the court. As an aside, if Reggie is really feeding his sister this c#@%, then he is an even bigger part of the problem.

Brehms13, your 2nd last paragraph, besides being somewhat rambling and nonsensical, clearly represents an unbelievably biased and distorted view of the situation, and I for one (make that two with Billikan) have had enough of your "inside info" negativity. If Reggie had ANY interest in putting out ANY effort on defense then and ONLY then would he be trying to be a leader of this young team. His points Sat. did not come close to equaling his points given up by a complete lack of effort on defense. Leaders don't take half the game off and then complain to their sisters afterwards.

Encourage your brother to play both ends of the court and we will have fewer losses to complain about the HC. Then if you have issues with the HC great, but make them your issues and not ones coming out of the locker room.

I find your disruptive posts of little to no value in what I would hope all Billikenboard members (except the idiot Tn2) want-a really good Billiken BB team. I would like to see you become part of the solution instead of becoming part of the problem.

(such as constantly forcing the ball inside to average, at best, big men for highly contested shots while passing up uncontested 18-22' shots).

I agree with a lot of your post but the sentance above is just plain goofy. I've seen EVERY guard on our team pass the ball when given the opportuninty to take that 18-22 foot shot. We don't take those shots because we don't have the belief that we'll hit them. If we had freaking Drew Deiner on this team we'd have about 5 more wins because he could play Drejaj style defense and hit and open three.

what you think that brad is yelling at players more than huggins or crean for example? you are watching a different game than me i think. the days of john wooden or denny crum sitting on the bench watching quietly with a rolled up program are long ago. no one sits any more without instructing.

and the day a player "shuts out" his coach while on the floor, will be the day that player takes a seat.

My point is that we have players (RB, DB, LM, VN and yes with some confidence DP) who, if encourged could sink these shots with some regularity, rather than passing them up to try and force the ball into our bigs for short, but tough shots. When we have an uncontested 20' shot I would rather see us take it than passing it up for, at best, a difficult inside shot or at worst a turnover, which we have seen way too many of. Our outside players just don't seem to be able to pull the trigger and this inability is caused by 1. poor judgment, 2. lack of confidence, or 3. coaching.

I am not saying that we a great ouside shooting team, but I am saying that we are passing up too many open outside shots with a reasonable chance of converting and opting instead for a difficult inside shot and often times a turnover.

actually bauman, i think in late december early january those players had their chance to make those shots and instead buried this team. the way i look at it, an increase in focus on getting the ball inside will only help develop vouyoukas and johnson assuming they end up being our inside next year. might as well let them learn on the job. especially considering there is a very good chance our existing guards all will take two steps down the ladder starting in late august.

Possibly, but 1. and 2. could have other causes. Some players just do not show good judgment, eg. AD taking a stupid running 10' shot at the end of the first half when better options were available or RB passing up a wide open 21' shot only to take a well-guarded 21' shot 3-5 seconds later (no, the shot clock was not a factor). Also, some individuals just are not confident by nature, and I think DP and LM fall into that category with regard to their shot. Yes, coaching can go a long way to fixing 1. and 2., but it isn't always the cause.

If, Brad is causing these problems by not allowing them to make some mistakes then I would agree he has to make some changes in his approach to his players, especially his young players.

I do not want to see Brad becoming like Rich Grawer, at the end of his time at SLU, who would pull a player from a game for any mistake. Coaches need to build confidence not destroy it!

Huggins isn't exactly the poster child for mature, senatorial college coaches. Personally, I think Brad's yelling at the players is above Huggins (who is more focused on the refs than his own players). The mold I prefer on the sidelines is Rick Pitino or Lute Olson or even Romar (Pitino and Romar occasionally yell from the sidelines at their players but it will be when they actually have something that needs to be said--10 times per half as opposed to 100--not yell just to keep their mouths moving or because they are unable to physically control their emotions on the bench).

Roy, I agree with you on most things Billiken-related, but I think you and I are watching different games with regard to this issue. In any case, I still think it is important to build confidence in our young players (DP, DB and LM) to take and make 20' shots since they will be here 3 more years and will get a lot of minutes and be critical to our success even with KL and TL onboard.

By the way, I didn't intend to limit my comments to our big men taking tough, closely guarded shots inside. Many of the guards have done the same thing-have you watched some of the shots AD has taken while in the paint.

everyone has a style. since you brought up pitino, i will tell you about witnessing pitino up close a couple of years ago. at the conference tourney in freedom hall in 2003, the billikens were to play the game after louisville. since we were in that particular session, the way the cusa tix system works is that the 4 teams in each session get courtside seats. most fans only come to watch their team play, but i go to all the games. so that game here i was in the second row behind pitino.

you are correct in that pitino does not normally yell at the players. he has his assistants be the bad guys. if a player did something that irked slick, he would tear into a particular assistant immediately. that assistant would then hound the player accordingly. slick was the good guy, and his assistants the bad. it seemed like each assistant had 3-4 players that were his responsibility.

btw, saturday i saw angres thorpe on his feet yelling as much if not more than brad until the end of the game. in fact, brad did indeed sit at least half of the first half.

bauman, i am not saying we have been more successful throwing it inside (with the exception of when in most games this year the inside pass has went to izik). i just think that in future minutes, i see ian and i guess johnson playing a whole lot of minutes per game, whereas it seems to me that the guards may take a cut in mpg when liddell and lisch arrive. if that isnt the case, then you are absolutely right. especially polk, brown and meyer.

btw, i still have a lot of confidence that all three of the above freshmen guards will develop into good players.

while this has been a difficult year, i like the potential of this team a lot. i continue to think of claggett and highmark's freshman season. and boy that was a tough season to sit through as well.

the teams that were just as difficult to watch imo, were the spoon teams of 96-97 (pre hughes) and 98-98 (post hughes). those teams were the ones that drove me really crazy and gave me little hope.

Look, as we entered the court to inbound the ball with a tie game at the end of regulation, Reggie was fired up. You could see he wanted the ball. His hands were clapping he was ready for the moment and he was loose. In essence, he was everything you'd want out of a leader.

The reason we lost the game was that we could not bring the ball up the court in the last 2 minutes of regulation. We simply do not have the players on this team to do the little things that win games.

I believe we have some younger players on the team who in the future may make solid contributions, I also believe that we have players on the way that have the potential for very strong contributions, but overall the talent on this team is not good enough to be a winning program.

There are too many times when we have players on the floor that are clearly liabilities to the team. AD with the ball under pressure... there are not a lot of scenarios when this is appealling. Also get Ian out of the game when the other team presses, he is a wasted body on the floor. It was 5 on 4 at the end of the game. DP when he is not willing/allowed to shoot or drive the lane.

Just a general question, at this stage in his career and for purposes of winning this season (don't consider the value of playing time for future seasons) who would you rather get playing time now Luke Meyer or Drew Diener as a senior?

In any close loss you can point to a couple of plays and blame the individuals involved. Let's look at the rest of the game. SLU

shot poorly from the free throw line, and shot terribly from the floor the entire game.

At early season practices which I attended, the coaching staff encouraged the players to shoot if they felt like they had an open look and a makeable shot. I guess some players would respond positively to that, while others might hesitate to shoot for fear that their judgement would be questioned. It is up to the coach to read his players and try to optimize their performance.

What do you do when your team can't make a basket? The coach can design plays/strategies to create opportunities, but cannot make the shots fall. SLU has had its share of excellent looks at the basket all year. How can the players question the coaching staff when they cannot score points against anybody?

To answer to the question - Luke. Clearly the confidence of the team is low on the offensive side - they still played good defense against Marquette and really have all season. Right now everybody is frustrated - that is why I have been preaching for the pressure to be released. In other words, start playing the young kids for growth for next year. Brad can calm down and let them play and he can become a teacher. If he would do this, the stress level will drop for everybody. The problem he has to deal with is he has to tell his seniors that they will get less pt and you know they won't like hearing that. But there really is no point in continuing down this path the rest of the season - imagine what it would be like to get an upset or two before the season (not big ones just nice wins) with they young players playing. Everyone will feel better and start looking forward to next year. As far as the coach not talking to his players or screaming at them - none of that is good in the perfect world but we all know that all organizations go through stressful times and people's feelings get a little bruised but if you can start building for the future then everything gets better.