Observation from Down In The Valley

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, MVP44MVC said:

Thank you for the lesson on irony.  Let me explain.  The irony in my statement is that while SLU didn’t want to be associated with or participate in a sub-par conference (MVC), they (SLU) went actively seeking talent (a coach and players) from that very conference, implying to me that they see value in it despite their initial reluctance.  The irony lies in the contradiction between not wanting to be associated with the MVC initially, possibly due to it’s perceived lower status, yet being willing to recruit from there when (SLU) needed much improvement, suggesting a sudden change in perspective or priorities.  

I think walking in the rain in Terre Haute makes your brain soggy.  Now, before you give me a lesson on what a metaphor is let me explain..."the rain in Terre Haute makes your brain soggy" likens the effect of the rain on one's (A-Bomb) brain to the sensation of becoming mentally sluggish or dull, implying that the rain can have a draining or tiresome effect on one's cognitive abilities.

Next lesson?

Yeah still not irony.  I think you are confusing it with hypocrisy. If you consider SLU's actions hipocritical then you're ignoring the actions of MVC schools and schools in every other conference better than the MVC. Hence criticizing SLU fans and not criticizing them as well, makes you a hypocrite.

While you obviously read my post you didn't understand. It's ok, not everyone grasps concepts immediately. Hang in there buddy you'll come to understand.

To review: If given a choice, schools and fans don't want to move to a lesser conference. The lesser conference coaches and good players will often move to better conferences. Accepting that movement doesn't mean you should be willing to move to a conference with less NCAA bids, media coverage and revenue.

It's just something else that seems hard for you to understand. But please try to seem smart in your retort by explaining a simile or some other non-sequiter.

Billikenbooster likes this

7 hours ago, MVP44MVC said:

Thank you for the lesson on irony.  Let me explain.  The irony in my statement is that while SLU didn’t want to be associated with or participate in a sub-par conference (MVC), they (SLU) went actively seeking talent (a coach and players) from that very conference, implying to me that they see value in it despite their initial reluctance.  The irony lies in the contradiction between not wanting to be associated with the MVC initially, possibly due to it’s perceived lower status, yet being willing to recruit from there when (SLU) needed much improvement, suggesting a sudden change in perspective or priorities.  

I think walking in the rain in Terre Haute makes your brain soggy.  Now, before you give me a lesson on what a metaphor is let me explain..."the rain in Terre Haute makes your brain soggy" likens the effect of the rain on one's (A-Bomb) brain to the sensation of becoming mentally sluggish or dull, implying that the rain can have a draining or tiresome effect on one's cognitive abilities.

Next lesson?

You’re regarded. 

8 hours ago, MVP44MVC said:

Next lesson?

Next lesson comes from William Shakespeare.  Pericles, Act 2, Scene 1:

“Master, I marvel how the fishes live in the sea.

Why, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones”

SLU, the big fish, snacked on Indiana State, the little fish. 

Billiken Rich likes this

31 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Next lesson comes from William Shakespeare.  Pericles, Act 2, Scene 1:

“Master, I marvel how the fishes live in the sea.

Why, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones”

SLU, the big fish, snacked on Indiana State, the little fish. 

image.gif.ae67a9baae884236e5980a00a8410532.gif

We have to consider a different point of view in this discussion. Let's look at Schertz, he was a kid with not much in terms of an education who started at a very low level in the business of basketball coaching. As it actually is, most famous and well known coaches may have started at a fairly low level and slowly went up the scale. This was the case with Schertz, and Schertz happened to be good so he went up the scale with time. ISU was a very good break for him, and this last season was a breakthrough season for him.

There he was, he had developed a winning strategy and could recruit kids seemingly out of obscurity and train them into great players. As it was when the light of recognition and fame shone on him he upgraded and brought with him some of his best players. He now has a much better pay than he had at ISU and is positioning himself to repeat what he did at ISU.

The reality of the situation is that if he does at SLU what he did at ISU, he is likely to be nabbed by some of the power schools within a few years and at a better income level. This story is likely to repeat and we, SLU, must expect this to happen. Will Schertz career end at Duke or UConn? Who knows? but it is not an unlikely possibility.

You all at ISU should anticipate that your story may well repeat itself at our campus. For our side's point of view, we should enjoy our time with Schertz and understand that his time here will also come to an end when he goes to a better school with a higher salary. So, lets have a joyful time with a really good coach among us, while it  lasts.

HoosierPal and SLU_Lax like this

23 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Yeah still not irony.  I think you are confusing it with hypocrisy. If you consider SLU's actions hipocritical then you're ignoring the actions of MVC schools and schools in every other conference better than the MVC. Hence criticizing SLU fans and not criticizing them as well, makes you a hypocrite.

If being called a hypocrite is the best defense you have, than I guess I'll take that as a compliment.  I guess only time will tell if SLU can make a comeback as impressive as your insults.  

3 minutes ago, drkelsey55 said:

IGNORE FUNCTION IS A GREAT

Yeah but having an intelligent or a quirky character troll from the team you just decimated can be stimulating.  Not saying this do-fuss is either yet but it's a young season.

TheA_Bomb likes this

48 minutes ago, MVP44MVC said:

If being called a hypocrite is the best defense you have, than I guess I'll take that as a compliment.  I guess only time will tell if SLU can make a comeback as impressive as your insults.  

Now I'm offended I'm only here to teach. You can ask the other posters, I'm patient and understanding.  

Plus it's great to meet a fan of a conference. Especially one like the Missouri Valley. Usually a poster will be a fan of a specific school and mean-spirited posters (not me) would then criticize that poster's school. But you, you're like a unicorn, you must just love Arch Madness so happy no matter who wins. But it's gotta be disappointing on selection Sunday, when the one bid monster gets the MVC yet again!

The above is also not irony, it's sarcasm.  Still teaching. Please keep coming back for more lessons. That last sentence was irony.  Bonus lesson.