Major Changes to NIT

Comments: 

1. The Power 6 takeover of College Basketball becomes more visible. While this is just the NIT here and now, is this a foreshadowing of a split of College Basketball into D1-A and D1-AA like in Football?

2.  That the dissolving PAC-12 gets 2 bad teams, conference also rans, each getting home games in the NIT is absurd.  That applies to any Power 6, but especially one that’s dissolving.

3. In ‘23 the Mountain West was #5 in Conference NET, better than the #6 PAC-12 and #7 ACC. Yet the Mountain West gets no automatic NIT bids and home games, whereas the Power 6 gets 12. 

4.  On the other hand this should help good SLU teams at least get in the NIT. SLU would need to be in the Top 4 of of the remaining teams to get an NIT home game. I’ve always been opposed to bestowing NIT auto bids on regular season conference champs that don’t win their conference tourneys. That skewed the NIT with too many undeserving low cons that had NIT auto bids at the expense of better teams, like SLU. 

I think this was a reaction to the report that Fox was trying to organize a Power conference only postseason tournament. If the NCAA allowed that to compete with the NIT and NCAA tournament, they give up control, so they needed to do something to kill that, and this was the answer. I also wonder if there won’t be more pressure on the selection committee to put even more Power conference teams in the NCAA tournament to maintain their control over it. I fully expect the NCAA tournament to expand to 96 teams as their ultimate solution to the problem.  I don’t think it’s good news for SLU, the real issue for teams in all conferences outside of the Power conferences is going to be win your conference tournament, otherwise there is nothing for you in post season play at all.  Expect even fewer extra bids for non-conference winners, until you see them expand the tournament to 96, then you might see some stabilization for mid-major non-conference winners in terms of numbers making it into the NCAAT.

5 hours ago, SLU_Lax said:

Problem is that would render the regular season nearly meaningless. 

Doesn't seem to affect high school across America that all teams make the playoffs.  

AGB91 and almaman like this

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Where have you been for the last 30 years.  Nothing new here.

30 years ago they were doing things that pissed me off but I always thought they would figure it out.

Now I can clearly see the end of what make argue tournament great and it’s not far away. 

cheeseman likes this