c.may on 590 the fan

13 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

We’re the same age (both started driving in the late 90s). Getting back to Torch’s post, wouldn’t you agree the cops and the courts today are a lot more serious about drunk driving than when we started drinking (and driving)? Unfortunately me and my friends drove under the influence on several occasions during high school. Thankfully we never hurt anyone. But there were 2 types of cops that pulled us over in the late 90s: those that made you pour your beers out before letting you drive home and those that just told you to drive home. Not a chance that happens today. Thankfully the police don’t F around with that anymore and the judges don’t let Travis Noble(‘s clients)* get away with as many technicalities as they used to.

I think you are right. It was a long time ago, but in one of my SATOP meetings we watched a video about the enforcement of DUIs and at that time the punishment from state to state was much different. If I recall correctly, Ohio was fairly aggressive. I was rather drunk, so I essentially received a punishment as if I was a repeat offender, but it felt warranted even if l weren’t as intoxicated. The better part of a year not drinking, without a license, attending meetings, listening to a woman who lost her son due to a drunk driver, and doing community service was a pretty good deterrent for me. Considering the potential consequences of my actions I certainly wasn’t upset by any of it. Like I said, at that time, that was a really serious punishment for a first time offender though. My SATOP class was mostly folks more in the Dan category who clearly have demons they struggle with it. Lesson learned for me and I think by connection a lot of my friends, so the punishment was worth it for me.

SLU_Lax and Neidermeyer like this

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Which Knights Inn should I bring my paystubs to? 

With the unfortunate demise of the franchised Knights Inn of Salina, Kansas, the committee needs to decide whether or not to go forward at the Budget Host Inn Salina in the same location or find an additional Knights Inn. 

I was forced to stay overnight in Salina while driving back from a ski trip in Colorado.  Our hotel room had a nice view of the Salina water tower, which I snapped a picture of for posterity.  My wife looked at me like I had two heads, which is not an uncommon occurrence in our relationship.  I will say that everyone we encountered there was super friendly - props to Salina!

BilliesBy40 likes this