Ramon Trice RIP

2 hours ago, OkieBilliken said:

According to Earl Austin Jr, Ramon Trice passed away.  I always remember him holding the ball when we beat a ranked Memphis State

Ramon Trice was so good that on national TV the announcer said this bispecticled young man dribbles like he has eyes in the back of his head!!! He and Shotgun Campbell were legendary Public High League players at the V!

OkieBilliken, AGB91 and brianstl like this

4 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Ramon Trice was so good that on national TV the announcer said this bispecticled young man dribbles like he has eyes in the back of his head!!! He and Shotgun Campbell were legendary Public High League players at the V!

I believe that Trice and Campbell backcourt at the V was the first to win Floyd a state title.

VeniceMenace likes this

One of my faves.  Earl summed it up, just a cool dude.

He was the leading scorer on the 1st Floyd Irons Championship at Vashon.  As was the case with many Vashon teams, that group just ran guys off the floor.  That State title team had to forfeit most of their games because Irons let an ineligible player play.  They won that title with nobody over 6 feet 2 and 200 lbs on that squad.

A lot of the Vashon guys would play on this team called the Zips.  They were like a Jr High Globetrotters team that would perform at HS and college games.  Trice played for them and I always remember he could do some real tricks with the ball that I had never seen before.  He could shoot from anywhere as well.  Various things, his knees were always messed up, he was never in shape, he played like a track star but didn't have that real burst anymore.  If he still had that speed he maybe could have been a point guard.  Grawer would dump on him at practice every day.  Guy who made 7-7 3 pointers in a game his Jr year wasn't allowed to shoot outside the paint his Sr year.  Newberry eventually replaced him.  Trice should have been like a Duff or Virgil Cobbin but Grawer pretty much wasted him.  His Sr year team was full of headcases and quitters and he had the worst time of it and played with a smile on his face.

2 minutes ago, thetorch said:

He was the leading scorer on the 1st Floyd Irons Championship at Vashon.  As was the case with many Vashon teams, that group just ran guys off the floor.  That State title team had to forfeit most of their games because Irons let an ineligible player play.  They won that title with nobody over 6 feet 2 and 200 lbs on that squad.

A lot of the Vashon guys would play on this team called the Zips.  They were like a Jr High Globetrotters team that would perform at HS and college games.  Trice played for them and I always remember he could do some real tricks with the ball that I had never seen before.  He could shoot from anywhere as well.  Various things, his knees were always messed up, he was never in shape, he played like a track star but didn't have that real burst anymore.  If he still had that speed he maybe could have been a point guard.  Grawer would dump on him at practice every day.  Guy who made 7-7 3 pointers in a game his Jr year wasn't allowed to shoot outside the paint his Sr year.  Newberry eventually replaced him.  Trice should have been like a Duff or Virgil Cobbin but Grawer pretty much wasted him.  His Sr year team was full of headcases and quitters and he had the worst time of it and played with a smile on his face.

Thanks Torch.  I always appreciate your info on stuff that happened before I was a Billiken Fan and had any knowledge of STL highschool ball.

On 8/10/2023 at 11:32 PM, thetorch said:

Did a story on the Zips in 1986. They had 6-5 twins, in junior high at the time, both could dunk already…they were nicknamed Heckle and Jeckle…last name was Coleman. Visited their home, nice kids…lost track of them.

They went on to play for the V—saw them at the shootout, when Vashon beat Anfernee Hardaway and his high school team from Memphis. Hardaway was unreal—full court bounce passes to teammates for layups. Zips must have had some illustrious players through the years. Olin executive coached them & surely funded the effort.

David King likes this

On 8/10/2023 at 11:32 PM, thetorch said:

Torch, fantastic look back…believe every word…in line with Grawer’s over-the-top behavior when he was mic’d up on the NIT final four broadcast…and was caught live dressing down Newberry and calling him a chicken. 

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

Did a story on the Zips in 1986. They had 6-5 twins, in junior high at the time, both could dunk already…they were nicknamed Heckle and Jeckle…last name was Coleman. Visited their home, nice kids…lost track of them.

They went on to play for the V—saw them at the shootout, when Vashon beat Anfernee Hardaway and his high school team from Memphis. Hardaway was unreal—full court bounce passes to teammates for layups. Zips must have had some illustrious players through the years. Olin executive coached them & surely funded the effort.

Paul Fultz was the guy.  He ran the basketball and baseball programs through the Kiwanis club.  Poured a ton of his own money into the programs.  St. Louis city just torn down the baseball field named after him, formerly known as The Greens in a park along River Des Peres. Stupid move by the city.

5 hours ago, brianstl said:

Paul Fultz was the guy.  He ran the basketball and baseball programs through the Kiwanis club.  Poured a ton of his own money into the programs.  St. Louis city just torn down the baseball field named after him, formerly known as The Greens in a park along River Des Peres. Stupid move by the city.

Yep, that’s him, thank you BrianSTL. I believe it was over $1 million that he funded, special place in heaven for that gentleman.

AGB91 likes this

• 8 months later...
On 8/12/2023 at 11:12 PM, brianstl said:

I remember playing a few baseball games against the Paul Fultz "Pros" at The Greens in the late 80s. Probably the first time this Creve Coeur kid saw the famous River Des Peres and the pretzel guy on the corner. A not fond memory of one of the games was playing manning left field and having the ball bounce off my glove and over the fence for a home run.