Collins to undergo NBA Evaluation Process

6 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I can't remember the last time a player averaged 10 apg in college.

Oscar Robertson perhaps. 
Edit - nope. Assists weren’t an official college stat when O was playing… unfortunate. 
He did average (as a pro) more than 10 assists per game a few years in 61 and then from 63-66. Amazing. 9.5APG for his career. 

You all realize that Yuri just essentially declared for the NBA draft.  You can wordsmith it any way you want but that's what he did.  He's going in for an evaluation.  He may or may not choose to hire an agent.  That hiring will not impact his eligibility provided the agent is certified by the NBA/NCAA whatever.  He can return to SLU if he so desires when all is said and done.  Or go pro.  This is exactly the process Nesbitt will be in except Nesbitt doesn't seem to have anyone in the SLU camp pulling him back from the NBA abyss nor does he seem to harbor any sentiments of the same.  Has anyone figured out if he's still even taking his classes?  

@The Wiz ---only four players have averaged 10 apg since 1985.  Morant.  Haggerty.  And Avery Johnson twice.  If there is another I'm missing, please inform me of who.  To take that a little further, only Morant was a lock first round draft pick as @Bills By 40 guarantees Yuri to be if he does do it.  The noted Avery Johnson went undrafted out of Southern but caught on same year with the Seattle Supersonics after the summer as a bench rider for the Palm Beach Stingrays.  The rest for him is history. Haggerty, after his four-year career at Baylor was over, also went undrafted and ended up as an assistant coach at Hutchinson Community College.  Haggerty never set foot on an NBA court as a player.  Haggerty was six feet tall.

I do agree that wordsmithing Collins' decision as an "evaluation" does serve at least two purposes.  It shows potential recruits that SLU coudl be a viable way to the League.  And it also allows Ford to hit the recruiting trail telling these potential portal guys they can come to SLU and showcase their cases with the nation's leading assist man making them look better.  Smart.

7 hours ago, slu72 said:

Is this the same process that Nesbitt is going thru? I’d be shocked if either player gets a nod to enter the draft at this point. Both need to improve their shot from NBA range. Yurimania at 6’ would have to play like the second coming of Iverson, and I don’t see that at this stage. Not saying he couldn’t get there just not yet. 
Still a good move for him as it’s like getting a free evaluation of where he needs to be. 

NBA advice or Ford should make Yuri aware  

that he had too many occasions where a trailing guard caused him to lose the ball because he could not keep track of everyone or he slowed his momentum and defense caught him from behind.

thatskablamo likes this

6 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

I don’t think it’s crazy for Yuri to avg slightly more assists next year. He’ll be a better decision maker and get 3 apg dishing to Perkins alone. We’re going to avg 80 ppg

Yuri's usage rate will go down with Perkins back and even more so if an additional one-on-one player like Eric Williams is added.  A player who averages 10 apg has to be efficient AND have a usage rate through the roof.  To the contrary, you'll see the ball in other players hands more than you ever did last year.

I know this sounds counterintuitive but Yuri has a better chance of averaging 10 apg if he comes back for a 5th year.  His usage rate will again be through the roof.  The 1st and 2nd options on offense will likely be catch and shoot players.

slufanskip and Littlebill like this

10 hours ago, GOSLU68 said:

NBA advice or Ford should make Yuri aware  

that he had too many occasions where a trailing guard caused him to lose the ball because he could not keep track of everyone or he slowed his momentum and defense caught him from behind.

Yuri, while leading the nation in assists and APG, also had the dubious distinction of leading the nation in turnovers with 138. I guess that may happen, like the HR leader who also leads the league in strikeouts. 

The message to Yuri should be to keep doing what you are doing, with a little more emphasis on ball security. Go bills. 

oddly, i feel a lot (if not most) of yuri's turnovers were probably not a result of when he was playing pure point guard.   they were when he turned into hero ball mode drove into the forest shot clock running out and having little to no chance to make anything of that.  

i dont consider that yuri's fault.   he was doing as the plan instructed and put in a near impossible situation considering his skills and size and the constraints of the clock.   it we really want yuri APG to go up.  we run.   getting out on the break is the best way to garner assists.

Old guy likes this