Jump to content

SLU Women's Soccer Thread (2020 - 2021)


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, courtside said:

Tough loss for SLU. Washington is a difficult style matchup. They are very good at limiting chances. They don’t make a lot of mistakes. Not the best played game by either team, but a good effort from both sides.

Difficult to play without Larson, who was a top 20 National Freshman much of the year. It would have helped to open things up for some others. Friedrick didn’t get enough touches until overtime, when she had a few good chances. And SLU Didn’t get enough from Miller and Groark offensively. SLU moved a few people around multiple times in the game.Hoping a healthy Larson is back with Lawler, Cytron, Gaebe, Smith, Friedrick, Miller, Kelly, next year, for more depth up front. 

In fairness, Washington was missing a few players too, including Summer Yates, their best offensive player, and two time First Team Pac 12. Both teams were missing players.

At times, SLU had some difficulty containing Ameera Hussen in the central midfield. She had a good game. Back line was solid for both teams. Beach and Halverson were good and active. They talk about Pang a lot for a reason. She is a good player in back.

SL was Round of 32, top 16 seed. Another A-10 Double Title. Very good season with a tough ending. This is the kind of game SLU needs to win to take the next step forward. They return most of the team with good experience, and, they add a few good players too. 

 

What do you know about Hadley Cytron the Tenn transfer? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

What do you know about Hadley Cytron the Tenn transfer? 

Really good prep (Ladue) and Club Player (SLSG) that committed to a Tennessee team coming off of an NCAA Quarterfinal. One of just a few local players selected to National ECNL camp (multiple times). Slow transition at Tennessee, mostly seeing  limited time against lesser opponents. Decided to transfer after her first year fall semester there. Attacking midfielder. High level student, character. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a reminder 

Nine Billikens Earn A-10 Postseason Honors - Saint Louis University (slubillikens.com)

7 first team all conference players  / 1 Sr / 1 Jr / 1 Soph / 4 Freshman / 

Conference Defender of the year Purcelli - Freshman / Midfielder of they year Miller- Soph / Offensive player of the year Freidrich -Jr 

 

SLU's breakdown of minutes played 

Freshman 41%  /  Soph 30% / Jr 15% / Sr 14%  = 71% Fresh/Soph

These are just amazing 

For comparison Washington ( who just beat them in the tourney PK's ) 

Freshman 7% / Soph 12 % /  Jr's 39%  /  Sr's 42% /  = 81% Jr/Sr

 

This is not to diminish the fact Wash won the game but just to put how young we are into perspective. And they're the Power 5 school. It's usually the smaller conference team loaded with Jr's and Sr's when they have their best runs not the other way around. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Sounds like she's potentially a high end player. 

Yes. Potentially/Hopefully. She and Anna Lawler were the two U17 local players at the time, invited to ECNL National Training Camp. There have been a some others over the years in the SLSG program that have been invited but not many.

Cytron played club soccer with several current SLU players including Larson, Beach, Walsh, Hatfield, Christanell, Miller, Puricelli, Lesko, Groark etc...and has known them many years.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, courtside said:

Yes. Potentially/Hopefully. She and Anna Lawler were the two U17 local players at the time, invited to ECNL National Training Camp. There have been a some others over the years in the SLSG program that have been invited but not many.

Cytron played club soccer with several current SLU players including Larson, Beach, Walsh, Hatfield, Christanell, Miller, Puricelli, Lesko, Groark etc...and has known them many years.

 

For those of you who follow this closer,  what happened to Lawler this year?  Also. I have looked throughout the SLU Official website to see who we have commitments from for this upcoming class, other than Cytron and can't find anything.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, bauman said:

 

She has had multiple injuries in her career. Her first one came early in her first season while starting at Oklahoma St. before transferring to SLU. She of course was very highly recruited, a high school All American, player of the decade in St. Louis. Obviously when healthy, she starts, and she is an important contributor.

Injuries are an unfortunate part of the game sometimes. SLU has had a few of them. Depth is important. I saw several NCAA games with some teams missing high profile players.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, courtside said:

She has had multiple injuries in her career. Her first one came early in her first season while starting at Oklahoma St. before transferring to SLU. She of course was very highly recruited, a high school All American, player of the decade in St. Louis. Obviously when healthy, she starts, and she is an important contributor.

Injuries are an unfortunate part of the game sometimes. SLU has had a few of them. Depth is important. I saw several NCAA games with some teams missing high profile players.

 

 

Is she done playing? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Around the NCAA Tourney...

Junior St. Louisan Midfielder Delaney Schultz (MICDS, SLSG) scored the game winner for Rice (PK) in their. 1-0 upset of West Virginia to advance to the Sweet 16. She also helped set up goals in their 3-1 opening round win over Furman. She's had a great career there.

Senior Channing Foster (SLSG) helped lead Ole Miss to the Sweet 16. 0-0 PK's escape over Bowling Green, and 2-2 PK's over USC. She's a two time 1st team SEC.

Freshman Ava Tankersley (Ft. Zumwalt) (SLSG) started for Arkansas in their 3-1 win over Utah Valley to advance to the Sweet 16. Utah Valley had upset Memphis. She made the SEC Freshman Team.

Cindarella story came to an end for Iowa. After a rough season, they improbably won the Big Ten Conference Tourney. Then they upset Campbell in the NCAA Tourney. Then they led UCLA 1-0 with 10 minutes left, but fell 2-1. One big reason for Iowa's defensive success has been defender Samantha Cary. (Francis Howell North) (SLSG). 

Sophomore Hallie Klanke (Lee's Summit West) (Futura Pink Panthers KC) regularly comes off of the bench for North Carolina her first two seasons. Plays a variety of positions. Played club soccer with SLU's Brionna Halverson. Helped UNC advance to Sweet 16 over Denver 2-0.

SIUE lost to UVA 3-1 Rd 64. They have a lot of local players similar to SLU.

Sweet 16 matchups:

 

Florida St. vs Penn St 

Duke vs Ole Miss.

 

Rice vs Virginia.

TCU vs Georgetown.

 

UCLA vs Clemson.

Arkansas vs Santa Clara.

 

Texas A&M vs Oklahoma St.

North Carolina vs Washington.

 

11 of the top 16 seeds advanced.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With BH announcing that she is returning  next year, that means we will be returning our entire starting lineup from the Wash. NCAA game.  Add Lawler and Cytron to that group, along with Larson, who couldn't play that game (I think that's correct) and we have an unbelievable top 14 with great depth on the bench, starting the next season.

Hopefully Lawler is good to go next season, which is only a few months from now.  I have to believe that any knowledgeable poll voters will start the Bills out in the top 15-20.  No other team could have more coming back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

If Larson blew out her knee, I am guessing she'd miss next season since it starts in 4-5 months?

I have not read or heard any specifics about HL's injury.  If she has to miss next season that would be a tremendous loss from an offensive standpoint, but fortunately we have the depth to pick up at least some of the slack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NCAA Sweet 16.

Duke gets a goal in the 3rd minute from Caitlin Cosme, and their defense makes it hold up in a 1-0 win over Ole Miss. (Duke is not a team you want to go down 1-0 in the 3rd minute.)

Oklahoma St. and Texas A&M played a wild one. 3-3 after regulation. Charmé Morgan gets her 2nd yellow card in OT, and Oklahoma St. had to play with 10 in OT  Eventually Texas A&M wins it deep into PK's. A&M finished with 38 shots in the game. (16 on goal)

Gabriella Coleman, whom SLU fans will remember as a handful power forward in the OSU attack, had two goals for OSU, her 3rd and 4th goals of the tourney. Olyvia Dowell who drew the eventual game winning PK for OSU vs SLU, scored her 8th goal in 9 games. But it wasn't enough. Some of the goal highlights.

https://twitter.com/CowgirlFC/status/1390001383017832448?s=19

https://twitter.com/CowgirlFC/status/1389992496474689540?s=19

https://twitter.com/CowgirlFC/status/1389979557986373632?s=19

https://twitter.com/AggieSoccer/status/1390002507917762560?s=19

https://twitter.com/AggieSoccer/status/1389987711063310340?s=19

https://twitter.com/AggieSoccer/status/1389987200796925960?s=19

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Final:

North Carolina 1 Washington 0

Washington gave UNC everything they could handle. And, they were the better first half team. Summer Yates, who did not play vs SLU, played for Washington. She missed a glorious chance in the 82nd minute to tie the game, hammering a shot inside the spot right at the UNC keeper. Anywhere else was 1-1. 

Organized, defend, pressure the ball in middle of field, and nothing inside the 18 on D for Washington. Washington gave up one goal or less in every game but one this season, including this one. And, they clearly frustrated UNC much of the game. 

UNC had wholesale substitutions midway through each half and eventually wore UW down a little bit, possessing wide moving forward. UNC was applying pressure more often in the 2nd half with some of its 2nd unit, and they earned a set piece corner with less than 25 minutes left. 5'10 Tori Hansen beats Kaylene Pang for the far post, top corner header, on a cross from cross from Hallie Klanke. (KC, Lee's Summit, Futura Pink Panthers)

From there Washington had a few chances but Yates' with the most dangerous one. UNC appeared to go down a player with 6 minutes left on a reckless late tackle in front of UW bench, but no card. It would have been a double yellow. Very good, competitive game. 

Top seed Florida St. dominated Penn St. and won 3-1 after falling behind. 32 shots for FSU.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Clemson vs UCLA

and

TCU vs Georgetown

 Both games had a 30 minute lightning delay at the start of PK’s. Wow. Georgetown was able to make one. No one else on the rest of the teams has attempted a PK yet.

Georgetown played TCU very well and les throughout until TCU found an equalizer late after some build up. Georgetown pressured well, forced turnovers, good speed, won a lot of 50/50 balls, countered. TCU is a possession team. Ramped up attack late. Uneventful OT. Well played game. ...

1-1.

https://twitter.com/tcusoccer/status/1390091265702760450?s=21

Clemson took the lead in the 53rd minute vs UCLA, and then they packed it in and played good D the rest of regulation. UCLA applied lots of pressure and had lots of possession. One touch small space combos, target forwards back to the goal outside the box. Very attractive play. They found the equalizer very late on a rebound. Corner, header off of the post. Uneventful OT.

1-1

https://twitter.com/uclawsoccer/status/1390094910523539458?s=21

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, courtside said:

Clemson vs UCLA

and

TCU vs Georgetown

 Both games had a 30 minute lightning delay at the start of PK’s. Wow. Georgetown was able to make one. No one else on the rest of the teams has attempted a PK yet.

Georgetown played TCU very well and les throughout until TCU found an equalizer late after some build up. Georgetown pressured well, forced turnovers, good speed, won a lot of 50/50 balls, countered. TCU is a possession team. Ramped up attack late. Uneventful OT. Well played game. ...

1-1.

https://twitter.com/tcusoccer/status/1390091265702760450?s=21

Clemson took the lead in the 53rd minute vs UCLA, and then they packed it in and played good D the rest of regulation. UCLA applied lots of pressure and had lots of possession. One touch small space combos, target forwards back to the goal outside the box. Very attractive play. They found the equalizer very late on a rebound. Corner, header off of the post. Uneventful OT.

1-1

https://twitter.com/uclawsoccer/status/1390094910523539458?s=21

 

Roughly an hour delay, just for PK’s.

Clemson shocks 3 seed UCLA 6-5 in PK’s.

TCU 3-1 over Georgetown in PK’s. Georgetown.

Tough losses for both UCLA and Georgetown.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, courtside said:

Final:

North Carolina 1 Washington 0

Washington gave UNC everything they could handle. And, they were the better first half team. Summer Yates, who did not play vs SLU, played for Washington. She missed a glorious chance in the 82nd minute to tie the game, hammering a shot inside the spot right at the UNC keeper. Anywhere else was 1-1. 

Organized, defend, pressure the ball in middle of field, and nothing inside the 18 on D for Washington. Washington gave up one goal or less in every game but one this season, including this one. And, they clearly frustrated UNC much of the game. 

UNC had wholesale substitutions midway through each half and eventually wore UW down a little bit, possessing wide moving forward. UNC was applying pressure more often in the 2nd half with some of its 2nd unit, and they earned a set piece corner with less than 25 minutes left. 5'10 Tori Hansen beats Kaylene Pang for the far post, top corner header, on a cross from cross from Hallie Klanke. (KC, Lee's Summit, Futura Pink Panthers)

From there Washington had a few chances but Yates' with the most dangerous one. UNC appeared to go down a player with 6 minutes left on a reckless late tackle in front of UW bench, but no card. It would have been a double yellow. Very good, competitive game. 

Top seed Florida St. dominated Penn St. and won 3-1 after falling behind. 32 shots for FSU.

 

 

 

2 minute game highlights including the game winner for UNC, and, the near equalizer for UW. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Santa Clara 2 Arkansas 0. Entertaining game, well played by Santa Clara. Arkansas opened well, high pressure On Santa Clara’s backs and it created turnovers and opportunites. But they couldn’t get a score. Once Santa Clara settled down, they withstood the pressure and created lots of open space in the middle of the field. And Santa Clara was the better team after that. Good defending, good possession, and build up. Got one before half time and one late to be the difference against a good, high scoring, Arkansas team. Arkansas pushed for an equalizer late. 

Julie Doyle had a great game for Santa Clara, and, she created both goals:

https://twitter.com/scuwomenssoccer/status/1390143621714874369?s=21

https://twitter.com/scuwomenssoccer/status/1390157959452413955?s=21

 

Virginia 3 Rice 0

Virginia dominated Rice in all phases to advance. 

 

Upcoming NCAA Quarterfinals:

1 Florida St. vs 9 Duke

Virginia vs 4 TCU

11 Santa Clara vs 14 Clemson

2 North Carolina vs 7 Texas A&M

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, courtside said:

Santa Clara 2 Arkansas 0. Entertaining game, well played by Santa Clara. Arkansas opened well, high pressure On Santa Clara’s backs and it created turnovers and opportunites. But they couldn’t get a score. Once Santa Clara settled down, they withstood the pressure and created lots of open space in the middle of the field. And Santa Clara was the better team after that. Good defending, good possession, and build up. Got one before half time and one late to be the difference against a good, high scoring, Arkansas team. Arkansas pushed for an equalizer late. 

Julie Doyle hadba great gamenfor Santa Clara, and, she created both goals:

https://twitter.com/scuwomenssoccer/status/1390143621714874369?s=21

https://twitter.com/scuwomenssoccer/status/1390157959452413955?s=21

 

Virginia 3 Rice 0

Virginia dominated Rice in all phases to advance. 

 

Upcoming NCAA Quarterfinals:

1 Florida St. vs 9 Duke

Virginia vs 4 TCU

11 Santa Clara vs 14 Clemson

2 North Carolina vs 7 Texas A&M

 

 

 

Thanks so much for the updates!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, gister said:

Thanks so much for the updates!

Sure.

I like to see how teams look that SLU played. So that would be Arkansas, Oklahoma St., Washington this year.

I also like to see different styles of play, matchups, players of interest, etc...

Florida St. is the best team. UCLA lost but they looked like one of the better teams. Texas A&M vs Oklahoma St. was the most fun game, etc...Arkansas possibly plays the most like SLU but Santa Clara adjusted well during the game. You can find something interesting or appealing about any team or game. Washington have UNC fits all game. But UNC found a way with an aerial specialist with size, from the back, on a corner, making a far post run. 

It’s interesting to see which teams get to establish their style of play, and what game prep and in game adjustments are made etc...

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First two NCAA Quarterfinals:

 

 

Beautiful 80 degree sunshine.

North Carolina 1 Texas A&M 0 Final.

Game highlights:

https://twitter.com/ncaasoccer/status/1391481999962030080?s=21

UNC was able to score just before half time on a turnover counter near midfield. TAMU was able to clear initially but was never able to get organized on the play. 

It was a pretty even first half prior to that. Eventually UNC moved its possession to the final third more often. TAMU had a few chances mostly first half including one 1v1 from wide left that was not in the game highlights. UNC was the better team today. It is their 31st Final Four. They are seeking their 22nd National Title. Their last National Title was 2012. They were runner up 2019 and 2018.

UNC kept possession, build from the back and got better as the game progressed. TAMU decided to not play a wide open game with UNC. Great season for TAMU.

Florida St. 0 Duke 0 Final 20T 4-3 Pk’s.

FSU advanced to their 11th College Cup Final Four. They are seeking their 3rd NCAA Title, winning previously in 2014 and 2018.

FSU controlled possession throughout, and built from the back. They were very patient. Duke is a very good, well organized defensive team in back. FSU was very patient, and went from possession mostly in their own 3rd in the first half to possession in the final 3rd in the 2nd half. 

FSU and UNC had few if any long balls in their games. 

One PK stop was the difference. FSU was a deserving winner. Great season for Duke. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Santa Clara 1 Clemson 0.

https://twitter.com/ncaasoccer/status/1391537328150228993?s=21

Santa Clara was able to get a mid first half goal on a forced turnover and completed numbers rush. They made it stand up despite Clemson provided plenty of pressure throughout the game, but they struggled in the final 3rd. Strong back line not giving anything inside the 18 until oater in the game for SCU. Clemson gave up a few middle of the field counters. 

Santa Clara advances to their 11th College Cup Final Four, and is seeking their 2nd National Title.

Virginia 1 TCU 0. 

Virginia advances to their 4th College Cup Final Four,!seeking their first national title. (2014 runner up) UVA took it too TCU early going at defenders. Mostly even first half but UVA the better team, and carried through to the 60th minute. Set piece corner, set up clinical UVA goal. (Sieracki from Godfrey) Slow start for TCU. Pressured later in game. 

https://twitter.com/uvawomensoccer/status/1391570460001939458?s=21

Almost equalizer in 65th minute:

https://twitter.com/tcusoccer/status/1391523076207255553?s=21 

 

College Cup Final Four:

1 Florida St. vs Virginia.

2 North Carolina vs 11 Santa Clara.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, courtside said:

Santa Clara 1 Clemson 0.

https://twitter.com/ncaasoccer/status/1391537328150228993?s=21

Santa Clara was able to get a mid first half goal on a forced turnover and completed numbers rush. They made it stand up despite Clemson provided plenty of pressure throughout the game, but they struggled in the final 3rd. Strong back line not giving anything inside the 18 until oater in the game for SCU. Clemson gave up a few middle of the field counters. 

Santa Clara advances to their 11th College Cup Final Four, and is seeking their 2nd National Title.

Virginia 1 TCU 0. 

Virginia advances to their 4th College Cup Final Four,!seeking their first national title. (2014 runner up) UVA took it too TCU early going at defenders. Mostly even first half but UVA the better team, and carried through to the 60th minute. Set piece corner, set up clinical UVA goal. (Sieracki from Godfrey) Slow start for TCU. Pressured later in game. 

https://twitter.com/uvawomensoccer/status/1391570460001939458?s=21

Almost equalizer in 65th minute:

https://twitter.com/tcusoccer/status/1391523076207255553?s=21 

 

College Cup Final Four:

1 Florida St. vs Virginia.

2 North Carolina vs 11 Santa Clara.

 

 

 

Virginia isn't ranked?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...