Jump to content

SLU Men's Soccer Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NCAA Men’s Sweet 16

Clemson vs Marshall

Penn St. vs Georgetown

Wake Forest vs Kentucky

North Carolina vs Stanford

Indiana vs Marquette

Virginia Tech vs Seton Hall

Washington vs Missouri St.

Central Florida vs Pittsburgh

 

Former SLU Head Coach Bob Warming became the first coach to take 4 different schools to the NCAA Tourney (Omaha) And, Omaha won its first ever NCAA Tourney game 3-2 over UNC Greensboro, before falling 1-0 to Stanford in the Round of 32.

Missouri St. defeated Maryland 2-1.

Winning close games matters. SLU lost to Marquette with 5 seconds left in OT this season.  Marquette has played nine OT games. They have gone 7-1-1 in those games.

All top 8 seeds remain. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Georgetown 3 Penn St. 2 Final.

Washington 2 Missouri St. 0 Final.

 

Georgetown has made 7 of the past 8 NCAA Sweet 16’s. They now advance to their 4th NCAA Quarterfinal in 9 seasons. They are the defending NCAA National Champions from 2019. Brian Wiese (14 seasons)has done a great job there.

Washington has made 5 of the past 8 NCAA Sweet 16’s under Jamie Clarke. (9 seasons) They now advance to their 3rd NCAA Quarterfinals in the past 8 seasons.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, courtside said:

Georgetown 3 Penn St. 2 Final.

Washington 2 Missouri St. 0 Final.

 

Georgetown has made 7 of the past 8 NCAA Sweet 16’s. They now advance to their 4th NCAA Quarterfinal in 9 seasons. They are the defending NCAA National Champions from 2019. Brian Wiese (14 seasons)has done a great job there.

Washington has made 5 of the past 8 NCAA Sweet 16’s under Jamie Clarke. (9 seasons) They now advance to their 3rd NCAA Quarterfinals in the past 8 seasons.

 

 

Pittsburgh 4 Central Florida 0. Final 

Game was as lopsided as the score from the opening minute.

Amazing job building the Pittsburgh program by Jay Vidovich. (former long time Wake Forest Head Coach.) 

Marshall 1 Clemson 1. Final. Marshall advances on PK's 7-6. First time NCAA Quarterfinals for Marshall.

Indiana comes from behind late to edge Marquette 2-1 in a spirited, chippy, physical game. IU plays four different players from St. Louis. (Five on the team)

https://twitter.com/marquettesoccer/status/1390442628580315136?s=19

https://twitter.com/IndianaMSOC/status/1390457319532728321?s=19

North Carolina 1 Stanford 0. Final.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

North Carolina 2 #5 Wake Forest 1.

North Carolina (a bit overlooked this season in the ACC) advances to their 9th Men’s College Cup Final Four. And, they are seeking their 3rd National Title. UNC gave up an early 10th minute goal, but was able to overcome the early deficit. 

https://twitter.com/uncmenssoccer/status/1391911241984090112?s=21

#3 Indiana 2  #6 Seton Hall 0.

Indiana advances to their 21st College Cup Final Four. And, they are seeking their 9th National Title.

https://twitter.com/indianamsoc/status/1391892182701858816?s=21

https://twitter.com/indianamsoc/status/1391896953638817792?s=21

Lightning delay near half time of both games, storms ensued. Indiana gets a big quick goal before half time at the re-start. Adds another in the 2nd half. Makes it stand up and finds a way. Shots were Seton Hall 14 Indiana 3.

 

NCAA College Cup Semifinals:

#2 Pittsburgh vs #3 Indiana

Marshall vs North Carolina

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, courtside said:

United Soccer Coaches All Region Teams:

Southeast Region:

2nd Team:

Kipp Keller

Christian Buendia

So, we are in the East Region for our women's team, but the Southeast Region for our men's team?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

So, we are in the East Region for our women's team, but the Southeast Region for our men's team?

Yes.

Men’s 8 Regions:

Atlantic, East, Far West, North, Northeast, South, Southeast, West. There are 3 leagues/conferences to each region. 

Women’s 8 Regions:

Atlantic, East, Midwest, North, Pacific, South, Southeast, West. There are 4 leagues/conferences to each region, except for the Pacific Region which only has 3.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sometimes the better team doesn’t win in soccer. And, that happened twice in the NCAA Tourney Semifinals. 

Marshall 1 North Carolina 0. 

Two defensive teams with a cautious approach, few first half chances either way but UNC a few more. Marshall finds a goal in 60th minute from Jamil Roberts, and UNC opened up and became more aggressive but couldn’t threaten much in the final 3rd. 

https://twitter.com/ncaasoccer/status/1393348393590734855?s=21

https://twitter.com/herdmsoccer/status/1393386882122371072?s=21

Some NCAA Tourney Marshall highlights:

https://twitter.com/herdzone/status/1393325350143332354?s=21

 

#3 Indiana  1   #2 Pittsburgh 0.

Pittsburgh started slow, almost cost themselves a goal on a miscue, then Pittsburgh controlled possession and chances most of the game. Pittsburgh is an aggressive attacking team, but couldn’t get the lead or equalizer. IU continues to find a way. 

https://twitter.com/ncaasoccer/status/1393373548669022216?s=21

https://twitter.com/ncaasoccer/status/1393377777353695234?s=21

https://twitter.com/ncaasoccer/status/1393387670546616321?s=21

But Indiana finds a goal in the 79th minute on a great individually effort from Herbert Endeley:

https://twitter.com/ncaasoccer/status/1393392923757121538?s=21

https://twitter.com/herbert_endeley/status/1393429849256218624?s=21

Marshall is playing for its 1st NCAA Men’s Soccer Championship. Indiana is playing for its 9th. (SLU has 10). 

The bulk of IU’s roster is from Chicago, Indiana, St. Louis, Ohio. (1 MN, 2 PA)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Live 40 miles east of Marshall University and just found out they are in the National Championship game.  All 3 of my kids graduated from Marshall.  Anyway, this is football and basketball country.  Soccer, an afterthought in high schools and youth programs around here.  All the best athletes play football here, not soccer.  Amazing that Marshall can get there and SLU can't.  

I graduated in the 1970's and was lucky enough to be at SLU for 3 National titles.  Now the school can't even dominate the weak A10.  Kind of sad.  Oh well ...... Go Marshall, go Herd!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Live 40 miles east of Marshall University and just found out they are in the National Championship game.  All 3 of my kids graduated from Marshall.  Anyway, this is football and basketball country.  Soccer, an afterthought in high schools and youth programs around here.  All the best athletes play football here, not soccer.  Amazing that Marshall can get there and SLU can't.  

I graduated in the 1970's and was lucky enough to be at SLU for 3 National titles.  Now the school can't even dominate the weak A10.  Kind of sad.  Oh well ...... Go Marshall, go Herd!

Marshall has had a lot of fan spport at its NCAA Tourney games. They have a massive roster in terms of quantity of players. They have 47 players on their roster. (They only play about 15.) 23 are International players from about 10-12 countries. The rest of their team comes mostly from their local region of PA/OH/WV. They also have a few from FL, GA, TX, CA.

All of their starters and bench are International players except one. The one is from Morgantown, WV. 

14 members of their team have had gpa’s of 3.75 or higher.

They have a First team All American player from Brazil. They have two other all region players, one from Toronto and one from Germany. 

Pittsburgh has been ranked number one much of the past two years. 

SLU has a player that was a Pitt transfer. Highly recruited, couldn’t get much playing time at Pitt. He started for SLU this past season.

Times change. It’s no longer the early 1970’s. 20 different schools have won a national title since SLU’s last national title. Several schools that were good then, are no longer soccer powers. 

SLU was a regular Sweet 16 team (or better) in 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and beginning of the 00’s. But over the past two decades, the program has had less success. 

Only 24 teams competed in the 1973 NCAA Men’s Soccer Tourney. 

Only 3 schools were from current Power 5 leagues in the 1970 NCAA Soccer Tourney. 3. That number went all the way to 4 in 1974. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, courtside said:

Marshall has had a lot of fan spport at its NCAA Tourney games. They have a massive roster in terms of quantity of players. They have 47 players on their roster. (They only play about 15.) 23 are International players from about 10-12 countries. The rest of their team comes mostly from their local region of PA/OH/WV. They also have a few from FL, GA, TX, CA.

All of their starters and bench are International players except one. The one is from Morgantown, WV. 

14 members of their team have had gpa’s of 3.75 or higher.

They have a First team All American player from Brazil. They have two other all region players, one from Toronto and one from Germany. 

Pittsburgh has been ranked number one much of the past two years. 

SLU has a player that was a Pitt transfer. Highly recruited, couldn’t get much playing time at Pitt. He started for SLU this past season.

Times change. It’s no longer the early 1970’s. 20 different schools have won a national title since SLU’s last national title. Several schools that were good then, are no longer soccer powers. 

SLU was a regular Sweet 16 team (or better) in 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and beginning of the 00’s. But over the past two decades, the program has had less success. 

Only 24 teams competed in the 1973 NCAA Men’s Soccer Tourney. 

Only 3 schools were from current Power 5 leagues in the 1970 NCAA Soccer Tourney. 3. That number went all the way to 4 in 1974. 

 

 

 

Thanks for the info.  Knew the stuff about SLU but had no idea what Marshall's roster looked like.  Very interesting.  Will be watching Marshall Monday.  Oh, and Marshall has many fans that travel for their teams, for every sport, but especially football.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Marshall Thundering Herd win their first NCAA Soccer National Title, 1-0, over Indiana, on a goal in the 98th minute just before the end of the first overtime.

 

The first half was end to end excitement with plenty of chances and near misses for both teams. 

Indiana came out with a high press, and Marshall handled it easily for the first 25 minutes. And Marshall pressured. But Indiana countered well with Herbert Endeley creating lots of problems for Marshall. 

Indiana changed tactics after halftime as their high press was not effective in the first half. So they picked  their spots. Marshall was able to control more possession and build from the back quickly. Marshall was better defensively in the 2nd half on the counters as they spent more time and players finding Endeley. 

Milo Yosef made a midfield run to the middle of the field in IU’s third. He hit a target pass to Vitor Dias at the top of the box. He turned, had his shot blocked, then fired a closer shot saved by Roman Celentano to his left off of the post. Jamil Roberts just beats Celentano to the loose ball to poke it  in the corner for the winner. 

IU nearly took the lead in the 21st minute on a free kick as St. Louisan Daniel Munie’s header went off the post on cross from Joe Schmidt. Munie later just missed another header just wide. 

In the 23rd minute Celentano made a great diving save on a good chance from Marshall. 

End to end first half was 0-0 but could have been at least 2-2 or more. IU was very good on counters and restarts. And Marshall came out attacking. Good tactical decision to move Endeley up top, where he doesn’t play as much. He was lots of trouble up there in the first half.

2nd half, Endeley drew a top of the box foul and Victor Bezerra hit a rocket that was saved by Marshall keeper Oliver Semmle. Rebound went to St. Louisan Joey Maher who just missed. Off sides flag was up. 

As IU was fatiguing in the 2nd half, Yeagley chose to drop back a bit instead of using more fresh but inexperienced legs off of the bench. He was content to give up possession as long as much of it was in the back half of the field. Marshall then applied more attacking pressure and almost scored in the 83rd minute.

Some game highlights:

 https://twitter.com/ncaasoccer/status/1394466937497870336?s=21

https://twitter.com/ncaasoccer/status/1394474097208352770?s=21

https://twitter.com/ncaasoccer/status/1394486334526574596?s=21

 

Very entertaining game. These are the types of games that IU often times, finds ways to win, but not last night. Marshall at times such as first half vs UNC, controls possession but isn’t at times super dangerous attacking. But when they both control possession and move forward and attack, they play like Pittsburgh. And they are very dangerous. And that is how they played last night. IU defends very well and they take advantage of restarts, counters etc..quickly. Fun contrast. 

Two players with local ties were very busy and very good for IU. (They have five St. Louis players, four play) Daniel Munie (Parkway North, St. Louis FC) and Joey Maher (Althoff, St. Louis FC). Very skilled, active, athletic defenders that can move forward and play at the other end too. 

IU remains at 8 National Titles. 

4th year Marshall Head Coach Chris Grassie built his team with International players from several countries. Prior to that he took University of Charleston WV to three D-2 Final Fours in six seasons. (They won two National titles just after he left, and his successor is the new West Virginia head coach.) And he also spent four seasons as an assistant at Michigan where they won the Big Ten and made the Final Four. 

Part of recruiting International players started out of necessity. And, International players don’t know and don’t care as much about D-1 D-2 etc. Some of the Marshall players playfully mentioned that they were America’s team. 

 

 

Gremio14 and Zink like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, courtside said:

The Marshall Thundering Herd win their first NCAA Soccer National Title, 1-0, over Indiana, on a goal in the 98th minute just before the end of the first overtime.

 

The first half was end to end excitement with plenty of chances and near misses for both teams. 

Indiana came out with a high press, and Marshall handled it easily for the first 25 minutes. And Marshall pressured. But Indiana countered well with Herbert Endeley creating lots of problems for Marshall. 

Indiana changed tactics after halftime as their high press was not effective in the first half. So they picked  their spots. Marshall was able to control more possession and build from the back quickly. Marshall was better defensively in the 2nd half on the counters as they spent more time and players finding Endeley. 

Milo Yosef made a midfield run to the middle of the field in IU’s third. He hit a target pass to Vitor Dias at the top of the box. He turned, had his shot blocked, then fired a closer shot saved by Roman Celentano to his left off of the post. Jamil Roberts just beats Celentano to the loose ball to poke it  in the corner for the winner. 

IU nearly took the lead in the 21st minute on a free kick as St. Louisan Daniel Munie’s header went off the post on cross from Joe Schmidt. Munie later just missed another header just wide. 

In the 23rd minute Celentano made a great diving save on a good chance from Marshall. 

End to end first half was 0-0 but could have been at least 2-2 or more. IU was very good on counters and restarts. And Marshall came out attacking. Good tactical decision to move Endeley up top, where he doesn’t play as much. He was lots of trouble up there in the first half.

2nd half, Endeley drew a top of the box foul and Victor Bezerra hit a rocket that was saved by Marshall keeper Oliver Semmle. Rebound went to St. Louisan Joey Maher who just missed. Off aides flag was up. 

As IU was fatiguing in the 2nd half, Yeagley chose to drop back a bit instead of using more fresh but inexperienced legs off if the bench. He was content to give uo possession as long as much of. was in the back half of the field. Marshall then applied more attacking pressure and almost scored in the 83rd minute.

Some game highlights:

 https://twitter.com/ncaasoccer/status/1394466937497870336?s=21

https://twitter.com/ncaasoccer/status/1394474097208352770?s=21

https://twitter.com/ncaasoccer/status/1394486334526574596?s=21

 

Very entertaining game. These are the types of games that IU often times, finds ways to win, but not last night. Marshall at times such as first half vs UNC, controls possession but isn’t at times super dangerous attacking. But when they both control possession and move forward and attack, they play like Pittsburgh. And they are very dangerous. And that is how they played last night. IU defends very well and they take advantage of restarts, counters etc..quickly. Fun contrast. 

Two players with local ties were very busy and very good for IU. (They have five St. Louis players, four play) Daniel Munie (Parkway North, St. Louis FC) and Joey Maher (Althoff, St. Louis FC). Very skilled, active, athletic defenders that can move forward and play at the other end too. 

IU remains at 8 National Titles. 

4th year Marshall Head Coach Chris Grassie built his team with International players from several countries. Prior to that he took University of Charleston WV to three D-2 Final Fours in six seasons. (They won two National titles just after he left, and his successor is the new West Virginia head coach.) And he also spent four seasons as an assistant at Michigan where they won the Big Ten and made the Final Four. 

Part of recruiting International players started out of necessity. And, International players don’t know and don’t care as much about D-1 D-2 etc. Some of the Marshall players playfully mentioned that they were America’s team. 

 

 

Thanks for all the updates for both the men's and women's tourneys. 

courtside likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Thanks for all the updates for both the men's and women's tourneys. 

You’re welcome. I think there’s value to see what other successful teams are doing and not doing. Style of play, development, recruiting, strategy,  adjustments, etc...and where and how does SLU fit into the picture in order to be more successful. 

 

slufanskip and majerus mojo like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

U23 U.S.League 2 SLSG has several Billikens on the roster, along with players from some other Universities, and, a few high school players. 

2-1 win over Wichita night. SLU fans will recognize the Patrick Schulte’s efforts in goal, and the work of John Klein. Jack Lynn (Notre Dame) and SLU’s John Klein with the goals for SLSG. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

High School Boys All American Game:

East vs West.

Top Drawer Soccer Boys Best Eleven:

2021 MF Seth Anderson (Quincy Notre Dame, SLSG) Saint Louis University Commit. 

Also receiving recognition:

D/MF Max Floriani (Warren Township, Libertyville) Saint Louis University Commit.

Floriani was recently named the IHSSCA Illinois State Player of the Year this Spring.

Anderson can play a variety of positions, up top, attacking midfield, but also defense if he had to do so. very skilled on the ball. Has mostly played up top or attacking midfield. (He also has a good younger brother who is a 2023 player)

Floriani takes up a lot of space in the central midfield, will likely play defensive midfield or backline quarterbacking. 

(Floriani is from suburban Chicago. Anderson is from Quincy.)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll add this here as I don't want to start a new soccer thread. 

Honduras was an embarrassment to the sport last night. Soccer has to do something about players going down when barely touched or often not touched at all. 

At times Reyna, McKennie, and Pulisic were dynamic on the ball. I'm not sure I understand why Musah did not get in the game. I want to see those 4 together. Josh has got to finish better if he wants to be the man. I watch him play and feel he has the ability, just can't find the net and as a 9 that's really what counts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I'll add this here as I don't want to start a new soccer thread. 

Honduras was an embarrassment to the sport last night. Soccer has to do something about players going down when barely touched or often not touched at all. 

At times Reyna, McKennie, and Pulisic were dynamic on the ball. I'm not sure I understand why Musah did not get in the game. I want to see those 4 together. Josh has got to finish better if he wants to be the man. I watch him play and feel he has the ability, just can't find the net and as a 9 that's really what counts

Well stated regarding Musah and Sargent. Musah needs to play for us to achieve our short-term and long-term potential. As an aside, his story is really interesting. Here is an article from The Athletic (paywall) for those interested: https://theathletic.com/2631137/2021/06/03/yunus-musah-usmnt-valencia-arsenal/

I wonder about the long-term viability of Sargent as the national team's starting striker. He is an interesting case where his value could sky-rocket if he starts finding the back of the net. Until then, he is a #9 without consistent goal scoring. Not a good recipe for success at any level.

With the busy international schedule over the next year, it might make sense to have an OT thread for U.S. soccer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Well stated regarding Musah and Sargent. Musah needs to play for us to achieve our short-term and long-term potential. As an aside, his story is really interesting. Here is an article from The Athletic (paywall) for those interested: https://theathletic.com/2631137/2021/06/03/yunus-musah-usmnt-valencia-arsenal/

I wonder about the long-term viability of Sargent as the national team's starting striker. He is an interesting case where his value could sky-rocket if he starts finding the back of the net. Until then, he is a #9 without consistent goal scoring. Not a good recipe for success at any level.

With the busy international schedule over the next year, it might make sense to have an OT thread for U.S. soccer.

Also with Musah my understanding is that this match would have tied him to the US.  I'm sure his commitment is good but if what I understand is true you get him on the field and cement it. Not only that we just don't get to see Him, Reyna, Pulisic, and McKennie all together very often. Imo the more time they spend together the better

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • SluSignGuy changed the title to SLU Men's Soccer Thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...