Jump to content

The House That Rick Built Podcast


Recommended Posts

Dropped Earl early on accident, but it's out now. Go check out our interview with Earl Austin Jr. covered his career, talked Bob and Billikens hoops, plus more. Don't forget to subscribe and drop the show a rating we really appreciate the help. Thanks for following.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, Heinrich lived in West Pine locker room for 3 months.   That was a fun to do. Thank you for having me and I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. Happy to clean up any details I might have missed on. 

Funny that he was the third  in points, second in minutes, second in assists and first in rebounds on a second round NIT team in CUSA that was the best team Soderberg had. That team was pretty much th

I also seem to remember registration for classes at West Pine Gym. 2 more stories:  When I was a freshman at SLU in '78-'79, word leaked into Griesedieck Hall that DeSmet, then coached by Rich Gr

Posted Images

New episode out with @Pistol and Carter Chapley. Talked about SLUs newest commitments, broke down the 2019-2020 season, and did an all time team - in a perfect world if you could make a starting five of former Billikens players, what would that look like for you. Also included sixth men as well.  Let us know who you would put in your all time team.

 
 
 
 
Don’t forget to check out the Billiken Vault games @billikenfan05 put up on YouTube.
Link to post
Share on other sites

h waldman point guard

larry hughes wing

erwin claggett wing

Anthony Bonner power forward

Ed Macauley center

playing subs, goodwin, french, love

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

h waldman point guard

larry hughes wing

erwin claggett wing

Anthony Bonner power forward

Ed Macauley center

playing subs, goodwin, french, love

 

 

Personally feels like the three you might almost have to have on there is Larry, Ed, and Claggett. Bonner is a strong case I love Rob Loe though and such a versatile player. Justin Love was a name I totally forgot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The House That Rick Built said:

Personally feels like the three you might almost have to have on there is Larry, Ed, and Claggett. Bonner is a strong case I love Rob Loe though and such a versatile player. Justin Love was a name I totally forgot.

Not saying the 8 i mention are the best 8 but it would be my best "team" filling positions .  

No way loe compares to Bonner 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Not saying the 8 i mention are the best 8 but it would be my best "team" filling positions .  

No way loe compares to Bonner 

Probably not but it’s fun to be a little different. Also just watched the Butler/SLU match up and seeing him drop a hook, mid range jumper and two threes early in that game reminded me of his versatility, something I think I overlooked when he was playing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there are three no-brainers in an all-time starting five - McCauley, Bonner, Claggett - and any other slots are up for debate. An exercise like this brings into focus how hard it is to create all-time teams when there are such stark differences between eras. For example, the four retired jerseys are for our four All-Americans - but two of them don't get a whole lot of mention anymore, Dick Boushka and Bob Ferry. It's clear that Easy Ed was the first major star of this program and his legacy as a college and pro player is undeniable, but I have no idea how those guys stack up in their era let alone compared to this one. Players from that era tend to show up more in the record books in terms of averages and not totals - they played fewer games and played more strictly defined roles.

Anyway, who else did we include? Download to find out!

I strongly recommend listening to this episode. Everyone put a lot of effort into it and we cover a lot of subjects.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, The House That Rick Built said:

Probably not but it’s fun to be a little different. Also just watched the Butler/SLU match up and seeing him drop a hook, mid range jumper and two threes early in that game reminded me of his versatility, something I think I overlooked when he was playing. 

Rob and Dwayne were the perfect combination. Robs passing, shooting and skill level allowed us to space the floor and isolate Dwayne against guys who couldn’t guard him in the post. It was fun to watch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NH said:

Rob and Dwayne were the perfect combination. Robs passing, shooting and skill level allowed us to space the floor and isolate Dwayne against guys who couldn’t guard him in the post. It was fun to watch.

We lived by the Rob screen at the top of the key in the Butler game (likely others just don’t want to over state what I don’t actually know) which was absolutely deadly because it’s either pick and roll, or more often times pick and pop. You never know what’s coming and both can kill you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The House That Rick Built said:

We lived by the Rob screen at the top of the key in the Butler game (likely others just don’t want to over state what I don’t actually know) which was absolutely deadly because it’s either pick and roll, or more often times pick and pop. You never know what’s coming and both can kill you.

That's all well and good, but Anthony Bonner is the school's leading scorer and rebounder and is way up the list in steals.  He led the nation in rebounding as a senior.

I don't see how he isn't an automatic choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

That's all well and good, but Anthony Bonner is the school's leading scorer and rebounder and is way up the list in steals.  He led the nation in rebounding as a senior.

I don't see how he isn't an automatic choice.

totally agree. We'd still be laughing if Bonner faced a Loe type back in the day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

That's all well and good, but Anthony Bonner is the school's leading scorer and rebounder and is way up the list in steals.  He led the nation in rebounding as a senior.

I don't see how he isn't an automatic choice.

I was just commenting on Loe, not arguing for him over Bonner.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally caught up on the Earl, Welmer and Raboin interviews. They were all strong and well-done, though you could tell Welmer probably cared less about some of those games when he was injured than we did haha. Raboin was a really good sport walking through the last two years. Earl was as classy as usual. Whatever the basketball gods did to curse us with Guy Phillips, they more than made up for it by gifting us Rammer and Earl.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Just listened to the Earl interview. Loved it. Earl lived up to his nickname as the awesome one.

Appreciate all the feedback on our recent interviews. Hopefully you guys check those out, if you haven’t yet go check our page and don’t forget to drop us a rate. Shameless plugs. Thank you again to everyone that is listening. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I listened and loved the season ending show, followed with the top 5 +1 Billikens of all time.
I generally agree with Pistol's list with the exception of one player. I have to take issue with is Jordair Jett.  I loved him as a Billiken and he was a force on the floor and could drive with power to the basket, however.... 
He did not shoot well enough to be on this list, especially for a guard, 25% 3 point shooter and 61 percent for the line.
Somebody else had Highmark on the their list, he was not much of a defender, not very athletic and basically just a good spot up 3 point shooter with 38% and 77 from the line

I would nominate H Waldman, a great passer and we have not had anyone close until Yuri arrived.  And H hit 42% of his 3s and 77% from the line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I listened and loved the season ending show, followed with the top 5 +1 Billikens of all time.
I generally agree with Pistol's list with the exception of one player. I have to take issue with is Jordair Jett.  I loved him as a Billiken and he was a force on the floor and could drive with power to the basket, however.... 
He did not shoot well enough to be on this list, especially for a guard, 25% 3 point shooter and 61 percent for the line.
Somebody else had Highmark on the their list, he was not much of a defender, not very athletic and basically just a good spot up 3 point shooter with 38% and 77 from the line

I would nominate H Waldman, a great passer and we have not had anyone close until Yuri arrived.  And H hit 42% of his 3s and 77% from the line.

While I totally get where you're coming from, I've been watching a ton of replays recently from 2012-2014, as well as 2017-2020 (please ignore that dead spot in the middle) and I honestly think Jett may be the best Billiken of my lifetime, which is basically since Marque Perry. Even though his numbers were never gaudy, he truly controlled the pace of every game. Though he didn't shoot well from 3 he was still a pretty efficient scorer, and even with defenders sagging of him they still couldn't stop him from getting to the basket. He was a monster defensively and was a very good passer. He was probably the second best player on a top 15 team (2012-2013) and was the best player on a top 30 team (2013-2014). I always loved Jordair, but I think I still somehow slightly underrated him at the time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, NH said:

While I totally get where you're coming from, I've been watching a ton of replays recently from 2012-2014, as well as 2017-2020 (please ignore that dead spot in the middle) and I honestly think Jett may be the best Billiken of my lifetime, which is basically since Marque Perry. Even though his numbers were never gaudy, he truly controlled the pace of every game. Though he didn't shoot well from 3 he was still a pretty efficient scorer, and even with defenders sagging of him they still couldn't stop him from getting to the basket. He was a monster defensively and was a very good passer. He was probably the second best player on a top 15 team (2012-2013) and was the best player on a top 30 team (2013-2014). I always loved Jordair, but I think I still somehow slightly underrated him at the time. 

Jett would not have had the success scoring the last few years, that he had when he played.  At that time, we had bigs who stretched the floor and opened up driving lanes, and Jett took full advantage of it.  The team was designed to give guards the opportunity to drive to the basket, by using bigs who would hit outside shots to pull defenders away from the basket.  Jett would have struggled against the packed zones that we have face the last couple of years.  I don't want to take away form the things that he did well, but top 6 of all time, in my view should be players that didn't have a significant short coming in their game. 
I still remember cringing when Jett would get fouled at the end of a game that we were trying to close out.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Jett would not have had the success scoring the last few years, that he had when he played.  At that time, we had bigs who stretched the floor and opened up driving lanes, and Jett took full advantage of it.  The team was designed to give guards the opportunity to drive to the basket, by using bigs who would hit outside shots to pull defenders away from the basket.  Jett would have struggled against the packed zones that we have face the last couple of years.  I don't want to take away form the things that he did well, but top 6 of all time, in my view should be players that didn't have a significant short coming in their game. 
I still remember cringing when Jett would get fouled at the end of a game that we were trying to close out.  

Just finished watching Jett score repeatedly against an NC State zone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aquinas said:

I listened and loved the season ending show, followed with the top 5 +1 Billikens of all time.
I generally agree with Pistol's list with the exception of one player. I have to take issue with is Jordair Jett.  I loved him as a Billiken and he was a force on the floor and could drive with power to the basket, however.... 
He did not shoot well enough to be on this list, especially for a guard, 25% 3 point shooter and 61 percent for the line.
Somebody else had Highmark on the their list, he was not much of a defender, not very athletic and basically just a good spot up 3 point shooter with 38% and 77 from the line

I would nominate H Waldman, a great passer and we have not had anyone close until Yuri arrived.  And H hit 42% of his 3s and 77% from the line.

I basically had a solid top 5 and then 12 guys to choose from for my sixth man: Jett, Douglass, Highmark, Perry, Fisher, Lisch, Liddell, Mitchell, Evans, Bess, Goodwin, French. I think you could make a case for any of them.

No one mentioned our other two retired numbers, Boushka and Ferry, but Easy Ed is really the only one from before the modern era that I wanted to include. I just have no frame of reference for those other guys; yes, they were named All-Americans (not necessarily first team) at some point, but outside of that, I just wasn't sure how else to build a case for them. I figured including Easy Ed was enough of a nod to the pre-1980s.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...