SLU Has Best Fundraising Year in History

43 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Technically, other than BOHICA, none of the sets of initials you used in your post is an acronym.

Kindly explain why not please? What technical issue is missing?

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

USN? 

My bad, USS

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Acronym 

Buff -- Big ugly fat f-----er    (B52)

Sluf -- Short little ugly f----er   (A7)

Not an acronym 

CF 

WTF

USN

Curious as to why it wouldn't be considered an acronym? This link thinks it would be

https://www.acronymfinder.com/Index-USF.html

22 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Wow I always say A. S. C. 2 Code.  I must be the least hip computer literate guy on the planet.  Is it pronounced "assy-two?"

(Assuming you aren't joking around:) "American Standard Code for Information Interchange."  Those are two of the letter I, not the Roman numeral 2.  It's pronounced "AS-key."

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Curious as to why it wouldn't be considered an acronym? This link thinks it would be

https://www.acronymfinder.com/Index-USF.html

Many people don't differentiate between an acronym and initialism.  However, it's really only and acronym if the letters are made into a word — SWINE (Students Wildly Indignant about Nearly Everything).  But if it's a series of letters spelled out, it's not an acronym — NCAA.

46 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Many people don't differentiate between an acronym and initialism.  However, it's really only and acronym if the letters are made into a word — SWINE (Students Wildly Indignant about Nearly Everything).  But if it's a series of letters spelled out, it's not an acronym — NCAA.

So would POTUS be an acronym?  I read the posts above late. So I'm understanding the initials don't have to actually form a word, you just need to be able to pronounce them. 

So USN … No

BMW .. yes (pronounced Big Money Waster)

How about ESPN? I hear it pronounced espin sometimes. That seems to be one that treads the line

59 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

(Assuming you aren't joking around:) "American Standard Code for Information Interchange."  Those are two of the letter I, not the Roman numeral 2.  It's pronounced "AS-key."

Maybe not a computer literate as I thought......more of a hardware guy I guess.....

29 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

So would POTUS be an acronym?  I read the posts above late. So I'm understanding the initials don't have to actually form a word, you just need to be able to pronounce them. 

So USN … No

BMW .. yes (pronounced Big Money Waster)

How about ESPN? I hear it pronounced espin sometimes. That seems to be one that treads the line

Yeah you're correct. POTUS is an acronym because people pronounce it "poh-tuss". I would say ESPN is an initialism, not an acronym, because I've only ever heard people say the letters. If the majority called it "espin" then it would be an acronym.

slufanskip likes this

8 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

Yeah you're correct. POTUS is an acronym because people pronounce it "poh-tuss". I would say ESPN is an initialism, not an acronym, because I've only ever heard people say the letters. If the majority called it "espin" then it would be an acronym.

Thx for the explanation. It does seem however though that what might be an initialism to one person might be an acronym to another using ESPN as an example. For sure most people say ESPN but I've heard it pronounced espin, not very often but not really rare either. In fact I've done it. Also USAF is occaisionally pronounced yousayf though the majority of people probably sound out the initials. 

A little Skipschooling on Billikens.com is a good thing

22 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Thx for the explanation. It does seem however though that what might be an initialism to one person might be an acronym to another using ESPN as an example. For sure most people say ESPN but I've heard it pronounced espin, not very often but not really rare either. In fact I've done it. Also USAF is occaisionally pronounced yousayf though the majority of people probably sound out the initials. 

A little Skipschooling on Billikens.com is a good thing

I mean, it's all semantics and doesn't really matter at all. I just brought it up to make fun of BRoy's initial crusade

So, you have provided a way to differentiate between initialism and acronyms. Fine, all is well. Let me expand my prior post a bit:  Initialisms and acronyms are a lot of fun. I hope everyone is happy with extending the "fun" concept to initialisms, T I T (this is true) as far as I am concerned.

If you perceive life as a source of constant angst and strife you cannot enjoy it. Have a little fun here and there. All the best guys.

On 8/9/2018 at 10:31 AM, GBL_Bills said:

I don't want to re-hash Sit 2 here, but a few scenarios that could help explain the fundraising.

1. Majority of the SLU donors don't care about the basketball team all that much and weren't even following Sit 2. This is supported by the newslink article quote stating that most of the donations went straight to academic programs, scholarships, etc.
  2. SLU donors supported the university's handling of Sit 2, and Sit 2 didn't negatively affect their desire to donate.
  3. Or, the fundraising isn't all that impressive outside of Chaifetz's $27 million, and nothing really has changed whatsoever in terms of donors. Just a higher blip in the normal noise of donations.

Chaifetz donationthis year was 15 million.  The 27 million is the combined total, he has given in big chunks.  It is a good number regardless of how we view Sit 2.