What could have been?

Honestly, even if there were no suspensions, I think we would still have 4 losses.  3 have been blowouts and 1, at 14 points, is hard to peg as a likely win.  So, this whole thing has really only cost SLU 1 win.  Not a huge deal so far.  Though, the blowouts have been hard on our pride.

One thing I would like to see over the next 3-4 games is for J. Johnson to take over the spot as having shot the 2nd most 3 pointers.  It is a telling stat for the team. The players that have shot the most go in this order: Roby, Hines, Goodwin, then Johnson.  I know it is harder to get shots for the bigs, but It is not that hard.  Two guys that are shooting under .250 from three can afford to move, with or without the ball, and get Johnson open.

Also, I would like to see French’s shots per game increase.  He shoots near .500.  Goodwin on the other hand shoots around .300.  Goodwin takes the most shots and has taken nearly twice as many shots as French.  He is the point guard, maybe he should think about feeding French more.

This team is actually pretty good, with or without suspensions.  The only problem they have is shooting percentage.  I think the coaches need to configure the shooting around the guys most likely to actually make the shots.

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Honestly, even if there were no suspensions, I think we would still have 4 losses.  3 have been blowouts and 1, at 14 points, is hard to peg as a likely win.  So, this whole thing has really only cost SLU 1 win.  Not a huge deal so far.  Though, the blowouts have been hard on our pride.

Completely disagree.

17 minutes ago, wgstl said:

100% disagree.  We easily beat Detroit and wmu with everyone. And we barely lose to Houston.

I'm buying your scenario also 3 losses remain and 1 loss is flipped.  However, I look at it as agreeing 75% with AnkielBreakers, losses to Houston, Butler, and Providence, and 25% disagree with AB, win versus Western Michigan.  It's all how you look at the glass.

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm buying your scenario also 3 losses remain and 1 loss is flipped.  However, I look at it as agreeing 75% with AnkielBreakers, losses to Houston, Butler, and Providence, and 25% disagree with AB, win versus Western Michigan.  It's all how you look at the glass.

Granted i completely forgot about Butler

2 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

One thing I would like to see over the next 3-4 games is for J. Johnson to take over the spot as having shot the 2nd most 3 pointers.  It is a telling stat for the team. The players that have shot the most go in this order: Roby, Hines, Goodwin, then Johnson.  I know it is harder to get shots for the bigs, but It is not that hard.  Two guys that are shooting under .250 from three can afford to move, with or without the ball, and get Johnson open.

Also, I would like to see French’s shots per game increase.  He shoots near .500.  Goodwin on the other hand shoots around .300.  Goodwin takes the most shots and has taken nearly twice as many shots as French.  He is the point guard, maybe he should think about feeding French more.

This team is actually pretty good, with or without suspensions.  The only problem they have is shooting percentage.  I think the coaches need to configure the shooting around the guys most likely to actually make the shots.

The only problem is our shooting percentage?????

So basically you are saying we are terrible. I agree.

Shooting percentage is the single most important facet. You dont have to shoot like the Golden State Warriors, but you cannot shoot like our Billikens. You will not best anybody.. except the huckster barbeque sauce guy.

Oh and by this im not arguing against the defend, rebound mantra. What i am saying is that 20% shooting is guaranteed to lose. Remember that GW game?

We only gave up 40 points or so that game.

The missing 2 players may have helped with our shooting % but we are having trouble rebounding as well.  Their missing only highlights the weakness on this current team.  Are we better than last year from a talent standpoint - yes but that is like saying you are the best figure skater in all of Ecuador as Major Charles Emerson Winchester would say.  We are depending on a freshman big man to be our shot blocker and rebounder - he actually does fine but he is one man and as all freshmen big men have to learn - how to stay out of foul trouble.  Foreman has been not much of an upgrade and Roby is inconsistent.  Goodwin has not shot well so until he figures that out he will be limited to what he brings to the table this year.  Bess - he seems to get all his points after the game is out of our reach.  Johnson has been himself mostly - last game he got distracted by the fouls being called.  I am sure with the 2 missing players - Graves was not going to be available 1st semester anyway - we would have beat Detroit and probably avoided the blowouts but we would not have won all those games either.  At this point, we have over estimated this group for now at least.

13 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

13 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

The missing 2 players may have helped with our shooting % but we are having trouble rebounding as well.  

This missing players are the reason for both the issues brought up. 

We don't have enough perimeter shooters to space the floor properly to effectively run the offense.  The lack of spacing forces Goodwin and others to take what are for them bad shots.  It, also, makes it much harder to work the ball inside to French as the opponent packs the lane with defenders.  Defenders are not going to follow Goodwin and others on the perimeter because they don't expect their ability to shoot from there.  They will stick with Johnson and pack the lane.

When you have a bench as short as SLU, you can't rebound or defend aggressively because you are always worried about foul trouble.

I'd give us the Mercy and WM games if everyone was playing. Houston maybe a tossup. I don't expect we'd have been blown out of any game, save for Providence. The short bench, especially when there's an injury or foul trouble is killing us. A really healthy Wellmer would help here. And, of course, our lack of any consistent shooting from outside ain't helping matters. 6-3 would get my vote for what might have been w/ 7-2 a possible. Back in the real world, we should be 5-4. Never should have lost the DM game. By the way we're in hell in the most recent Papal Poll.