ticket prices

Cowboy

-with a higher paid coaching staff on both bball teams and taking into account the men's two bad seasons, I wonder if the U will be raising ticket prices?

-if there are 5000 season tickets sold with 18 home games it takes an increase of $5 per game to get an extra $450,000 for the U, just to put some numbers out there

-with a higher paid coaching staff on both bball teams and taking into account the men's two bad seasons, I wonder if the U will be raising ticket prices?

-if there are 5000 season tickets sold with 18 home games it takes an increase of $5 per game to get an extra $450,000 for the U, just to put some numbers out there

Ticket prices are too high already. I doubt there is much room to increase them.

No chance they raise ticket prices.

And why do you believe the coaching staff is higher paid? If the rumors about ok state having to pay ford his old salary only to be offset by his salary at the new school are vaguely correct, SLU would be incentivized to pay him as little as possible.

I thought ok state was paying the lion's share of ford's pay?

From what I've heard they are. I bet the contract calls for heavy incentives though.

Why do think that? He just got fired from a last place team. Why would we have to do that?

Since we already don't have to pay much, we have some money to play with. I love incentives over guaranteed money. Makes the coach work even harder.

Ford wouldn't make anymore money off incentives. They would only reduce the payments for OK St.

Ford's contract would be very interesting. Oklahoma St is only on the hook for the first two or three years of Ford's new deal so I doubt SLU will be paying assistants significantly more than usual since it would be hard to pay them 2-3 years from now

In regards to incentives they could be during the phase of the contract that Ok State is not covering. Or perhaps a performance clause in the first couple years that will result in a payout once the Ok State money is through. It would be very interesting to see the breakdown of the contract, but as others have mentioned I would bet the financial commitment is low now so that we can have the best staff possible which we have the budget to do so.

I would bet Ford's contract is around $1 million or less per year with a low buyout on the Ford side after the third season. That would give SLU incentive to offer an extension at a dramatically increased price if he has the program headed in the right direction as the Okie St payments end. That would leave money to upgrade the assistants pay if Chaifetz is really putting more money into the program for the next three seasons.

It's hard to believe that OK State wouldn't have had some protections in their contract with Ford to prevent a school from paying $1 and calling that his salary. Something along the line of the new school having to pay him the average of all teams within the conference or having to pay 75% of what they paid the previous coach. Who knows, but it's hard to believe that even with T Boone Pickens money they'd be dumb enough to let him coach elsewhere and still pay all of his salary.

However, to the extent SLU is receiving a significant offset in salary it seems like as long as they do some rainy day savings of the benefits it could lead to a significant benefit. For example, if the annual coaching budget is $1.5mm, to be split $1mm for head coach and $500k for the assistants, they could do the following (the numbers are clearly illustrative and could be split any number of ways):

Ford: $100k for first 3 years, $1.2mm for next 3 years

Assistants: $800k for all 6 years.

SLU pays $900k for the first 3 years and $2mm for the last 3, a net savings of $300k.

Ford receives $600k more than we would have otherwise paid him.

Assistants receive $1.8mm more than we would have otherwise paid them.

The $2.7mm that has been spread out is the benefit of paying Ford $100k per year for 3 years instead of the $1mm we otherwise budgeted.

It's hard to believe that OK State wouldn't have had some protections in their contract with Ford to prevent a school from paying $1 and calling that his salary. Something along the line of the new school having to pay him the average of all teams within the conference or having to pay 75% of what they paid the previous coach. Who knows, but it's hard to believe that even with T Boone Pickens money they'd be dumb enough to let him coach elsewhere and still pay all of his salary.

However, to the extent SLU is receiving a significant offset in salary it seems like as long as they do some rainy day savings of the benefits it could lead to a significant benefit. For example, if the annual coaching budget is $1.5mm, to be split $1mm for head coach and $500k for the assistants, they could do the following (the numbers are clearly illustrative and could be split any number of ways):

Ford: $100k for first 3 years, $1.2mm for next 3 years

Assistants: $800k for all 6 years.

SLU pays $900k for the first 3 years and $2mm for the last 3, a net savings of $300k.

Ford receives $600k more than we would have otherwise paid him.

Assistants receive $1.8mm more than we would have otherwise paid them.

The $2.7mm that has been spread out is the benefit of paying Ford $100k per year for 3 years instead of the $1mm we otherwise budgeted.

I would think OK St only pays an offset for the per year average of the contract. That way it prevents it from being back loaded.