George Mason Post Game Press Conference

All four of the seniors improved from their sophomore years to their senior years. Especially Loe and Jett. Coaching had something to do with that.

After those four Rick did leave him nothing for last year, Ricks last two recruiting classes were bad.

Crews was not named coach until after his interm year. He was not able to sign anyone in the early signing period so he was lucky toget what he did . Ash and Lancona had offers from other major schools and Reggie was a project because of his lack playing experience.

Do I think Crews is the coach Rick was ? No. Not close but who is.

Sam.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt based upon your limited number of posts. Possibly Billiken basketball is something new for you. I don't know.

Again, if you want to write a post saying that Jim Crews deserves credit for taking RM's players and keeping them at SLU, for developing them (Jordair was no where close to A10 player of the year when RM stepped down at HC), for winning the A10 and winning an NCAA Tourney game two (2) years in a row, then we are in agreement.. If, on the other hand, you are interested in making excuses for Jim Crews (such as that RM did not leave him much) then I disagree with you.

As to RM's last two (2) years of recruits, yes, I agree that they were not good. At the same time, JM and GG were a small class (only 2 kids) and JIm Crews could easily have sent one or both packing. RM sent 5 packing his first year, why did Crews not send a single player packing? As to the next class, Keith Carter started for SLU/Jim Crews but left SLU after not wanting to play for Jim Crews. By all accounts, Carter wanted to play for RM but did not want to play for Crews. Therefore, don't blame RM for Carter. And you are also forgetting about Austin McBroom. While not one of my favorite players, the guy can flat out shoot the basketball and can dribble the ball (see the games against VCU's pressure). Is McBroom capable of being our PG and playing 30 minutes per game? No, but he is another weapon that RM would have used.

In addition, rosters are set at 13 players and team really only need 8 good players to win. A few mistakes are certainly allowed and most teams have these players. Crews has certainly had his share of poor recruits.

Finally, I believe your time frame is inaccurate. First of all, Jim Crews was our assistant coach and entire year here at SLU under RM and therefore had already been involve with recruiting efforts before RM stepped down. Second, Jim Crews was interim head coach that whole year and contrary to your statement he did recruit/sign Mike Crawford in the Fall signing period. Third, I would suggest to you that recruiting would have been much easier for Jim Crews in the Spring after being appointed permanent head coach than in the prior Fall when appointed interim head coach because Jim Crews got to show and prove to everyone that he could still coach, show that he had success (A10 conference and tourney champs) and that they won a game in the NCAA Tourney and could show all these recruits his National Coach of the Year Award. With all that clout and momentum, Jim Crews signed Reggie and Tanner and got Ash to transfer -- how disappointing!!

Think about it. Had Crews been able to get production out of his 3 Sophs, his 'Nova transfer and been able to use Manning and McBroom in limited roles, we would not have had to rely on the Frosh. Instead, the Frosh would get minutes after earning it: by playing tough defense, by rebounding, by setting/using screens, etc. Instead, our upperclassmen have been worse than our Frosh and then people wonder why the Frosh are not catching on better.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the problems is 3pt defense, no one our team plays it or the staff does not stress it. Anytime the defense drives and kicks out it seems like the guy in the corner is always set and open.

3pt fg defense

2006-07 36.2% 237th Soderberg last year

2007-08 32.8% 118th Majerus 1st year

2008-09 27.5% 18th

2009-10 24.2% 5th

2010-11 22.0% 1st

2011-12 25.6% 9th

2012-13 26.5% 19th Crews 1st year

2013-14 25.6% 7th

2014-15 33.2% 144th/351

One of the problems is 3pt defense, no one our team plays it or the staff does not stress it. Anytime the defense drives and kicks out it seems like the guy in the corner is always set and open.

3pt fg defense

2006-07 36.2% 237th Soderberg last year

2007-08 32.8% 118th Majerus 1st year

2008-09 27.5% 18th

2009-10 24.2% 5th

2010-11 22.0% 1st

2011-12 25.6% 9th

2012-13 26.5% 19th Crews 1st year

2013-14 25.6% 7th

2014-15 33.2% 144th/351

So true. Every time I see an opposing player in the corner, I cringe because I know much of the time the defended is sucked into the middle,

So for two years, Crews' teams were effective in 3 pt. defense and now they are not. Just curious - is that a function of the current crop of frosh not willing to play defense or is it more a function of the two previous teams just remembered what Majerus taught them and Crews was just fortunate to have the latent effects of that?

I think the 3 point defense (or lack thereof) is also due to the inability of our bigs to defend the interior. From what I've seen it looks like we've often played rotational man to man where we are supposed to switch and collapse on the interior...in theory, just like we have for the past few seasons. But too many times the guy who is supposed to rotate (Yacoubou, Yarbrough, Crawford) is left in no man's land where he isn't exactly guarding the interior and he isn't exactly guarding his man, who often ends up with an open 3.

Our inability to rebound also puts added pressure on our guards to crash the boards, which can lead to an open 3 for our opponents.

Sam.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt based upon your limited number of posts. Possibly Billiken basketball is something new for you. I don't know.

Again, if you want to write a post saying that Jim Crews deserves credit for taking RM's players and keeping them at SLU, for developing them (Jordair was no where close to A10 player of the year when RM stepped down at HC), for winning the A10 and winning an NCAA Tourney game two (2) years in a row, then we are in agreement.. If, on the other hand, you are interested in making excuses for Jim Crews (such as that RM did not leave him much) then I disagree with you.

As to RM's last two (2) years of recruits, yes, I agree that they were not good. At the same time, JM and GG were a small class (only 2 kids) and JIm Crews could easily have sent one or both packing. RM sent 5 packing his first year, why did Crews not send a single player packing? As to the next class, Keith Carter started for SLU/Jim Crews but left SLU after not wanting to play for Jim Crews. By all accounts, Carter wanted to play for RM but did not want to play for Crews. Therefore, don't blame RM for Carter. And you are also forgetting about Austin McBroom. While not one of my favorite players, the guy can flat out shoot the basketball and can dribble the ball (see the games against VCU's pressure). Is McBroom capable of being our PG and playing 30 minutes per game? No, but he is another weapon that RM would have used.

In addition, rosters are set at 13 players and team really only need 8 good players to win. A few mistakes are certainly allowed and most teams have these players. Crews has certainly had his share of poor recruits.

Finally, I believe your time frame is inaccurate. First of all, Jim Crews was our assistant coach and entire year here at SLU under RM and therefore had already been involve with recruiting efforts before RM stepped down. Second, Jim Crews was interim head coach that whole year and contrary to your statement he did recruit/sign Mike Crawford in the Fall signing period. Third, I would suggest to you that recruiting would have been much easier for Jim Crews in the Spring after being appointed permanent head coach than in the prior Fall when appointed interim head coach because Jim Crews got to show and prove to everyone that he could still coach, show that he had success (A10 conference and tourney champs) and that they won a game in the NCAA Tourney and could show all these recruits his National Coach of the Year Award. With all that clout and momentum, Jim Crews signed Reggie and Tanner and got Ash to transfer -- how disappointing!!

Think about it. Had Crews been able to get production out of his 3 Sophs, his 'Nova transfer and been able to use Manning and McBroom in limited roles, we would not have had to rely on the Frosh. Instead, the Frosh would get minutes after earning it: by playing tough defense, by rebounding, by setting/using screens, etc. Instead, our upperclassmen have been worse than our Frosh and then people wonder why the Frosh are not catching on better.

Sam.

Think about it. Had Crews been able to get production out of his 3 Sophs, his 'Nova transfer and been able to use Manning and McBroom in limited roles, we would not have had to rely on the Frosh. Instead, the Frosh would get minutes after earning it: by playing tough defense, by rebounding, by setting/using screens, etc. Instead, our upperclassmen have been worse than our Frosh and then people wonder why the Frosh are not catching on

Clock,

I dont know you so I won't assume I have played, coached, and watched more basketball then you have. I saw Jim Crews play in high school and have been following SLU since I moved here in the late 80s.

I know Crawford was signed in the early signing period and have said so in other post. I just didn't rehash old territory.

There are some on this board that do not want to give Crews and staff any credit for the last two years but want to give him most of the blame for this year. All I am trying to get accross is Crews and staff should get some credit for the previous 2 years as well as some blame for this year.

Two bad decruiting classes, Rick getting sick and dying left the program in a tough position. I hope the freshman turn into a class like last years seniors but who knows. It will be fustrating and fun to watch.

While I was sitting in my seat last night at the game I was remembering how much fun it was to go see games like Memphis State at the Scottrade. Man that place used to get loud. I have sat all over Chafietz and no matter where I sit it seems like my daughter and I are the only ones yelling in our section.

Clock,

I dont know you so I wouldnt assume I have played, coached, or watched more basketball then you. I saw Jim Crews play in high school and have been a fan of SLU since I moved here in the late 80s.

I know Crawford was signed in the early signing period but was tired of rehashing thinvs I have mentioned in other posts.

All I am trying to say is that Crews and staff should get some of the credit for the previous seasons as well as some of the blame for this year.

Two bad recruiting classes and Rick getting sick and dying have put the program in a tough position. Hopefully the freshman will turn out to be as good as last years seniors but who knows. It will be fun and frusgrating to watch.

As I was sitting in my seat last night I was remembering how much fun it was to go watch teams like Memphis State at the Scottrade. Man would it get loud. I have sat all over at Chafietz and no matter what section I am in my daughter and I are the only ones yelling.

Understood. And sure, it would have been nice if RM had left an even deeper roster than he did. At the same time, RM did not bring in players and (good or bad) coach them up for 4 years. Instead, missed on nearly as many recruits as he found success with. Therefore his rosters constantly turned over. Some don't like this approach but even they concede it was effective and we had better teams because of it. Therefore, I do not buy into the notion that RM had 2 bad classes and therefore we are simply paying the price for that. RM would have fixed his own mistakes and, IMO, a good replacement coach to RM would do the same. Instead, Jim Crews has stuck with these kids (JM, AM and GG to name a few). Jim Crews' good recruits and lack of roster upgrades are more to blame than RM's bad recruiting classes.

Again, what is your response to why Jim Crews was not able to bring in better/more immediate help after getting the permanent HC job, winning the A10, make the NCAA Tourney again,National Coach of Year, etc. than getting Reggie, Tanner and Ash. And are they what they are or is the staff responsible for their lack of development. Jim Crews knew the Cody Ellis, Corey Remekun and Kwamain Mitchell were leaving and replaced them with Crawford, Tanner and Reggie? Then, Crews knew these Sophs couldn't help much last year and that we were losing our Manning and Glaze this year and he decided to replace them (without the Frosh playing a game yet) with Welmer and Neufeld? Really?

Understood. And sure, it would have been nice if RM had left an even deeper roster than he did. At the same time, RM did not bring in players and (good or bad) coach them up for 4 years. Instead, missed on nearly as many recruits as he found success with. Therefore his rosters constantly turned over. Some don't like this approach but even they concede it was effective and we had better teams because of it. Therefore, I do not buy into the notion that RM had 2 bad classes and therefore we are simply paying the price for that. RM would have fixed his own mistakes and, IMO, a good replacement coach to RM would do the same. Instead, Jim Crews has stuck with these kids (JM, AM and GG to name a few). Jim Crews' good recruits and lack of roster upgrades are more to blame than RM's bad recruiting classes.

Again, what is your response to why Jim Crews was not able to bring in better/more immediate help after getting the permanent HC job, winning the A10, make the NCAA Tourney again,National Coach of Year, etc. than getting Reggie, Tanner and Ash. And are they what they are or is the staff responsible for their lack of development. Jim Crews knew the Cody Ellis, Corey Remekun aoilnd Kwamain Mitchell were leaving and replaced them with Crawford, Tanner and Reggie? Then, Crews knew these Sophs couldn't help much last year and that we were losing our Manning and Glaze this year and he decided to replace them (without the Frosh playing a game yet) with Welmer and Neufeld? Really?

RMs last two classes were- Glaze, Manning, and the Greek kid then Carter, Drew, and McBroom

I was told by someone close to the program that Carter left because he didnt like to be yelled at and wouldnt play defense. McBroom played two minutes in the last game because twice his man dribbled right by him. He is a liability on defense.

You dont understand how recruiting works if you dont think it hurt that Crews couldnt recruit during the season because he was an interm coach. Most kids we would recruit would sign in the fall. 5 of our 6 fresman signed in the fall. This makes the pool of available kids much smaller in the spring.The best kids left had schools on them their whole senior year. Tanner and the rest of the staff had a month to try and catch up. Tnere were 63 other teams that made the tournament and all the major programs that didnt after these kids.

You wanted Crews to cut 3 guys loose after his interm season. That would have meant the staff would have had to find 3 more kids on short notice. People arent happy with the first three we got. How good do you think the second three would have been. Majerus got rid of Soderberg recruits who all should have been playing Div 2 anyway. It would have been different for Crews to get rid of 3 D1kids that Majerus recruited. It would have also left a tournament team with just the 5 kids that ended up starting from the previous years team. That would not have been very smart.

RMs last two classes we - Glaze, Manning, and the Greek kid then Carter, Drew, and McBroom

I was told by someone close to the program that Carter left because he didnt like to be yelled at and wouldnt pla

Panzi. Good riddance. Any insight as to what happened with Drew? I heard he was forced out but am not sure why

I do not agree with your statement about RA or MC but you are spot on about JC having a problem. Hopefully at season end we will maintain a solid core of kids that will stay and continue to grow.

This staff opened a door for some kids this season and those kids are now emboldened to do things their way. Reining that in is now a problem. Here is a stat from last night that should alarm everyone watching. How many assists did our guards dime out vs GM? 2 lovely ones. Hmmmmmm.

Crews has lost this team.

He did not build on the athletic ability and speed of this team.

It will be surprising if they all stay. The team has guards that make bad passes and can't dribble and can't see the floor to pass.

Davel Roby was the 2 guard without a jump shot in high school. His point guard and center had 50 percent of the teams opportunities.

Roby is a keeper.

We have two tall recruits coming in. We need guards

Crews ignored the two players who helped last year when our players were tired from the long season.

TL and AM were the only players with experience who could lead the team..

Doghouse or broken spirits they were the only ones who new the system.

Crawford kept trying and got better but Crews took the ball out of his hands early in the season.

The team needed speed and Reynolds sat for 20 games.

Bartley can shoot but the coaches never taught him high school cross court passes do not work and they also could not teach him how to run the motion offense and see opportunities and he picks up his dribble but Crews loves this skinny guard be cause he is tall.

John Manning and TL, Jolly, AG, RA all set picks at beginning of season-some better but few picks were set or used as this season progressed.

Crews appears to keep written notes during the game as if he can't Remember what he should do or what is important after the game

Crews never developed a feeling in this team that players could trust each other or have plays. The in bound play lack of players on free throw line are just ridiculous for this team. His rotations have been predictable to the minute

He looks like the coaches like Cheaney talk to Tanner Bronson while Crews and his old coaching buddy take turns belittling and yelling at players. Everyone in stands could see SLU was collapsing and giving 44 a free look from the sideline repeatedly. Davel Roby had two steal attempts but looked like he tried to get taken out for a breather more than once. The pregame shoot around second half was lack luster. There has been very little coaching up under Crews.

Porter and Whitesell may not have been the answer but I don't buy Majerus bringing in Crews because he expected to die. I think Majerus tried to save coaches who had lost their jobs. Crews lost the last two head coaching jobs he had.

Let's see if we can hire Jensen as head coach. Cheaney would be better than Crews but I doubt after a year under Crews he is ready to be a head coach.

RMs last two classes were- Glaze, Manning, and the Greek kid then Carter, Drew, and McBroom

I was told by someone close to the program that Carter left because he didnt like to be yelled at and wouldnt play defense. McBroom played two minutes in the last game because twice his man dribbled right by him. He is a liability on defense.

You dont understand how recruiting works if you dont think it hurt that Crews couldnt recruit during the season because he was an interm coach. Most kids we would recruit would sign in the fall. 5 of our 6 fresman signed in the fall. This makes the pool of available kids much smaller in the spring.The best kids left had schools on them their whole senior year. Tanner and the rest of the staff had a month to try and catch up. Tnere were 63 other teams that made the tournament and all the major programs that didnt after these kids.

You wanted Crews to cut 3 guys loose after his interm season. That would have meant the staff would have had to find 3 more kids on short notice. People arent happy with the first three we got. How good do you think the second three would have been. Majerus got rid of Soderberg recruits who all should have been playing Div 2 anyway. It would have been different for Crews to get rid of 3 D1kids that Majerus recruited. It would have also left a tournament team with just the 5 kids that ended up starting from the previous years team. That would not have been very smart.

Sam.

No. I fully understand how recruiting works. Answer my question and stop dodging it and making up false arguments to make yourself look better. Of course, it is usually better and easier to recruit in the Fall as opposed to the Spring. Years ago, not much was left in the Spring. Things have greatly changed in recent years and Spring recruiting is much better (deeper amounts of talent) than it used to be. And with the events I stated that Crews had going for him, may have had a better chance to recruit that Spring than earlier in the Fall. Crews simply struck out with Crawford, Tanner, Reggie and Ash. Most programs who change coaches do so in the Spring and these new coaches do much better than Crews did that Spring. And again, you're wrong in that Crews and staff had more than a month -- he was RM's assistant for a year, then the interim coach the whole year and then had 30 days.

And again, you're wrong. Crews could have cut players (anyone) after being appointed or after last year. I never said he had to only cut after the interim year. And BTW, Tanner is looking more and more like a D2 player. Apparently, you are only acknowledging that Crews can cut RM's players as opposed to his own players.

Oh yeah I was going to bring this up the other day while watching Northern Iowa and Wichita St, but regarding Yacoubou:

We were going after 2 other transfers at that time. Remy Abell who is doing very well at Xavier and Paul Jesperson who is shooting 45% from 3 for Northern Iowa. Neither one is a star, but both would have been good players for SLU.

Sam.

No. I fully understand how recruiting works. Answer my question and stop dodging it and making up false arguments to make yourself look better. Of course, it is usually better and easier to recruit in the Fall as opposed to the Spring. Years ago, not much was left in the Spring. Things have greatly changed in recent years and Spring recruiting is much better (deeper amounts of talent) than it used to be. And with the events I stated that Crews had going for him, may have had a better chance to recruit that Spring than earlier in the Fall. Crews simply struck out with Crawford, Tanner, Reggie and Ash. Most programs who change coaches do so in the Spring and these new coaches do much better than Crews did that Spring. And again, you're wrong in that Crews and staff had more than a month -- he was RM's assistant for a year, then the interim coach the whole year and then had 30 days.

And again, you're wrong. Crews could have cut players (anyone) after being appointed or after last year. I never said he had to only cut after the interim year. And BTW, Tanner is looking more and more like a D2 player. Apparently, you are only acknowledging that Crews can cut RM's players as opposed to his own players.

When Majerus hired Crews he said it would be for 6 months so I highly doubt he was out recruiting his year as an assistant.

Crews has said they did not recruit during the season when he was the interm coach. They devoted their time to the kids that were there. It would have been tough to recruit anyway since no one was sure who the head coach was going to be the following year. So yes they had 30 days.

It is easier to recruit in the spring because you say so? I love guys like you that think just because you say something it must be true. I think it actually is probably harder but I dont have facts to back that up.

I stated my case. I think I am right and you obviously think you are right. I am done discussing it.

Oh yeah I was going to bring this up the other day while watching Northern Iowa and Wichita St, but regarding Yacoubou:

We were going after 2 other transfers at that time. Remy Abell who is doing very well at Xavier and Paul Jesperson who is shooting 45% from 3 for Northern Iowa. Neither one is a star, but both would have been good players for SLU.

I certainly was hoping for more out of Ash this season, but in fairness, I think if you put him alongside an effective, experienced PG, he would be better. The team is just poorly constructed. The two guys you mention are surrounded by much more experienced, better supporting casts.

I certainly was hoping for more out of Ash this season, but in fairness, I think if you put him alongside an effective, experienced PG, he would be better. The team is just poorly constructed. The two guys you mention are surrounded by much more experienced, better supporting casts.

The pg thing is huge. It is bigger than are big man problem on offense. The fact that we have no one to effectively run an offense is killing us on that end of the court. None of the current canidates effectively protects the ball or sets up his teammates.

I don't understand how the staff couldn't land one component player for the spot. We knew we were losing McCall and Jett. It was obvious to most people that McBroom wasn't a pg.

The pg thing is huge. It is bigger than are big man problem on offense. The fact that we have no one to effectively run an offense is killing us on that end of the court. None of the current canidates effectively protects the ball or sets up his teammates.

I don't understand how the staff couldn't land one component player for the spot. We knew we were losing McCall and Jett. It was obvious to most people that McBroom wasn't a pg.

Carter has been referenced recently. I just saw him again recently on the tube, and while not a star, a player like that would help run our offense a LOT better. I don't blame JC for KC departing, the kid was obviously a big time tool - even KM alluded to it. BUT, once you know Carter is leaving, JC should have made getting a PG a top priority. A guy like Carter shouldn't have been that hard to replace. RM understood the importance of having multiple PGs.

If you could take anyone from the 2011-2012 team and put them with this year's team, would you take one of the players or Majerus?

No offense to Majerus, but after spending the last two years underground I don't think he'd be of much use to anyone. I'll take Mitchell.

Crews definitely deserves some of the blame for the debacle this season has become, but you can't ignore the reality of three straight weak recruiting classes that were out of his control. The other side of the coin is that he knew the situation going in. He knew this year was coming, and that he'd have to bring in a load of freshmen and ask them to carry the team. If he wasn't interested in that challenge, he could have ridden off into the sunset after either of the last two banner seasons.

First of all, Jim Crews was our assistant coach and entire year here at SLU under RM and therefore had already been involve with recruiting efforts before RM stepped down.

Really? I never heard he did much in the way of recruiting. The popular theory (belief? assumption?) at the time was that Whitesell was way more involved in recruiting, and that Crews was not much interested in that side of the job after walking away from coaching. That was, again, a big part of the angst over Crews being pegged head coach over Whitesell.

Is it fair to question why we can come off 3 straight Round of 32 appearances, 2 straight A10 titles, a ton of publicity, and a top 10 ranking with a 2-time A10 COY, 1 National COY, the Big 10's all time leading scorer and an NBA veteran as an assistant, and great facilities, but only come away with the 79th best recruiting class?

http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

What was the 2010 class ranked? Not much better, I'd wager. I think Majerus and his staff had a lot more national cachet even at that point than Crews did carrying Majerus' posthumous coattails.

Probably even lower. But Crews isn't Majerus. And my point is that we should be having a much better recruiting class than we do considering our recent success.

I still won't put too much stock into recruiting rankings, but it would have been nice to bring in at least one top 150 recruit.

If this list is to be believed, this recruiting class is better than Marquette, West Virginia, Washington, Texas A&M, Georgia, Pitt, Temple, Wake Forest, Iowa State, Cal, and Wisconsin (who comes in at #106).

How are they coming up with the score? Are they just averaging the star rating for the players? Is Okafor + 3 unranked players considered a "worse" class than Reynolds, Roby, Yarbrough, and Jolly?

I like to look at recruiting rankings, but I always remember that the highest rated recruit brought in by Majerus was Brett Thompson.

Probably even lower. But Crews isn't Majerus. And my point is that we should be having a much better recruiting class than we do considering our recent success.

I still won't put too much stock into recruiting rankings, but it would have been nice to bring in at least one top 150 recruit.

My point is that I don't know why we'd expect a better recruiting class with Crews than we ever got with Majerus. Everyone knew the national perception was that the last three years were all a Majerus creation, and that if Crews wanted SLU to be seen as "legit" he would have to keep the run of success going.

And I know this is outside the original topic, but now that Crews hasn't kept the run of success going, we're probably back to square one (or at least very close) in the national imagination.

Really? I never heard he did much in the way of recruiting. The popular theory (belief? assumption?) at the time was that Whitesell was way more involved in recruiting, and that Crews was not much interested in that side of the job after walking away from coaching. That was, again, a big part of the angst over Crews being pegged head coach over Whitesell.

HSmith. In fairness, who are you and why should any of us care if you heard of Jim Crews recruiting or not when he was RM's assistant. Check your ego at the door please.

Seriously. If you are correct that Whitesell did more recruiting and if recruiting if as important as we think it is, then why did Crews get selected over Whitesell? If you are correct, we are to assume that Jim Crews was not really involved in recruiting and yet someone at SLU decided he would be both our Interim HC and then permanent HC jumping over other guys (Whitesell) with more experience at SLU including recruiting? Odd, don't you think?

Sorry, but whether or not Crews or Whitesell did more recruiting is another one of your false arguments. Who knows and who cares. What if I say that I heard that Jim Crews was our main recruiter that year? Does that make it true? Prove to us that Crews did not recruit and was not involved in recruiting. Sure, one guy may do more recruiting than the next guy -- especially if that is their forte and if they have already long-established relationships with the recruits

When Majerus hired Crews he said it would be for 6 months so I highly doubt he was out recruiting his year as an assistant.

Crews has said they did not recruit during the season when he was the interm coach. They devoted their time to the kids that were there. It would have been tough to recruit anyway since no one was sure who the head coach was going to be the following year. So yes they had 30 days.

It is easier to recruit in the spring because you say so? I love guys like you that think just because you say something it must be true. I think it actually is probably harder but I dont have facts to back that up.

I stated my case. I think I am right and you obviously think you are right. I am done discussing it.

Sammy. If these post represent your basketball knowledge, then spare us any future posts. You obviously have no clue what you are talking about.latest

And you are wrong about your latest statement. The staff did recruit during the season it is just that they did not make it as big of a priority. Alot was already on their plates and recruiting was not the number priority. Whether true or not -- coaches say these kinds of things. As mentioned and which you overlooked, Crawford was signed in the Fall so recruiting was done by Jim Crews and staff.

And work on your reading comprehension before typing next time. I never said Spring recruiting is simply easier nor did I cite myself as the source for any such statement. Instead, I said that questions existed as to Jim Crews prior to his becoming HC (Could he relate to the modern players, can he recruit even though he didn't recruit so good at Army, can he coach the modern player without abusing them like he did at Army, was the NCAA Tourney and his days with the Purple Aces that far ago that the game has passed him by...) and yet he silenced these critics by taking charge of the team RM left behind, keeping them together and guiding them to a second straight NCAA Tourney along with A10 conference champs and A10 Tourney Champs. Along the way, he earned coach of the year and was respectful face for both the University and the basketball program. All of this should have quieted doubts about his ability to coach and about whether SLU would be any good without RM at the helm. Crews and SLU had so many more doors opened to them that Spring than I can recall in my 30 plus years of following Billiken basketball. IMO, the iron was hotter for Crews that Spring than it was for him earlier that Fall and yet instead of striking while the iron was hot that Spring and getting recruits who could make a difference, Crews struck out and got 3 players who, at best, will not produce for us, if at all, until their third year here. If you disagree, then tell me why. Don't just get mad, say that I stated my case and walk away. LOL

In the meantime, just keep blaming RM for everything!! LOL :wacko:

Sammy. If these post represent your basketball knowledge, then spare us any future posts. You obviously have no clue what you are talking about.latest

And you are wrong about your latest statement. The staff did recruit during the season it is just that they did not make it as big of a priority. Alot was already on their plates and recruiting was not the number priority. Whether true or not -- coaches say these kinds of things. As mentioned and which you overlooked, Crawford was signed in the Fall so recruiting was done by Jim Crews and staff.

And work on your reading comprehension before typing next time. I never said Spring recruiting is simply easier nor did I cite myself as the source for any such statement. Instead, I said that questions existed as to Jim Crews prior to his becoming HC (Could he relate to the modern players, can he recruit even though he didn't recruit so good at Army, can he coach the modern player without abusing them like he did at Army, was the NCAA Tourney and his days with the Purple Aces that far ago that the game has passed him by...) and yet he silenced these critics by taking charge of the team RM left behind, keeping them together and guiding them to a second straight NCAA Tourney along with A10 conference champs and A10 Tourney Champs. Along the way, he earned coach of the year and was respectful face for both the University and the basketball program. All of this should have quieted doubts about his ability to coach and about whether SLU would be any good without RM at the helm. Crews and SLU had so many more doors opened to them that Spring than I can recall in my 30 plus years of following Billiken basketball. IMO, the iron was hotter for Crews that Spring than it was for him earlier that Fall and yet instead of striking while the iron was hot that Spring and getting recruits who could make a difference, Crews struck out and got 3 players who, at best, will not produce for us, if at all, until their third year here. If you disagree, then tell me why. Don't just get mad, say that I stated my case and walk away. LOL

In the meantime, just keep blaming RM for everything!! LOL :wacko:

blo-vi-ate

ˈblōvēˌāt/

verb

talk at length, especially in an inflated or empty way.

also, you're kidding yourself if you believe Crews "quieted doubts about his ability to coach and about whether SLU would be any good without RM at the helm"

to borrow a line - LOL