Blind Stats

slufan13

I think us fans are evaluating players based on reputation right now so I wanted to look at the stats from a blind standpoint to see who has actually been playing well over the last month. This doesn't say everything and there's obviously more stats you can look at such as assists, turnovers, etc. And things that aren't stats such as who defenses focus on and who has what type of role on the team. But I still find it interesting.

Last 7 games (from Duquesne win to Fordham loss)

Player A: 27.8 MPG....9.0 PPG.....41.6% FG%....2.5 RPG

Player B: 28.2 MPG....9.2 PPG....35.7% FG%...5.4 RPG

Player C: 28.2 MPG...11.2 PPG...46.5 FG%...5.1 RPG

Player D: 18.4 MPG...10.0 PPG...53.4 FG%...1.1 RPG

Player E: 11.1 MPG...2.5 PPG...88.8 FG%...3.2 RPG

See below for who's who.

Player A: Davell Roby

Player B: Milik Yarbrough

Player C: Ash Yacoubou

Player D: Mike Crawford

Player E: Reggie Agbeko

I just looked for the lowest rebounding total and the worst shooting percentage and assumed that those players were Crawford and MY, respectively. Guessing everybody else was easy :-) I'm a Crawford guy but he really needs to become more of a factor on the boards. Drew Diener was a better rebounder and he couldn't jump over a phone book.

Milik is the only player operating without a net. If he doesn't produce against larger frontcourts, we've got no one behind him who other teams have to respect at all. He has to be aggressive to compensate for his lack of height but he also has be disciplined enough to avoid stupid fouls. He has to look to score but he also has to anticipate double teams and look for the open man. It's a helluva balancing act for a 19 year old swingman playing out of position. Keep your head up, Milik!

i expect we'll see variations of the same story as individual numbers fluctuate -- we're playing 4 on 5 on offense, on defense, and on the boards. The young bigs working their asses off this summer can help correct a lot of that. Welmer and Neufeld pushing Gilmann et al in practice should also help. Maybe that's why the staff is pursuing Christian Willaims so hard. He may be the best rebounding guard in central Illinois.

You should have included Bartley since he's got somewhat similar numbers to Crawford

Using the same 7 game sample

Bartley: 19.4 MPG...6.7 PPG...51.6 FG%...45.8 3P%...1.6 RPG...1.7 APG...1.1 TPG

Crawford: 18.4 MPG...10.0 PPG...53.4 FG%...55.6 3P%...0.9 RPG...0.7 APG...1.0 TPG

I want more FG attempts from these two, especially Bartley.

I think us fans are evaluating players based on reputation right now so I wanted to look at the stats from a blind standpoint to see who has actually been playing well over the last month. This doesn't say everything and there's obviously more stats you can look at such as assists, turnovers, etc. And things that aren't stats such as who defenses focus on and who has what type of role on the team. But I still find it interesting.

Last 7 games (from Duquesne win to Fordham loss)

Player A: 27.8 MPG....9.0 PPG.....41.6% FG%....2.5 RPG

Player B: 28.2 MPG....9.2 PPG....35.7% FG%...5.4 RPG

Player C: 28.2 MPG...11.2 PPG...46.5 FG%...5.1 RPG

Player D: 18.4 MPG...10.0 PPG...53.4 FG%...1.1 RPG

Player D: 11.1 MPG...2.5 PPG...88.8 FG%...3.2 RPG

See below for who's who.

Player A: Davell Roby

Player B: Milik Yarbrough

Player C: Ash Yacoubou

Player D: Mike Crawford

Player E: Reggie Agbeko

Thank you SLUFAN13....something other than people ripping apart Manning, Crews, the whole team, was kinda nice this beautiful Sunday morning. I guessed A & E correct, switched up B & C and thought Bartley was D.

Just looking at our bigs and breaking down their stats per minute played over the last 8 games, it appears to be a no brainer that #5 (the most points, the most rebounds, the fewest turnovers) should get more minutes per game. Like you said, stats don't show everything but #5 needs more minutes. Keep in mind 3 of the 5 bigs have sat games over this 8 game stretch and the minutes per game are actually minutes per game played.

1)16.0 MPG/.208PPM/.083RPM/.000BPM/.041TOPM

2)15.3 MPG/.162PPM/.162RPM/.040BPM/.083TOPM

3)13.4 MPG/.127PPM/.106RPM/.042BPM/.053TOPM

4)13.1 MPG/.130PPM/.054RPM/.065BPM/.054TOPM

5)10.2 MPG/.219PPM/.292RPM/.000BPM/.036TOPM

1) Lancona

2) Gillman

3) Manning

4) Jolly

5) Agbeko

^ Good analysis and your stats do make a good case for Agbeko to get more minutes. He's certainly looked like he has more of a clue lately anyways.

Unfortunately, what really stood out at me more than anything when I looked at that list was the fact that our big men are terrible. Am I reading that right? All five of them combined average less than 1 point and 1 rebound per minute? You've got to be kidding me.

^ Good analysis and your stats do make a good case for Agbeko to get more minutes. He's certainly looked like he has more of a clue lately anyways.

Unfortunately, what really stood out at me more than anything when I looked at that list was the fact that our big men are terrible. Am I reading that right? All five of them combined average less than 1 point and 1 rebound per minute? You've got to be kidding me.

We don't average 1 rebound per minute as a team on the year. There are only 9 teams in Division I that average more than 1 rebound per minute as a team. SLU's stats are .775RPM and 1.521PPM as a team over the last 8 games I mentioned above.

We don't average 1 rebound per minute as a team on the year. There are only 9 teams in Division I that average more than 1 rebound per minute as a team. SLU's stats are .775RPM and 1.521PPM as a team over the last 8 games I mentioned above.

True, but we're 350th in the NCAA in rebounding, not to mention, you would expect the largest percentage of any team's rebounds to be concentrated among their big men. It is circuitous...we're a terrible rebounding team and other than Agbeko, the rebounding rates from our big men are terrible.

I just looked for the lowest rebounding total and the worst shooting percentage and assumed that those players were Crawford and MY, respectively. Guessing everybody else was easy :-) I'm a Crawford guy but he really needs to become more of a factor on the boards. Drew Diener was a better rebounder and he couldn't jump over a phone book.

Great point on the rebounding. Crawford does have hops. He slammed the ball in a recent game and he can get to the basket and elevate (and finish). I don't get why he doesn't rebound with the same tenacity of the rest of his game.

I think Crawford is a future leader of this team. Getting more minutes is allowing him to develop. It's really a shame he was sick for the first half of the season.

That's a great idea. I actually had them all guessed correctly, but I KNEW immediately who Crawford was. Dude's averaging like 22 per 40 minutes on 50%+ shooting.

MOOOOOAAAARRRR CRAWFORD.

Crawford is a gift from God.

Agbeko has done everything necessary to get more minutes. He's freakishly athletic (at times) and doesn't do much of anything wrong. He also seems to make some of the strangest looking shots that make you scratch your head, with the utmost consistency.

True, but we're 350th in the NCAA in rebounding, not to mention, you would expect the largest percentage of any team's rebounds to be concentrated among their big men. It is circuitous...we're a terrible rebounding team and other than Agbeko, the rebounding rates from our big men are terrible.

I'd like to wonder what these numbers would look like with GG in the rotation. I'd like to think that part of this rebounding struggle is due to the unexpected adjustments made in order to accomodate the absence of one of our most experienced and arguably talented big men.

Great point on the rebounding. Crawford does have hops. He slammed the ball in a recent game and he can get to the basket and elevate (and finish). I don't get why he doesn't rebound with the same tenacity of the rest of his game.

I think Crawford is a future leader of this team. Getting more minutes is allowing him to develop. It's really a shame he was sick for the first half of the season.

Crawford does everything right. The athleticism he's starting to show is very exciting and he's all-around a fantastic player. Can't wait to see what he brings to the table here on out.

-I looked at the "stats" you posted and based on the stats published at slubillikens.com yours do not match what they have

-I agree with the general position we are not getting much from the 5 spot

-RA could be a rebound machine as it seems to me he still misses quite a few, but he also needs to reduce the to's

-I looked at the "stats" you posted and based on the stats published at slubillikens.com yours do not match what they have

I got stats from espn.

-RA could be a rebound machine as it seems to me he still misses quite a few, but he also needs to reduce the to's

I got stats from espn

Milik is the only player operating without a net. If he doesn't produce against larger frontcourts, we've got no one behind him who other teams have to respect at all. He has to be aggressive to compensate for his lack of height but he also has be disciplined enough to avoid stupid fouls. He has to look to score but he also has to anticipate double teams and look for the open man. It's a helluva balancing act for a 19 year old swingman playing out of position. Keep your head up, Milik!

i expect we'll see variations of the same story as individual numbers fluctuate -- we're playing 4 on 5 on offense, on defense, and on the boards. The young bigs working their asses off this summer can help correct a lot of that. Welmer and Neufeld pushing Gilmann et al in practice should also help. Maybe that's why the staff is pursuing Christian Willaims so hard. He may be the best rebounding guard in central Illinois.

Agreed all around. Crawford has become the hero of the message board for his shooting efficiency. I still think people are wrongly considering him underrated, and that leads them to overrate him in turn. The truth is, Bartley and Yacoubou have both been underrated on this board (especially lately), and if you want to see more Crawford, you're going to have to take playing time and FG attempts from somebody. Probably Yacoubou and/or Roby, who has also been good lately.

Agreed all around. Crawford has become the hero of the message board for his shooting efficiency. I still think people are wrongly considering him underrated, and that leads them to overrate him in turn. The truth is, Bartley and Yacoubou have both been underrated on this board (especially lately), and if you want to see more Crawford, you're going to have to take playing time and FG attempts from somebody. Probably Yacoubou and/or Roby, who has also been good lately.

I'd like to have it both ways and play small so that all those guys can get more shots

I'd like to wonder what these numbers would look like with GG in the rotation. I'd like to think that part of this rebounding struggle is due to the unexpected adjustments made in order to accomodate the absence of one of our most experienced and arguably talented big men.

I'd say our team rebounding ranking would be a bit better, simply because that is the one skill GG has - he is an above average rebounder for sure (though I wouldn't touch the word "talented" when it comes to him, his ball handling and court sense rivals Agbeko's; he does bust his ass out there and has a lot of heart, more than I can say for JM, so I'll give him that). I think though, it is wishful thinking that the rest of our big men (Agbeko not included) are collectively harmless on the boards because they are adjusting to Grandy not being out there. If anything, I'd think their rates would improve because there are more shots available for them to grab.