Has All Century Team Been Announced?

Billboy1

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thus, your psychological profile, taking cheap shots at Cardinal great Lou Brock and saying Willie McGee had "dashing ET looks".

Wasn't the announcer who compared Willie's appearance to ET's the same one who once said of him, "Look at that little monkey run?"

Of course, there are probably no statistics to verify this.

Another point for consideration, in addition for my strong belief that Harry Rogers should be on this All-Century Team:

Five (5) of the Sixteen (16) players that were named to this team were Coach Rich Grawer recruits: Monroe Douglass, Roland Gray, Anthony Bonner, Erwin Claggett and Scott Highmark.

In addition to Harry Rogers, Lewis McKinney, David Burns, and Marque Perry should also be on this team.

Just curious, would you put Brock in the Top 10 Cardinals of all-time?

Maybe. As I said earlier, I'd consider Brock one of the best 10 Cardinal position players of all time as far as total career performance goes. If you include pitchers, I think he is right on the edge of being top 10, roughly tied with fellow left fielder Joe Medwick. Brock gets points for longevity but is behind quite a few guys in terms of peak value. If you put a gun to my head, my overall top 10 would probably be:

Musial

Hornsby

Pujols

Gibson

Ozzie

Mize

Slaughter

Boyer

Dean

Brock

There is a huge gap after the top 5. The bottom half of that top 10 is far closer to the category with Medwick, Brecheen, Frisch, Simmons, Flood, Hernandez, Bottomley, Lankford, and a few others than they are to the category with Musial, Hornsby, Pujols, Gibson, and Ozzie.

Ouch. So you admit getting cut from the freshman baseball team. Did you make it outside to swing a bat or did you get cut just from doing pick ups and playing catch in the gym?

Thus, your psychological profile, taking cheap shots at Cardinal great Lou Brock and saying Willie McGee had "dashing ET looks".

Assignment: the number one stat, the # 1 first and foremost measurable in baseball, is "hits", so please list players # 24 - 10,000 who finished behind Lou Brock, # 23 all time MLB baseball in hits.

I have finally figured it out. The "you got cut in high school" line is not just MB73 tourette's--it's his way of admitting he has no rebuttal to the argument at hand.

You consider total career hits the "#1 first and foremost measurable" in baseball? Fielding percentage and career hits--wow. I never expect too much out of college basketball fans when it comes to knowledge of baseball, but I really hope this is a joke. Pretty insulting to Lou Brock and his actual strengths as a ballplayer and actual contributions to Cardinal pennant winners to fall back on such ridiculous statistical arguments...

Lifetime bating averages: Lou Brock: .293 and Ozzie Smith: .262

Using raw, unadjusted batting average to compare a left fielder to the greatest defensive shortstop of all time is a little bit like lining Rod Strickland up next to Shaquille O'Neal and deciding to focus on their free throw percentages.

It would probably surprise a lot of casual baseball fans that In terms of getting on base, Ozzie and Brock were basically equal relative to their respective league averages, both in terms of career and peak numbers. Ozzie was a far more patient hitter with a much better command of the strike zone. Ozzie walked almost twice as often as he struck out, while Brock struck out more than twice as often as he walked. And though Ozzie didn't attempt to steal nearly as often as Brock did, Ozzie still stole an awful lot of bases, and did so at a significantly better success rate than Brock did. Because of the better success rate, Ozzie's basestealing produced roughly the same number of runs for his teams that Brock's did.

Brock had much more power than Ozzie did, and was overall a much better hitter. But he was also a mediocre fielder at one of the lowest spots on the defensive spectrum. Ozzie was not only probably the greatest defensive player of all time, but he also became a very good offensive player at a position and during an era in baseball history where any offensive production came at a premium. There were quite a few offensive performers of Brock's caliber at corner outfield spots in the '60s and '70s. There have been only a handful of shortstops that can compare to Ozzie in the entire history of baseball. In terms of overall value to their teams, Brock is not close to Ozzie. The more bombastic among us might even consider it a "cheap shot" to suggest otherwise, but that to me would smack of taking these things (and ourselves) just a tad too seriously.

Wasn't the announcer who compared Willie's appearance to ET's the same one who once said of him, "Look at that little monkey run?"

Of course, there are probably no statistics to verify this.

Yeah, Cosell helped popularize the ET/McGee comparisons. The "look at that monkey run" line was in reference to Art Monk, who was already nicknamed "Monkey" before Cosell came along. That one had nothing to do with McGee.

Word on the street is McGee rapped sexually in front of one of Cosell's buddies' granddaughters.

Yeah, Cosell helped popularize the ET/McGee comparisons. The "look at that monkey run" line was in reference to Art Monk, who was already nicknamed "Monkey" before Cosell came along. That one had nothing to do with McGee.

Word on the street is McGee rapped sexually in front of one of Cosell's buddies' granddaughters.

The only change I'd make to your list is to put Pujols and Gibson ahead of Musial

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, Brock was great at compiling counting stats because he was a leadoff man who stayed relatively healthy and played for 19 seasons. The 3,000 hits and the 900 stolen bases (with a much less impressive success rate than people are willing to admit) are precisely the reasons he gets so overrated. He was a subpar fielder and merely a good rather than very good or great hitter.

I agree he does deserve the credit he gets for helping the Cardinals win the '64 pennant, and he was also valuable in three World Series, but those three and a half months in '64 was the only time he was even close to one of the best players in his league. Bob O'Farrell, Jim Bottomley, Chick Hafey, Marty Marion, Mort Cooper, and Harry Brecheen were also instrumental in bringing home pennants, and it is in this class of Cardinal that Brock belongs, not the class with Hornsby, Musial, Gibson, Ozzie, and Pujols.

The only Cardinal more overrated than Brock is Ozzie smith.