Coach K advantages

slu72

Was in the doctor's office today and found a year old SI w/ cover of Coach K and J. Parker. It's gonna be hard steering JT away from him. First, he has his great record going for him, save the last couple of years. Second, he tells recruits he's worked w/ the best players in the world as US Olympic coach, and that he can teach them their traits, habits, etc. This article alone would be a great recruiting tool as it reveals how much work and attention he gives his special players. Little details that refine their games. Going to be a hard sell for JC and staff.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was in the doctor's office today and found a year old SI w/ cover of Coach K and J. Parker. It's gonna be hard steering JT away from him. First, he has his great record going for him, save the last couple of years. Second, he tells recruits he's worked w/ the best players in the world as US Olympic coach, and that he can teach them their traits, habits, etc. This article alone would be a great recruiting tool as it reveals how much work and attention he gives his special players. Little details that refine their games. Going to be a hard sell for JC and staff.

You could literally make a similar post for any of the top programs that are pursuing him.

Can we give this crap up? Justin Tatum is going to do what Justin Tatum feels is in HIS best interests, no one else's. Does mom matter? Maybe. Does dad matter? Maybe. Does the godfather matter? Maybe. Do his friends on the AAU circuit matter? Maybe. Does Crews matter? Maybe. Does Coach K matter? Maybe.

Will our program go on after his decision is made? Yes. Would I like Justin Tatum for four years? Yes. Would I like him for one year? Maybe.

My expectations regarding all aspects of Billiken Basketball are tempered at the moment. If winning cures all, then losing is the disease that affects students, fans, recruiting, everything.

In terms of JT: If he wanted to come to a lesser program, that program should at least be viable.

Edit: Taj means Jayson.

If Tatum doesn't come to SLU, I'd rather him go to Duke over Kentucky. I'll be rooting for him and I don't want whatever success he achieves to eventually be vacated because of Calipari.

Also, most expect Tatum to make his decision before next year's high school season. So this is the season of Billiken basketball that he'll be watching. Obviously if he compares our team to the other teams looking at him, we can't compete, but I'd at least like to show promise and not be embarrassed.

My expectations regarding all aspects of Billiken Basketball are tempered at the moment. If winning cures all, then losing is the disease that affects students, fans, recruiting, everything.

In terms of JT: If he wanted to come to a lesser program, that program should at least be viable.

Edit: Taj means Jayson.

This.

If Tatum doesn't come to SLU, I'd rather him go to Duke over Kentucky. I'll be rooting for him and I don't want whatever success he achieves to eventually be vacated because of Calipari.

Also, most expect Tatum to make his decision before next year's high school season. So this is the season of Billiken basketball that he'll be watching. Obviously if he compares our team to the other teams looking at him, we can't compete, but I'd at least like to show promise and not be embarrassed.

I'd rather see him at Kentucky. I would feel better about losing a recruiting battle to the dirtiest player in the game (Calipari) than losing one to Duke.

Can we give this crap up? Justin Tatum is going to do what Justin Tatum feels is in HIS best interests, no one else's. Does mom matter? Maybe. Does dad matter? Maybe. Does the godfather matter? Maybe. Do his friends on the AAU circuit matter? Maybe. Does Crews matter? Maybe. Does Coach K matter? Maybe.

Will our program go on after his decision is made? Yes. Would I like Justin Tatum for four years? Yes. Would I like him for one year? Maybe.

His name is Jayson.

The two seasons before Hughes' year were pretty bad too. I guess it's possible the difference between having a 10 or 12 win season this year (absolute worst-case scenario when the season started) and a 20 win season with a CBI berth (absolute best-case scenario) could be the tipping point for Tatum's decision. But is there really any reason to believe that's the case?

The two seasons before Hughes' year were pretty bad too. I guess it's possible the difference between having a 10 or 12 win season this year (absolute worst-case scenario when the season started) and a 20 win season with a CBI berth (absolute best-case scenario) could be the tipping point for Tatum's decision. But is there really any reason to believe that's the case?

I wouldn't really compare Hughes' and Tatum's recruitment, but I probably still agree although a horrific season does nothing to help.

edit again: what kshoe said

It certainly doesn't help. Fact is nobody knows what is going through Jayson's mind and what factors will weigh heaviest but having a disaster season right before he makes his decision isn't going to help us at all.

A similar statement could be made about the Big East. Hopefully nothing happens this summer (as others have suggested was possible) as you don't want this season and the nagging suspicion that our recent success was just a product of Majerus hanging out there if bids go out.

It certainly doesn't help. Fact is nobody knows what is going through Jayson's mind and what factors will weigh heaviest but having a disaster season right before he makes his decision isn't going to help us at all.

A similar statement could be made about the Big East. Hopefully nothing happens this summer (as others have suggested was possible) as you don't want this season and the nagging suspicion that our recent success was just a product of Majerus hanging out there if bids go out.

We just had to be competitive this year to keep the momentum going in the right direction for so many things.

Look at the results Majerus himself got with a bunch of promising freshmen and a couple unproven veterans (one of whom turned into a star on a tourney team later). That team wound up with 10 wins, and they were coached by the great Majerus himself. If people are going to ignore that reality in order to believe a down year now means we will never be good again, then there's not going to be any changing their minds.

Look at the results Majerus himself got with a bunch of promising freshmen and a couple unproven veterans (one of whom turned into a star on a tourney team later). That team wound up with 10 wins, and they were coached by the great Majerus himself. If people are going to ignore that reality in order to believe a down year now means we will never be good again, then there's not going to be any changing their minds.

Love him or hate him, Crews isn't Majerus. Majerus also missed 7 games that season with sickness and when he was hurt. We lost all 7.

This team shows promise. But based on the first 10 games, this team might get destroyed by 2010-2011

That team got 12 wins against a much tougher schedule and Majerus had a long track record that the current staff doesn't have. That team, also, lost two players unexpectedly.

Of course it would be cool if we were undefeated. However, FBJT knows the situation, knows the players, and he likely isn't too surprised with what is happening. He's friends with Davell and Miles, and is probably confident that this team will be vastly different by the time he is a Frosh.

Yeah I'm starting to get tired of the whole "wait until they are juniors" spiel. So that means we have a shot at the tourney once or twice every 4 years? Yeah so they might be really good in two years, but the great schools are always going to be really good and what makes us think we will be better? Even last year we would have been killed by a Duke, KU, UK. Did we have a true quality win last year against a ranked team, I forget?

Not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic. I hope that eventually we need to rearm instead of rebuild, and that should be everyone's goal. But right now the losses are not helping any momentum on both the JT and NBE fronts.

That team got 12 wins against a much tougher schedule and Majerus had a long track record that the current staff doesn't have. That team, also, lost two players unexpectedly.

Yeah, two returning players this team never had to begin with. The 2010 team was supposed our breakthrough year to the tourney. Everybody knew this one was going to be a down year.

Look at some of the teams that 2010 squad lost to at home: Austin Peay, Portland, Missouri State, Bowling Green State, and La Salle (before their run of success). Barely eeked out home wins against teams like IUPUI, Jacksonville, Duquesne, and 2-win Charlotte, The only road wins all freaking year were 1-win Fordham and Dayton once things started to turn around at the very end.

That was a terrible season. All the "much tougher schedule" line really means is that the team got the honor of being blown out by Duke and losing a squeaker to Georgia. It was still terrible.

Love him or hate him, Crews isn't Majerus. Majerus also missed 7 games that season with sickness and when he was hurt. We lost all 7.

This team shows promise. But based on the first 10 games, this team might get destroyed by 2010-2011

I don't think so. One of the games he missed was the win over Duquesne.

I don't think it matters either way. The way that team was playing, no one would have been surprised by more losses even if Majerus was around. Would things have magically been different if he had been around and fully healthy? Maybe, and maybe Miles Reynolds will score 40 points against SIUE on Saturday. Who knows?