Coach K advantages

slu72

Said this in another thread but it probably applies here too

Rebuilding years are expected for schools like SLU. But I don't understand why we're accepting that rebuilding means even 12 or 13 wins.

Again, I think we should strive be like Xavier. They've missed the tournament twice since 2000 and their worst year was 17-14 and a 6th place A10 finish.

I don't get why anyone is accepting rebuilding years at all, let alone a 12 or so win season.

Xavier/Gonzaga is a good start, but I want a lot more than that.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wichita St has only had one losing season since 2000. Creighton has won 20 games every year since 1998 except one (18-16 in 2009-2010). Hell Dayton has only had one losing season since 2000 and they've won 20 games 11 times. Why can't we do that?

I know I've been negative about this team, but I really do think this class is good enough to get us back to the Tournament at least once before they graduate. But I just want a lot more than that.

And some people will overreact to this and say that I'm saying this WILL happen, but I just really don't want to be the next SIUC. They made 5 straight NCAA's in the mid 2000's and haven't won more than 18 games since.

Wichita St has only had one losing season since 2000. Creighton has won 20 games every year since 1998 except one (18-16 in 2009-2010). Hell Dayton has only had one losing season since 2000 and they've won 20 games 11 times. Why can't we do that?

It's tough to be a Billikens fan.... some things never change....

Since SLU joined the A-10, we have had five 20-win seasons, three tournament appearances, and one losing season. Dayton has had six 20-win seasons, two tournament appearances, and one losing season.

I can get behind the idea of Xavier or even Creighton being the model we aspire to, but the truth is we have already been just as good as Dayton over the past 10 years.

We lose a couple games we aren't supposed to and everyone wants to jump off the cliff. Chill out. I knew this would happen. We play 6 Freshman and our name is not Kentucky. Told a buddy we would lose by 30 to Wichita and didn't feel good going into Tuesday's game. This team will pull together but unfortunately there will be some more bad losses. It's like pissing in the wind on here but let's support these guys instead of burning the place down.

Since SLU joined the A-10, we have had five 20-win seasons, three tournament appearances, and one losing season. Dayton has had six 20-win seasons, two tournament appearances, and one losing season.

I can get behind the idea of Xavier or even Creighton being the model we aspire to, but the truth is we have already been just as good as Dayton over the past 10 years.

I agree, but I was just pointing out that even Dayton isn't having two 10-15 win seasons in five years

Dayton also has an Elite 8. And they are on pace to make the Tourney this year, too.

Even during Xavier's 'down' years, they're Non-Con schedule was STACKED. They never fell off the map. I knew we would struggle, especially early on, but losing to teams like Texas A&M Corpus Christi and South Dakota State AT HOME is extremely troublesome, even with such a young team. The talent we had returning should be able to get us to 15+ wins with this garbage schedule. We could end up with a Non-Con SOS in the 300s. And guys, we very well could've lost to North Carolina A&T, too...and we probably should've. While no one should be freaking out yet, it's certainly appropriate to be feeling uneasy.

The fact that they have an Elite 8 out of one of those two appearances by beating a 10 seed in the Sweet 16, while our upset attempt over Michigan State fizzled doesn't mean they've been a better-run program. Little more than luck of the draw in these circumstances. As for the tournament this year, I will wait until they get there. The "preseason conference championships" thing became a line for a reason.

Again, we are already Dayton. Have been since this became an apples to apples comparison in the A-10. The goal should be to get better. I agree Xavier would be nice. Dayton hasn't been close to Xavier for some time.