The Bills by 9 over SIU-E

The Wiz

The minutes won't be evenly spread out between all six by the end of the season.

And yeah, I get that a 12 or 15 win rebuilding season is tougher to watch than a 20 win one. I really don't think the difference is worth this much flipping out, though, especially since a middle of the pack showing in conference play is still possible. We were never going to make the tournament or be nationally ranked this season. For most casual college hoops fans, that's all that matters for a program like SLU. It's not the end of the world that we miss the CBI in a rebuilding season.

Totally agree. The 2010-2011 had much better non-freshmen talent with potential. These freshmen should get the minutes. They have more potential and they are outplaying the non-freshmen.

I am in agreement on the upperclassmen, same as the frogs. No one gets minutes simply because of the class they are in. I'm looking for more than 1.9 rebounds per game, 1.4 rebounds per game, 28% shooting, 27% shooting, Those freshmen stats don't lead me to giving out increased playing time.

Good signs in the last game, hope it is a trend. AM had three assist and one turn over. He had two give and go's with Lancona for layups. Nice feed to Manning for a layup. In fact fed reggie twice only to have him be fouled and not finish. (reggie missed the first each time) His PG skills are improving, and that is good. Long term I still see MB as the PG but any additional play making is good. Ash is working hard diving for balls. His is just attacking at to fast a speed, his shots are rushed, he needs to change speeds add a hesitation move and relax, let the game come to him.

MY and AG are passing the ball nicely to each other. the results are what has been expected win some games we should lose, lose some we should win. If the progress continues we will be ok

What happened to MC after the ISU game, had a really good game on offense and defense and then sits the next games. doesn't produce in practice? doghouse? i don't get it MC and TL are the only two that know the offense. Some of the freshmen are trying to run the offense incohesively and others are running their own offense, who's on first style.

Good signs in the last game, hope it is a trend. AM had three assist and one turn over. He had two give and go's with Lancona for layups. Nice feed to Manning for a layup. In fact fed reggie twice only to have him be fouled and not finish. (reggie missed the first each time) His PG skills are improving, and that is good. Long term I still see MB as the PG but any additional play making is good. Ash is working hard diving for balls. His is just attacking at to fast a speed, his shots are rushed, he needs to change speeds add a hesitation move and relax, let the game come to him.

MY and AG are passing the ball nicely to each other. the results are what has been expected win some games we should lose, lose some we should win. If the progress continues we will be ok

Agree McBroom looked a little better at the point last game, but he actually had 3 turnovers.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400586915

To quote the wise philosopher of the Great White North and Frozen Tundra ------------- relax!

There were many people on this board in the summer and fall predicting greatness and continued riches. That may be the heart speaking and certainly not the head. People got mad and made all sorts of attempts to downplay and/or ignore things like Top 144 lists, Top 25 rankings, A10 bloggers ninth place predictions, sports magazine predictions and so on. Some made predicitons like 22 and 8 (bauman), 18 - 12 (hsmith/kshoe/billikenf05), "at least 20 wins (DocB/Slu Nick) and 26 - 9 (jimbo). Others were not so kind ,...... 16 - 16 (torch) and 14-16 (slu72). NH came in at 17 - 13 with a few also agreeing to that. I think two even said 30 and 0. Love those guys. I'm not throwing stones at anybody. All of it just emphasizes that, much like Joel Welser, the preseason is a crap shoot --- who really knows.

I find that through this thread I respect The Wiz even more --- the numbers don't lie and he has dropped us accordingly. That is the bottom line for a team with no real proven point guard, questionable upperclass talent, seven newcomers, three underused and unknown sophomores and a coaching staff that has never really dealt with what I'll call "SLU adversity." The old boys known of what I speak. It's going to take time. You have to find a different way to measure success because it won't be in the wins column. Maybe we count wins as added blessings. This team also has to learn how to win. Didn't a recent coach of the year say that was a part of the college game learning curve too. Maybe last year even?

I don't predict, I project. Some don't like that. Probably thought of as being wishy-washy. Fine -- but rest assured I really don't care how it comes off, it is what it is. There are a few on this board that I shared my preseason projection with. It's an evolution. If I were to predict the SDState game, I would have said win. And that was the case in my projection. The team actually has a worse record than I projected to this point. Yeah, I'm still Debbie Downer. I would predict a win verusus SIU-E Saturday. However, the current SLU trend says I have at least a 50/50, MBM chance of it being a wrong prediction. But that's what I hope --- and will cheer for - and I will measure the game in terms of how the kids are progressing rather than what's on the scoreboard at the end.

Much like Lancona, I think this team is young and impressionable and needs our support whenever they are on the court. I've supported some pretty barren, talentless teams in my career at SLU. I don't think this team is one of them but their continued positive development is what is needed. Cheer and support that. I suspect there will be many mind-boggling, inept performances that we might have to shoulder through (Wichita State, VCU, Dayton) to get there. And two of those three teams are rivals I can't stand. But who knows, maybe we'll get a happy surprise ending in one.

For those of you interested ... not a single A10 team is in the Top Twenty Five. VCU is down to 38th; Dayton get a vote and is last man standing with such votes at #44. On the flip side of the New Big East, while we all might expect Villanova to be there (#7), crappy little Butler is back and in at #15. St. John's is in at #24. And G-town, Seton Hall and Creighton all have more votes than either A10 team. Hmmmm.

I am not one who says the sophomores have not developed because they did not get playing time last year. Developing through playing time is only one way. You can develop in practice, watching, playing hard when you do get in. After all, if any of them had shown any real spark last year they would have gotten more floor time but they did not. My question is what did they do this summer? Did they just go home and eat moms cooking or hang out playing in their driveway with the neighborhood kids? You use the spring/summer to hone your game, improve your shot and FTs. You had all last year to learn the offense and defense in practice and a chance to put some of it to use on the court. Why do freshmen who have no idea what they are doing racing past you? The sophomores have no one to blame but themselves. JM - he was a stiff to start with and still is - he has not learned anything about feet movement or position. When was the last time he got a rebound and on offense and put it straight up without bouncing it on the floor. The guy is 6"11" for goodness sakes - just but it back up. By the way where is that heralded hook some talked about last year that was unstoppable in practice? - the guy is just too uncoordinated and he never developed into his body - oh well. I guess some could say that it is unfair to diss on JM because someone saw promise in him and he simply has not reached it - promise is a curse and blessing but like all assets it is what you do with it that makes it what it is and JM has done nothing with it. I can take my lumps this year but if I have to do it for 2 years as some suggest it will be tough to choke down.

I am not one who says the sophomores have not developed because they did not get playing time last year. Developing through playing time is only one way. You can develop in practice, watching, playing hard when you do get in. After all, if any of them had shown any real spark last year they would have gotten more floor time but they did not. My question is what did they do this summer? Did they just go home or hang out playing in their driveway with the neighborhood kids? You use the spring/summer to hone your game, improve your shot and FTs. You had all last year to learn the offense and defense in practice and a chance to put some of it to use on the court why do freshmen who have no idea what they are doing racing past you? The sophomores have no one to blame but themselves. JM - he was a stiff to start with and still is - he has not learned anything about feet movement or position. When was the last time he got a rebound and on offense and put it straight up without bouncing it on the floor. The guy is 6"11" for goodness sakes - just but it back up. By the way where is that heralded hook some talked about last year that was unstoppable in practice? - the guy is just too uncoordinated and he never developed into his body - oh well. I guess some could say that it is unfair to diss on JM because someone saw promise in him and he simply has not reached it - promise is a curse and blessing but like all assets it is what you do with it that makes it what it is and JM has done nothing with it. I can take my lumps this year but if I have to do it for 2 years as some suggest it will be tough to choke down.

If it's more than this year, there will be a lot of changes.