Offense?

slufan13

Non-existent.

4 assists on 20 made baskets. Passing around the perimeter for 30 seconds before throwing up a bad shot. Honestly, McBroom's contested shot at the end of the first half is pretty much how every possession on offense goes.

Have we been working on an offense in practice? Maybe a shorter rotation will allow for some continuity and let the guys get into a flow, but I'm not seeing much of anything even from the guys who play heavier minutes.

Ball handlers either don't take the ball screen or they don't take the screen close enough. The ball screen up top is pretty much useless at this point. Misdirection pretty much adds nothing but it at least makes it look like we're doing something. Don't even see much of that.

Feel like Gillmann is a good passer. Would love to see the high-low with him and Yarbough that we saw with Loe and Evans for the last 4 years.

Seems like a lot of hoping and not a lot of purpose on offense right now. Youth is an excuse for maybe not having a full arsenal of offensive sets and options, but we appear to have virtually nothing right now.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see us making the mistake of not establishing our post up game and solely dependent on jumpers, occassional slash to basket, and fastbreaks. To much offense being forced at the 1 and 2 positions. Losing is part of the growing process so these are areas that need improvement plus many others.

The offense is the same one we ran last year. We miss rob loe the most. The freshmen don't know what it takes yet to run an offense. Crews will adjust. It might be coaching's fault but RM couldn't even get newbies to run this offense right away. Remember GW?

You could see from the lay up lines that MSU was gonna outmuscle us off our spots and then pair that with 55% shooting and that's a bad combo. I hated the last 8 mins though. Carelessness hit the pinnacle then.

Sitting behind the Billikens bench it was pretty obvious that the players are confused and unprepared on offense. I have seen and heard the frustration of the coaches as some players were not running the correct play or how to properly run the play. I am loosing confidence in this coaching staff. The players are not a prepared as in years past, on both side of the ball.

I think Crews true colors will show this season as the RM veteran players really ran the team in the past.

Sitting behind the Billikens bench it was pretty obvious that the players are confused and unprepared on offense. I have seen and heard the frustration of the coaches as some players were not running the correct play or how to properly run the play. I am loosing confidence in this coaching staff. The players are not a prepared as in years past, on both side of the ball.

I think Crews true colors will show this season as the RM veteran players really ran the team in the past.

Do you think the offense under new coach Rick Majerus back in 2009 was any less confused when they put up 20 points in a game? Give it time for Christ's sake. The team is 3/4 freshmen and sophomores.

The offense is the same one we ran last year. We miss rob loe the most. The freshmen don't know what it takes yet to run an offense. Crews will adjust. It might be coaching's fault but RM couldn't even get newbies to run this offense right away. Remember GW?

You could see from the lay up lines that MSU was gonna outmuscle us off our spots and then pair that with 55% shooting and that's a bad combo. I hated the last 8 mins though. Carelessness hit the pinnacle then.

The offense was awful last year, too.

I do not totally disagree. I just think that there is not a magic offense out there that produces points. One change that I think will help is quicker passes.

Every time one of the newbies catches it, they look up to see if there is anything available, the defense adjusts, and then they swing. This basically equates to just a slow swing pass. A worthless effort.

The faster swing pass will help and this will only come when the players know where they are supposed to be on the floor.

It seems to be the same system as we've had for years, the problem is our bigs.

We have no inside threat from our bigs right now. Yet.

Ellis, Loe, Evans, Conklin were all inside threats for years... and Loe and Ellis could step out for 3's.

Now, what? Most are very young and inexperienced. Talented, but not ready yet.

A few of our bigs need to develop quickly, step up and pose a threat.

I do agree that we miss Rob the most, but I also agree with Brian that the offense was bad last year too. He said it last year and I agreed but I tried all season to convince myself otherwise.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of offense Crews is trying to implement. In some ways I think he was way too hands off the last 2 years, but now I'm wondering if that was a good thing. I'm not giving up on Crews by any means, but he's never had a highly rated team in offensive efficiency. Yes he probably has more talent than he ever has but he may just not be a good offensive coach.

This team is young and needs time to grasp the offense better, but I do remember seeing much more of a resemblance of an offense in 2010-2011 than we do this year even if it was just as bad

I'm willing to give everyone time to develop and figure it out, but I'm not sure this is 100% on the players.

I do agree that we miss Rob the most, but I also agree with Brian that the offense was bad last year too. He said it last year and I agreed but I tried all season to convince myself otherwise.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of offense Crews is trying to implement. In some ways I think he was way too hands off the last 2 years, but now I'm wondering if that was a good thing. I'm not giving up on Crews by any means, but he's never had a highly rated team in offensive efficiency. Yes he probably has more talent than he ever has but he may just not be a good offensive coach.

This team is young and needs time to grasp the offense better, but I do remember seeing much more of a resemblance of an offense in 2010-2011 than we do this year even if it was just as bad

I'm willing to give everyone time to develop and figure it out, but I'm not sure this is 100% on the players.

We run basically the same offense we ran under Majerus, for what it's worth.

We run basically the same offense we ran under Majerus, for what it's worth.

I somewhat disagree. I think we are getting further and further away from that. Same basic principles yes, but most teams have the same basic principles. I just don't see how it's a coincidence that every year under Crews, the offense has gotten worse.

I somewhat disagree. I think we are getting further and further away from that. Same basic principles yes, but most teams have the same basic principles. I just don't see how it's a coincidence that every year under Crews, the offense has gotten worse.

So do you believe that Crews is the long term answer as head coach?

What has changed? Go back and watch tape of our set plays and our motion and they are incredibly similar.

What has changed? Go back and watch tape of our set plays and our motion and they are incredibly similar.

I still disagree, but I don't really want to argue about it because neither one of us have the qualifications to coach college basketball. To answer the question though, I think Crews does way more on ball screening and a lot less away from the ball/play. Again, same basic concepts, but a lot of teams have the same basic concepts. But again, neither one of us know jack about a college offense. Just saying what I've seen (or lack thereof).

But in your opinion, if the offense is incredibly similar, what is the cause for the fall in offensive efficiency from 39 (Conklin senior year) to 75 (Mitchell senior year) to 181 (Jett senior year) to 228 (now)

I still disagree, but I don't really want to argue about it because neither one of us have the qualifications to coach college basketball. To answer the question though, I think Crews does way more on ball screening and a lot less away from the ball/play. Again, same basic concepts, but a lot of teams have the same basic concepts. But again, neither one of us know jack about a college offense. Just saying what I've seen (or lack thereof).

But in your opinion, if the offense is incredibly similar, what is the cause for the fall in offensive efficiency from 39 (Conklin senior year) to 75 (Mitchell senior year) to 181 (Jett senior year) to 228 (now)

Majerus liked to on ball screen. Crews was the one with the history of running more off ball screens.

Majerus liked to on ball screen. Crews was the one with the history of running more off ball screens.

I'll assume you're correct and that despite being young, my memory has already gone to hell.

Regardless, I don't think the offenses are all that similar.

And if they are, I'm interested in anyone's opinion for why we've had such dramatic falls in offensive rating post Majerus.

The 39 to 75 is easy to explain. We lost Kyle Cassity.

Too early to say, but I never thought Crews was more than a 4-5 year guy anyway so long-term I'd say no.

If these freshmen show promise by end of January/February and Tatem verbals late Spring, early summer. I can see him staying for awhile. He already on year 3.