Scrimmage

Tonka

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scrimmaging against Memphis reminds me of Paul Eckerle guarding Derrick Rose.

In 2007, I will never forget our first scrimmage. It was against Memphis with Derrick Rose and Co. We had a thin roster and had to start a walk-on who was an extremely hard worker but had the tough assignment of covering D-Rose. It was the first time Rick had coached in a game since his Utah days, and we had only practiced for a few weeks. In these closed scrimmages, you don't worry about scouting reports and sometimes don't even know the players' names on the opposing teams.

So in the first four possessions, Rose drove and scored on our walk-on, and coach called a quick timeout, practically foaming at the mouth. He ripped the walk-on for not leveling the drive and staying in front of his man like we did in practice and jumped on the rest of the team for not helping and rotating over. As I watched him hold the walk-on accountable in a loud tone, I leaned over and whispered to him that it was Derrick Rose we were talking about, the top recruit in the country. It fell on deaf ears until we broke out from the huddle and the team walked back on the court -- and he turned and looked at me and said, "Oh, that's Derrick Rose?"

SLU with the 3 point win. Shaq. Goodwin played but Austin Nichols DNP. We got handled on the glass. But on positive side Roby, Agbeko, Crawford, Gillmann, and Reynolds played pretty well.

SLU with the 3 point win. Shaq. Goodwin played but Austin Nichols DNP. We got handled on the glass. But on positive side Roby, Agbeko, Crawford, Gillmann, and Reynolds played pretty well.

Yeah reading the Memphis message board it sounded like we got out rebounded by a large margin(I feel this will be a big issue all year). Memphis was without their best player. its great the freshmen got out there against some good competition before the season starts

Other points of interest is we were down by 15 at one point in the first half and we cut it to 5 by the end of the first half, and then taking the lead in the second and finally winning it. Team will be good folks

Other points of interest is we were down by 15 at one point in the first half and we cut it to 5 by the end of the first half, and then taking the lead in the second and finally winning it. Team will be good folks

If both teams were giving a legitimate 100% effort, then this is pretty exciting stuff.

MC was big time shooting the ball from distance, TL made a couple, as well as Gillmann (1). AM may want to put today behind him. He forgot his game in St . Louis. Luckily, MR stepped up big directing traffic.

MC was big time shooting the ball from distance, TL made a couple, as well as Gillmann (1). AM may want to put today behind him. He forgot his game in St . Louis. Luckily, MR stepped up big directing traffic.

Thanks for the reports!!

McBroom was awful and they still managed to beat a very good Memphis team? How can it be?

Was Ash an unstoppable force? Who played defense for the Bills? Was Memphis even trying very hard?

I would believe staff was very encouraged by this scrimmage. AM had a very forgettable day and AY struggled a bit early. Those that impressed were MC, RA, AG, MR, and DR.

McBroom was awful and they still managed to beat a very good Memphis team? How can it be?

Was Ash an unstoppable force? Who played defense for the Bills? Was Memphis even trying very hard?

Dwayne.

Enough with the comments questioning effort: first by our Bills and then by Memphis. In short, I have watched our Bills for 30 years dating back to the arrival of Grawer (and a few but sporadic games prior) and effort by college kids has really not been the problem. And I fully admit to having been critical of certain players over the years who either lacked sufficient skill, talent, competitiveness or who were repeatedly put in positions whereby they were in over their heads but not once have I questioned their effort. This is college basketball - not veteran NBA.guys in the middle of their long season.

Just b/c they closed the doors to the public does not mean that our kids, or those of Memphis, would not (and did not) give 100% effort. did If you haven't noticed, we have 13 guys who think they should start and play meaningful minutes so each of our kids have every incentive to give 100% effort. And a few comments about the scrimmage even though I did NOT see the kids play:

1. AG continues to receive minutes and impress some (though not all). Has no one told him that he is last on this Board's depth chart and needs to redshirt? :)

2. I am as optimistic about Ash as the next guy, but why are we expecting him to be Larry Hughes and not only put up 20+ ppg but also to carry the team each night. Reality: Ash will be good but he won't be our best player, top scorer, etc. each and every day. No need to place such pressure and expectations upon him.

3. Crews appears to have Jake Barnett like confidence in Mike Crawford. Let's hope Crawford has a better year than Barnett did last year.

4. MR and DR are the real thing. Mistake by the will happen but keep playing them Coach.

5. If RA stays healthy, it appears that he is our primary inside threat and that TL will be a role player from the perimeter.

Every time I hear we sucked on the boards it brings back memories, painful, of last year's game against Mason. They manhandled us on the boards, and at times had 3-4 attempts at put backs. A lousy team took a ranked team to OT largely due to poor board work. It was also ugly to watch against HS, when a much shorter team pushed us around on the boards and denied us put backs. Remember RM's key to winning, defense and rebound! Start writing it on the whiteboard like CE did. Can't figure with our size that we should get crushed on the boards. Encouraging though to hear we played well on Beal Street.