OT: Quin Snyder to jazz

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/jazz/2014/06/06/quin-snyder-utah-head-coach-missouri-duke-dleague/10099729/

"Quin Snyder combines a unique skill set with several intangibles that makes him the right fit for our team and approach to basketball," Lindsey said. "He is passionate about the game and has a 20-year track record of teaching and developing young talent. His personality, work ethic and communications skills are important traits that will benefit the Utah Jazz. We have taken a significant and exciting step forward in the evolution of this franchise."

I don't know if he actually banged Linas Kleiza's girlfriend or not...I don't know if he's still a cokehead...but the above is a laughable statement

Another coach Krzyzewski disciple ascends to the top; Snyder is a head coach in the NBA. Does any other NCAA coach have as many successful protégés?

Well off the top of my head.... Larry Brown, Pitino and Matta are coaches that all have far more impressive coaching trees than K. Pitino and Brown have multiple protégés that have won national titles. Brown has Popovich, Self and Calipari as protégés. That is impressive.

Another coach Krzyzewski disciple ascends to the top; Snyder is a head coach in the NBA. Does any other NCAA coach have as many successful protégés?

Coach K has the NCAA titles and the Final 4s, but his coaching tree is not all that impressive at this point in time.

Rick Pitino has the most impressive coaching tree of any active NCAA coach, although there is a strong case for Larry Brown. Pitino has protégés who have protégés who have more impressive protégés than Coach K.

Really, who is on Coach K's list?

Mike Brey (career 6-11 NCAA tournament record), Johnny Dawkins (1 NCAA tournament in 6 years), Tommy Amaker (he's done well at Harvard, but mediocre before that), Jeff Capel (made 3 NCAA tournaments in 9 years at VCU and Oklahoma, has been a head coach since 2011), Quin Snyder (5-4 NCAA tournament record, hired by the Jazz), Wojo just got hired by Marquette, Chris Collins has coached a year at Northwestern

That's not a very impressive list. Am I missing anyone? No Final Fours that I can think of.

Now compare that with Pitino...

Billy Donovan and Tubby Smith both won NCAA titles.

Jeff van Gundy, Frank Vogel, Jim O'Brien, Stu Jackson, and Reggie Theus all coached in the NBA.

Herb Sendek has taken 3 different programs to the NCAA tournament, and had Thad Matta, Sean Miller, and John Groce serve as assistants under him.

Mick Cronin, Travis Ford, Marvin Menzies, and Steve Masiello have all been successful college coaches. Richard Pitino's career is off to a promising start.

Larry Brown's coaching tree includes Gregg Popovich (who is officially in the GOAT discussion), Bill Self (16 regular season conference championships in 21 seasons including 10 straight Big 12, 7 conference tournaments, 36-15 NCAA tournament record, 2 Final Fours, 1 National Championship), and John Calipari (the best of the sleazy). Not exactly a lightweight.

By those standards, I'm not sure you can even consider Coach K's protégés successful at all.

Somehow both Quin Snyder and Kelvin Sampson are really highly regarded among NBA brass,

I'll give Quin credit, he started from the bottom going to the D-League and Europe and worked his way up the ranks pretty quickly.

I see Stan Van Gundy got the Pistons HC job.

He did a lot of Bills broadcasts this past season on NBCSN. He did a nice job with that and thought he was very fair and balanced. Also seems to be a good guy, wish him better luck with the Pistons then he had with the Magic.

I see Stan Van Gundy got the Pistons HC job.

He did a lot of Bills broadcasts this past season on NBCSN. He did a nice job with that and thought he was very fair and balanced. Also seems to be a good guy, wish him better luck with the Pistons then he had with the Magic.

+1. The Van Gundys are both aces.

Larry Brown is mostly a pro other than 4-5 years at KU in the middle of his career, and now a sunset job at SMU, I look at all of those years in the NBA after being an assistant at NC long ago as his true career.

Hell, the way they finagle and wangle, Calapari and even Pitino might as well be classified as pros. <_<

Larry Brown is mostly a pro other than 4-5 years at KU in the middle of his career, and now a sunset job at SMU, I look at all of those years in the NBA after being an assistant at NC long ago as his true career.

Hell, the way they finagle and wangle, Calapari and even Pitino might as well be classified as pros. <_<

Herb Sendek is hardly a "pro", and has a much more impressive coaching tree than Coach K

Thad Matta (14 Years, 377-114, .768 W-L%, 23-12 NCAA, 2 Final Four)

Sean Miller (10 Years, 249-95, .724 W-L%, 14-7 NCAA)

John Groce (6 Years, 128-84, .604 W-L%, 4-3 NCAA)

Charlie Coles (22 Years, 357-311, .534 W-L%, 2-4 NCAA)

Jim Christian (12 Years, 242-154, .611 W-L%, 0-2 NCAA)

Ron Hunter (16 Years, 283-216, .567 W-L%, 0-1 NCAA)

Coach K

Mike Brey (19 Years, 399-211, .654 W-L%, 6-11 NCAA)

Tommy Amaker (17 Years, 315-210, .600 W-L%, 4-4 NCAA)

Jeff Capel (9 Years, 175-110, .614 W-L%, 4-3 NCAA)

Quin Snyder (7 Years, 128-96, .571 W-L%, 5-4 NCAA)

Johnny Dawkins (6 Years, 117-87, .574 W-L%, 2-1 NCAA)

Quinn was a cheater, a thug, and an absolute a-hole. I guess he learned all of that from his mentor? :o

+1

I actually had a UK fan tell me one day when we were playing golf that all the 5 Stars want to sign w/ Calipari because he gets them NBA ready. I gagged on my beer. My reply; if the NCAA didn't have that silly one year rule most of his kids would have been drafted right out of HS. Why the NCAA doesn't go with either the baseball rule makes no sense. Leave it up to the kid and the teams to decide whether or not he's ready for the pros.

Quinn was a cheater, a thug, and an absolute a-hole. I guess he learned all of that from his mentor? :o

Quinn wasn't a thug, but I agree with the rest. Key word is "was".

He went out of control in a university environment, so many temptations, did booze and drugs and chased young women. Like Don Rickles would say, "if I have ever cheated on my wife, may God strike me dead"! Then he'd feign dying on Johnny Carson's sofa.

Now, I think, he has changed his ways. Hasn't he? Hell, head coach in the NBA. Not bad. 'Course, he doesn't know as much about basketball as most of the posters here. :D Just ask them.

I actually had a UK fan tell me one day when we were playing golf that all the 5 Stars want to sign w/ Calipari because he gets them NBA ready. I gagged on my beer. My reply; if the NCAA didn't have that silly one year rule most of his kids would have been drafted right out of HS. Why the NCAA doesn't go with either the baseball rule makes no sense. Leave it up to the kid and the teams to decide whether or not he's ready for the pros.

It's not really the NCAA that has authority over it. I expect the NBA to move to a two-year minimum rule sometime in the next handful of years.

Herb Sendek is hardly a "pro", and has a much more impressive coaching tree than Coach K

Thad Matta (14 Years, 377-114, .768 W-L%, 23-12 NCAA, 2 Final Four)

Sean Miller (10 Years, 249-95, .724 W-L%, 14-7 NCAA)

John Groce (6 Years, 128-84, .604 W-L%, 4-3 NCAA)

Charlie Coles (22 Years, 357-311, .534 W-L%, 2-4 NCAA)

Jim Christian (12 Years, 242-154, .611 W-L%, 0-2 NCAA)

Ron Hunter (16 Years, 283-216, .567 W-L%, 0-1 NCAA)

Coach K

Mike Brey (19 Years, 399-211, .654 W-L%, 6-11 NCAA)

Tommy Amaker (17 Years, 315-210, .600 W-L%, 4-4 NCAA)

Jeff Capel (9 Years, 175-110, .614 W-L%, 4-3 NCAA)

Quin Snyder (7 Years, 128-96, .571 W-L%, 5-4 NCAA)

Johnny Dawkins (6 Years, 117-87, .574 W-L%, 2-1 NCAA)

I actually like the Matta tree better than the Sendak tree. The Matta tree has has Groce and Sean Miller, plus Archie Miller and Brad Stevens.

I actually like the Matta tree better than the Sendak tree. The Matta tree has has Groce and Sean Miller, plus Archie Miller and Brad Stevens.

Matta coaches at Ohio St, which MB73 will probably write off as being too much of a professional program.

Obviously I'll never be a Quin Snyder fan, but it's hard to denigrate the path he had to take to this point. He was pounded by fans and media alike on his way out from Mizzou, took his lumps in the NBDL, Europe, and as an assistant and is highly regarded by people like Popovich now. Perhaps the pro game was always better suited for Quin. College certainly wasn't.

Matta coaches at Ohio St, which MB73 will probably write off as being too much of a professional program.

What? Not sure WTF you mean by that. Matta just got # 20 in The ESPN Top 50 NCAA coaches countdown.

"K" is a lock for # 1 if they go by lifetime achievement for current coaches, if they go by most recent (5-10 yrs.) then maybe Donovan. "K" just recruited four 5* players for this season. Not bad.

Honestly, I think K's recent recruiting just highlights how bad of a coaching job he did this past season. I don't care about lack of size - you should not ever lose to a 14 when you're fielding two probable lottery picks (one of which appears a lock to be taken in the top 3). And K's coaching throughout the regular reason really wasn't that great, either. He failed to adjust to the new hand-check rules, and never really modified the defense to fit his personnel (which were clearly not getting it). His one major moment of genius (the hockey-style rotations) was quickly abandoned, and, in any case, was a lone bright spot in the general misuse of his personnel (looking at you, Plumlee and Semi). I could go on, but this is a SLU board. The point is, though, that if we're all being honest with ourselves, K needs a bounceback season to get back into that top 5/top 3 grouping. (Though I never understand why some of these other guys - looking at you, Izzo - also seem to get a free ticket into that group.)