Who is the weakest link on the offense?

This is your team (next year)

I think Crews should use that quote on opening night next year...right after Manning blows a layup in the layup line, just like Ollie.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The weakest link most recently has just been execution. Finishing plays on the defensive end with a box out and a rebound. Boxing out on the free throw line. Proper execution on the offensive end of the floor to take care of the ball and get an open shot (against VCU the team did a poor job of this, turning it over way too many times, and forcing too many contested shots). MAKING FREE THROWS. I think if the team can get back to finishing on the defensive end, and start taking care of the ball again, they'll be right back on track.

The weakest link most recently has just been execution. Finishing plays on the defensive end with a box out and a rebound. Boxing out on the free throw line. Proper execution on the offensive end of the floor to take care of the ball and get an open shot (against VCU the team did a poor job of this, turning it over way too many times, and forcing too many contested shots). MAKING FREE THROWS. I think if the team can get back to finishing on the defensive end, and start taking care of the ball again, they'll be right back on track.

Just saying, we shot 91% from the ft line on Saturday. Can't ask for more than that.

There is no weak link. Guys are tired...period. Bench needs to be extended now that RA, TL, and MC are all ready for action. I hope the meeting this week let everyone voice their minds to get team refocused for the last two games. I expect that you will see a much more focused team hit the floor tomorrow.

Let's stop talking so much and start cheering on the boys to finish strong. New season starts tomorrow in the "Arena."

We could work on our alley-oops.

I hear Lebron and DWade are coming to practice to have a full-court baseball-pass alley-oop clinic. They guarantee a 150% increase in SCTOP10 appearances after just three games.

"They've recorded turnovers on nearly one of five possessions (18.4 percent, 169th, per Ken Pomeroy) this season."

From a team that starts 5 seniors. If we can't find a good look we often just throw it away.

That stat is disappointing.

I think Crews should use that quote on opening night next year...right after Manning blows a layup in the layup line, just like Ollie.

Holy cow. I've just noticed the similarities. Short blonde hair, third man off the bench.....watch him sink two underhanded free throws to win regionals in Indianapolis.

Holy cow. I've just noticed the similarities. Short blonde hair, third man off the bench.....watch him sink two underhanded free throws to win regionals in Indianapolis.

"Okay listen, after John air balls his second shot (turns to Manning) - and you will air ball your second shot..."

Just saying, we shot 91% from the ft line on Saturday. Can't ask for more than that.

Did a good job on that Saturday for sure, but FTs have been the reason we were flirting with bad losses going into the Duquense game.

Did a good job on that Saturday for sure, but FTs have been the reason we were flirting with bad losses going into the Duquense game.

Yeah but I'd like to think that we worked that problem out. We'll see tomorrow.

The team's problems have been more of a domino effect - we are turning the ball over more than normal and we are getting fewer turnovers against our opponents - this leads to us lowering our offensive effectiveness by us scoring less both on offense and in points on turnovers. This then causes more pressure on our defense and those make it harder for us to defend consistently and thus allowing the opponent to get more shots that are better % then before and thus puts more pressure our weakness in rebounding defensively. All of the above then cause more pressure on our perimeter shooting that has at best been adequate up till now. With this added pressure the players who are not consistent shooters stick out like a sore thumb - when we need a big shot to stem the tide we do not have a guy who we can count on delivering. Interestingly enough when we were not scoring well early in the season but we were playing great defense we all lamented how we needed to improve our scoring - now we went through a scoring improvement period we then saw our defense weakening - I think we were better off with the former.

Yeah but I'd like to think that we worked that problem out. We'll see tomorrow.

We will find out a lot of things against Dayton, that's for sure. The big FT problem is Jett...he gets to the line the most and is a tried and true 62% career shooter. At this point, I don't know if it is a problem we can "work out", it is more like something we just have to find a way to deal with.

We will find out a lot of things against Dayton, that's for sure. The big FT problem is Jett...he gets to the line the most and is a tried and true 62% career shooter. At this point, I don't know if it is a problem we can "work out", it is more like something we just have to find a way to deal with.

Yea not something that's going to be worked out, but he's been quoted a few times saying he "felt confident" and "knew it was going in" when shooting FTs with the game on the line.. Maybe the added pressure of March will help him focus more. And yes this is completely wishful thinking.

At this point, I don't think FTs are the main problem.....in the last 8 games we are showing the following. in FT %......

6-8 games ago........89%....outstanding....won all three

3-5 ganes ago..........59.8%....horrible.......won all three

last 2 games.............82.8%....great...........lost both

In fact, of our 4 losses, we shot poorly in only 1 game....Wisc (64.7%)

So we are consistently inconsistent from the charity line.

If I were to focus on 1 thing (and it is usually more than 1 thing) it would be 3 pt shooting (ours)...In our losses we shoot 24.3% from the arc....in our wins we shoot 33.7%....a meaningful difference. Even our winning 3 pt shooting ave is slightly below the national ave (34.5%)....so even when we are "on"...we are only OK.

Bottomline....we need to become more consistent at the FT line. Bad shooting FT teams don't have a bunch of 80%+ games. We are not a bad shooting FT team. Also, we are not a good 3 pt shooting team but we don't need to be. We have shown we can win just shooting "OK". We have to avoid the bad nights....when shots aren't falling...try something else or somebody else.

As I said in a previous post, it looks like the shooting numbers in the VCU game improved....we may be coming out of our funk...Like a baseball team that has been in a hitting slump, once they start hitting they will eventually start winning games....If we start hitting (shots...FG,3pt, FT...as we did against VCU) we will get back on the winning track.

At this point, I don't think FTs are the main problem.....in the last 8 games we are showing the following. in FT %......

last 2 games.............82.8%....great...........lost both

Agreed that FT's are a huge problem, if not the main problem, but that statistic is misleading.

Averaged, yeah, we shot really well the last two games from the charity stripe. But if you look at the games one-by-one, we only shot 68% against Duquesne (horrible) and 91% at VCU (great).

Agreed that FT's are a huge problem, if not the main problem, but that statistic is misleading.

Averaged, yeah, we shot really well the last two games from the charity stripe. But if you look at the games one-by-one, we only shot 68% against Duquesne (horrible) and 91% at VCU (great).

I would consider 68.2% about average l. In the Duq game, we were less than one FT away from our ave (71,2%)...national ave 69.9%...The real significance of our FT shooting in that game was we were coming off of 3 games where we averaged 59.8% (individually 59...60...60.)...and we broke out at 68.2%. While that isn't great, it changed the trend ....following up with VCU at 90.9%

I am hoping now with other numbers trending up ..we can breakout against Dayton.