OT - MIZ "Tutoring"

Thought you guys might enjoy this: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf---the-system--a-great-read-on-college-football-s-inner-workings-202143287.html

"This was the most ambitious project I've ever taken on," Armen Keteyian told Yahoo! Sports, discussing his new book, "The System: The Glory and Scandal of Big-Time College Football," co-written by Jeff Benedict of Sports Illustrated.

The excerpt from the article focusing on Mizzou:

Even worse is the story of the University of Missouri student-athlete tutoring culture, which is paramount in keeping players eligible for competition. "The System" lays out the profoundly bad idea of college girls being paired with football and basketball players – who are often academically disinterested and physically exhausted – for apparently lightly supervised one-on-one work.

The result: an environment of sexually provocative conversations; rampant hook-ups; tutors just doing the athletes' schoolwork themselves; and, most terribly, in the case of star running back Derrick Washington, a 2010 sexual assault of his clean-cut, serious-minded tutor that sent him to prison.

The victim in that case spoke publicly for the first time to the authors and revealed her horrifying ordeal while blowing up the entire system. Washington, his parents and other key witnesses also spoke candidly about what went wrong at Mizzou.

As local prosecutor Andrea Hayes, who investigated the tutoring program, said, "Too many tutors were having sex with the athletes, and really filthy conversations were going on between players and girls. It was a sexually charged environment. It was a joke – the whole tutorial situation."

As local prosecutor Andrea Hayes, who investigated the tutoring program, said, "Too many tutors were having sex with the athletes, and really filthy conversations were going on between players and girls. It was a sexually charged environment. It was a joke – the whole tutorial situation."

I always thought I could have used more tutoring in college.

Good to see mizzerah is concerned about academics.

My son did his undergrad work at MO and to pick up some extra money he would tutor athletes through their tutoring program - he graduated in 2002 - so the program might have changed. When he would go in to tutor he did not know who he would be tutoring and he was limited to 6 hours a week. The point is the system they had back then was apparently somewhat better organized to prevent this type of things happening. He would go in at his appointed time and whoever showed up is who he worked with. The way it was described above it sounds like it was set up to fail.

My son did his undergrad work at MO and to pick up some extra money he would tutor athletes through their tutoring program - he graduated in 2002 - so the program might have changed. When he would go in to tutor he did not know who he would be tutoring and he was limited to 6 hours a week. The point is the system they had back then was apparently somewhat better organized to prevent this type of things happening. He would go in at his appointed time and whoever showed up is who he worked with. The way it was described above it sounds like it was set up to fail.

Depends on your definition of failure.

If you were a slutty pumpkin and your goal was to make some extra cash and have a ball with Gigantic Paulie in the bushes, then you succeeded. If you were Gigantic Paulie, the dumbshit starting 3 for le tigres, and you wanted to pass College Algebra so you could play, and crush some slutty pumpkin ass in the process, then you succeeded.

And now, musical guest... THE PIXIES!!! performing their hit single, "Gigantic", from back when music was cool and the Internet was but a bodeg in Al Gore's straw...

This is truly a moment I will tell my children about when they're older. Now, can someone please Photoshop a picture of Guy blowing some teenagers?

Congratulations Box. I remember when we were back in college when I used to log into my slu.edu emal account and it had green letters on a black screen. We just wished there was a way to discuss Billiken basketball and post cheerleader pics. Now there is and you sir are a vanguard in the cyber halls of billiken fandom.

Congratulations Box. I remember when we were back in college when I used to log into my slu.edu emal account and it had green letters on a black screen. We just wished there was a way to discuss Billiken basketball and post cheerleader pics. Now there is and you sir are a vanguard in the cyber halls of billiken fandom.

Back in my day if you wanted to send mail you needed a stamp. You paid 20 cents for that stamp and you didn't whine and moan about it taking a couple of days to get who you were sending it to.

I had a friend when I was at MU who did tutoring for athletes and I'm pretty sure he was given specific athletes to work with. I don't think it's just girls doing the tutoring but I can see why that would cause problems.

I had a friend when I was at MU who did tutoring for athletes and I'm pretty sure he was given specific athletes to work with. I don't think it's just girls doing the tutoring but I can see why that would cause problems.

was your friend a top or a bottom?

I dont care what the pay is, im not tutoring a football player if it means he gets to go all Lexington Steele on me.

I hope they atleast get you dinner and drinks first.

Stop stop stop. I find this hard to believe. You had a friend?