West Pine

It's all fun and games to you guys until they develop their own very effective precision guided munitions or subs then it's Game Over. You can see how they treat Global Citizens at that point in time when you're forced to memorize a little red book written in a foreign language.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you believe the feel good articles in the SL Post and NY Times, then you believe unemployment is 7.6%, too. And that there will be a Richard Simmons, Jr., someday.

I did not say all got scholarships. And I stated that global students that pay in some instances displace some good American kids who wanted to go to SLU, so that SLU can say we have a global student population.

Again, I was involved with some businesses where global MBA's from Ivy League schools got schollies and now are scamming the USA, in some instances using slave labor. And my PE associates and other sources indicate it is quite common, especially for the masters and PhD's in the STEM area. The a lot of the leaders of these companies were educated in the USA.

Go ahead, believe everything is fine, read the Post, The NY Times, sit there while we get hammered. And go down to the nice shrine.

If you believe the feel good articles in the SL Post and NY Times, then you believe unemployment is 7.6%, too. And that there will be a Richard Simmons, Jr., someday.

I did not say all got scholarships. And I stated that global students that pay in some instances displace some good American kids who wanted to go to SLU, so that SLU can say we have a global student population.

Again, I was involved with some businesses where global MBA's from Ivy League schools got schollies and now are scamming the USA, in some instances using slave labor. And my PE associates and other sources indicate it is quite common, especially for the masters and PhD's in the STEM area. The a lot of the leaders of these companies were educated in the USA.

Go ahead, believe everything is fine, read the Post, The NY Times, sit there while we get hammered. And go down to the nice shrine.

Pretty sure there are even more American born MBA's scamming the US and utilizing 'slave labor' to increase profits for their companies.

It's all fun and games to you guys until they develop their own very effective precision guided munitions or subs then it's Game Over. You can see how they treat Global Citizens at that point in time when you're forced to memorize a little red book written in a foreign language.

Then where would they go to college?

Don't we have those?

personally, i wasn't mad at all, because he works in AMERICA. however, if he came over and apprenticed under tom emansky for several years and then took that sh.it back to cuba, throwing it around in the stickyballgames like he was hot sh.it, i'd have been livid.

But that's exactly what he does. Why do you think there are so many Cuban ballplayers in MLB? I could've made it to the league if it hadn't been for them damn foreigners. They took our jobs!

Like people who don't know the difference between "Your" and "You're"??

Cue: Grammar police discussion.

I'm reading Tales of the South Pacific (1946). That your/you're problem has been around a LONG time. Its/It's too, probably. I guess their not taking they're schoolin' very seriously. ;)

So you're ( ;)) previous post wasn't really you're last on the subject? ;)

You would think it would have to be a priority to educate the children of tax payers in this country when you as a school accept hundreds of millions of dollars of year of their money in TIFs, grants, research funding, and student aid. There is a place for some foreign students in the US college landscape, but their numbers have become way too big over the years.

You would think it would have to be a priority to educate the children of tax payers in this country when you as a school accept hundreds of millions of dollars of year of their money in TIFs, grants, research funding, and student aid. There is a place for some foreign students in the US college landscape, but their numbers have become way too big over the years.

If you guys could let me know when foreign students are being admitted over domestic students, that'd be greattttttttt.

36341647.jpg

There's probably a LOT of foreign students being admitted over domestic ones because the foreigners pay CASH. We might save some money upfront, but if they don't stay here and contribute to our economy, they actually hurt it considerably. They go back home and take jobs from the US kids that were already having trouble getting jobs because their spot at their local university was given to someone from another country who had no intention of staying here in the first place.

They took our jobs, indeed.

If you guys could let me know when foreign students are being admitted over domestic students, that'd be greattttttttt.

36341647.jpg

So SLU is now accepting 100% of all US applicants that meet the basic requirements for admittance?

It isn't just the spots they take up, but the resources that are dedicated to them. How about SLU pour those resources into a one year prep program for US students from economic disadvantaged backgrounds that could get them up to SLU standards? That would jibe a lot more with the Jesuit mission than catering to the children of the foreign elite .

There's probably a LOT of foreign students being admitted over domestic ones because the foreigners pay CASH. We might save some money upfront, but if they don't stay here and contribute to our economy, they actually hurt it considerably. They go back home and take jobs from the US kids that were already having trouble getting jobs because their spot at their local university was given to someone from another country who had no intention of staying here in the first place.

They took our jobs, indeed.

Seems like they're contributing pretty heavily to me.

http://www.kauffman.org/research-and-policy/education-entrepreneurship-and-immigration.aspx

So SLU is now accepting 100% of all US applicants that meet the basic requirements for admittance?

It isn't just the spots they take up, but the resources that are dedicated to them. How about SLU pour those resources into a one year prep program for US students from economic disadvantaged backgrounds that could get them up to SLU standards? That would jibe a lot more with the Jesuit mission than catering to the children of the foreign elite .

Maybe I'm misreading this conversation between you guys, but what do the basic requirements for admittance have to do with it?

RAG said "when foreign students are being admitted over domestic students". If the basic standard, just for arguments sake, is a 22 ACT score with your high school diploma, do you think that a Chinese student who exceeds those expectations should be denied with preference given to a domestic student who meets the "basic requirements"?

Maybe I'm misreading this conversation between you guys, but what do the basic requirements for admittance have to do with it?

RAG said "when foreign students are being admitted over domestic students". If the basic standard, just for arguments sake, is a 22 ACT score with your high school diploma, do you think that a Chinese student who exceeds those expectations should be denied with preference given to a domestic student who meets the "basic requirements"?

In my opinion, Yes. Then again, SLU is a private university; the state public university is more likely bound to admit the home student over the foreign student.

Just for sake of reference, for the 2011-12 school year, SLU's admittance rate for all incoming freshmen was 61%. The admittance rate for international students was 35%, whereas for US students it was 63%. Out of the 350+ who were accepted, 61 actually enrolled, representing 4% of the total incoming freshman class. Overall, the current international student population is about 7-8%.

1) Huh?

2) I guarantee you there is a net benefit to the University's bottom line with regard to foreign students. Most of them are ineligible for financial aid, thus paying a whole lot more than most domestic students. Thus, would seem to indicate to me that these foreign students are enhancing the bottom line for the University. Therefore allowing for the University to spend even more money on other, perhaps even domestic, programs.

Just for sake of reference, for the 2011-12 school year, SLU's admittance rate for all incoming freshmen was 61%. The admittance rate for international students was 35%, whereas for US students it was 63%. Out of the 350+ who were accepted, 61 actually enrolled, representing 4% of the total incoming freshman class. Overall, the current international student population is about 7-8%.

In other words, nothing to see here. Move along.

Not necessarily and it isn't just a SLU problem.

The problem is you have all of these schools that get hundreds of millions of dollars of tax payer money each year with a growing percentage of foreign students every year. Those students are eating up a growing percentage of the those schools resources. The problem isn't a schools accepting foreign students. The problem is the priority that is being placed on them and their growing numbers. These come at the expense of the children of the tax payers that are funding these universities.

In my opinion, Yes. Then again, SLU is a private university; the state public university is more likely bound to admit the home student over the foreign student.

SLU may be a private school, but they receive millions in public money every year. If they are going to take that money, then they should have a responsibility to place a priority on domestic students.

The med school alone received over $50 million last year in tax payer money.

SLU may be a private school, but they receive millions in public money every year. If they are going to take that money, then they should have a responsibility to place a priority on domestic students.

I would say the acceptance rates of foreign versus domestic students shows a really clear picture of priority towards domestic students. Not to mention 96% of the freshman students being domestic.

I'm not disagreeing at all, but I wonder if SLU and other private schools receive donations from foreign sources.