West Pine

I prefer the old days in West Pine when one could observe and participate in throwing elbows and boxing out. Standing in line to register for Fr. Wobido's Speech class (100% attendance = A , or Vic Staudt's English class "Let's see what Wordsworth's words are worth". Those were popular classes that closed out quickly requiring foot speed and agility to move quickly.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer the old days in West Pine when one could observe and participate in throwing elbows and boxing out. Standing in line to register for Fr. Wobido's Speech class (100% attendance = A , or Vic Staudt's English class "Let's see what Wordsworth's words are worth". Those were popular classes that closed out quickly requiring foot speed and agility to move quickly.

OK, JIM. YOU GET THE DECISIVE SAY IN THIS. THE BUILDING'S NAMED AFTER YOU, FOR CHRISSAKES.

IS IT PROGRESSIVE AND ALL-INCLUSIVE... OR IS IT GOTDAMN FUC.KING FOO-FOO!?!?

Upon further reflection, when I sometimes stroll through the Student Center, there always seem to be international student meetings of some type going on. Where do regular student intramural basketball games take place ? Simon Center ? Glad to see WPG being used but... nostalgia is so powerful.

One thing I like about the inside of this building is that it gives students more common space, a major shortcoming of the Busch Student Center redesign.

They completed the building right before I left for the summer. I think they did a great job at it, even though I think the idea for a Center for Global Citizenship is a bit dumb. Mostly, I see it being used as an alternative to the library and a place to meet up for group projects. Like Pistol said, the BSC is lacking in that areaand . The student offices are great in the BSC, and the food places, but mostly it's used to make money for the University.

They completed the building right before I left for the summer. I think they did a great job at it, even though I think the idea for a Center for Global Citizenship is a bit dumb. Mostly, I see it being used as an alternative to the library and a place to meet up for group projects. Like Pistol said, the BSC is lacking in that areaand . The student offices are great in the BSC, and the food places, but mostly it's used to make money for the University.

Despite MB's lesson on PE I still don't get why it's dumb to have a Center for Global Citizenship. What's the deal? Plus, having an ethic food cafe would have been awesome when I was at SLU.

Should we just allow St. Lousians to attend SLU?

Despite MB's lesson on PE I still don't get why it's dumb to have a Center for Global Citizenship. What's the deal? Plus, having an ethic food cafe would have been awesome when I was at SLU.

Yep. And everyone should have to wear a nametag that doesn't say their name, just where they went to high school.

No, but seriously, we need to stop kissing the world's ass and start dominating again, ASAP. The West Pine Center for Milkshakes that Bring Everyone to the Yard isn't doing much good except bringing everyone to the yard. Global Citizenship is cool and all, but we need to keep jobs at home. What about a contract built in to foreign kids admission agreements that they submit a certain percentage of their life's earnings back to SLU if earned outside of the US? That would make a lot of them think twice about using our education system against us. If they want to learn here and work here, right on. Otherwise, pay up, buttholes.

This is a serious matter.

SLU spent $ 8 million on a shrine to celebrate educating global competitors who are at war with us economically. How do you think this is going for the USA the last 10 yrs or so? How are we doing? It is estimated that 80% of the worlds wealth was in the USA and Europe a few yrs ago, in a few years, they say, Trans-Atlantic will have only 35% of the worlds wealth. Middle class, good luck. We are getting hammered.

Think.

Visitors learn business and science under our capitalist system, use that with slave labor, and defeat us with low cost products in numerous industries.

How many of our visiting global students got full schollies? Who is to say they deserved them instead of, say Pistol (not sure if he got aid or not, just saying) or some of this board's recent graduates? Sure, a lot of the global students paid... but then Americans that did not get in had to go to a lessor institution (SIU-C).

And sure, they are good kids, competent and smart and nice to you while they enjoy the excellent education and our campus and all that is offered, but then many go back home and figure out how to beat us, sometimes using slave labor in many countries. Child labor, too.

I have personal experience in this as I have stated. It is not a big unknown. But people smile and say it is so nice....

So I do not have all the answers but it seems that we are being "so nice" and there are probably posters here who did not get a scholarship, were bumped out by some global student so we can show the world how nice we are. This happens all over, not just SLU of course. It used to be they would stay here, now the MBA's and PhD's go back and go to war with us. Things have changed.

Wise up.

Then we put up a shrine, to celebrate our, uh, generosity.

From what I've heard and seen, the building amounts to some offices for the diversity-student groups, study spaces, the cafe, and an auditorium. The study abroad office and the office to help international students are located in Des Peres Hall next door. The name is far more grand than the space actually is. Now, yes we needed more and better offices for student groups. Black Student Alliance, Muslim Student Alliance, Indian Student Alliance, Hindu Student Alliance and any other similar group had been sharing the Cross-Cultural Center in the BSC. This is great for them. Its a great building and a great job with the remodel work, but its not a game-changer or anything. I like it a lot and I wish that I hadn't just graduated, because I would spend a lot of time in there

Yep. And everyone should have to wear a nametag that doesn't say their name, just where they went to high school.

No, but seriously, we need to stop kissing the world's ass and start dominating again, ASAP. The West Pine Center for Milkshakes that Bring Everyone to the Yard isn't doing much good except bringing everyone to the yard. Global Citizenship is cool and all, but we need to keep jobs at home. What about a contract built in to foreign kids admission agreements that they submit a certain percentage of their life's earnings back to SLU if earned outside of the US? That would make a lot of them think twice about using our education system against us. If they want to learn here and work here, right on. Otherwise, pay up, buttholes.

416_9_large.jpg

This is a serious matter.

SLU spent $ 8 million on a shrine to celebrate educating global competitors who are at war with us economically. How do you think this is going for the USA the last 10 yrs or so? How are we doing? It is estimated that 80% of the worlds wealth was in the USA and Europe a few yrs ago, in a few years, they say, Trans-Atlantic will have only 35% of the worlds wealth. Middle class, good luck. We are getting hammered.

Think.

Visitors learn business and science under our capitalist system, use that with slave labor, and defeat us with low cost products in numerous industries.

How many of our visiting global students got full schollies? Who is to say they deserved them instead of, say Pistol (not sure if he got aid or not, just saying) or some of this board's recent graduates? Sure, a lot of the global students paid... but then Americans that did not get in had to go to a lessor institution (SIU-C).

And sure, they are good kids, competent and smart and nice to you while they enjoy the excellent education and our campus and all that is offered, but then many go back home and figure out how to beat us, sometimes using slave labor in many countries. Child labor, too.

I have personal experience in this as I have stated. It is not a big unknown. But people smile and say it is so nice....

So I do not have all the answers but it seems that we are being "so nice" and there are probably posters here who did not get a scholarship, were bumped out by some global student so we can show the world how nice we are. This happens all over, not just SLU of course. It used to be they would stay here, now the MBA's and PhD's go back and go to war with us. Things have changed.

Wise up.

Then we put up a shrine, to celebrate our, uh, generosity.

Ha ha, awesome.

Did you ever think that maybe SLU isn't doing this out of generosity, but rather they're competing for the best students possible, regardless of what country they're from? Let's face it, the US really isn't producing the best high school students anymore, so it has become very important for schools to attract new talent from other countries, particularly places with strengths in highly skilled fields such as engineering (cough, Biondi's recruiting trip to China, cough). The hope for this country is that we can retain a large portion of these students after they graduate, so when they create and engineer the next I-Pad, they'll do it here.

Your right, they pay full ride.

I'm sure they don't, but so what? Many students don't. Scholarships and financial aid aren't given because the school is being "generous." Sure part of that system is to further the school's mission in "educating the future leaders of tomorrow," but really they're given to attract the best and brightest in hopes that they graduate, become millionaires, and pay it back five times over (see Dr. Chaifetz). This practice is offset by having plenty of average college students that pay full or near-full tuition.

I'm sure they don't, but so what? Many students don't. Scholarships and financial aid aren't given because the school is being "generous." Sure part of that system is to further the school's mission in "educating the future leaders of tomorrow," but really they're given to attract the best and brightest in hopes that they graduate, become millionaires, and pay it back five times over (see Dr. Chaifetz). This practice is offset by having plenty of average college students that pay full or near-full tuition.

Like people who don't know the difference between "Your" and "You're"??

Cue: Grammar police discussion.

Ha ha, awesome.

Did you ever think that maybe SLU isn't doing this out of generosity, but rather they're competing for the best students possible, regardless of what country they're from? Let's face it, the US really isn't producing the best high school students anymore, so it has become very important for schools to attract new talent from other countries, particularly places with strengths in highly skilled fields such as engineering (cough, Biondi's recruiting trip to China, cough). The hope for this country is that we can retain a large portion of these students after they graduate, so when they create and engineer the next I-Pad, they'll do it here.

My understanding is that the Masters, PhD's, the STEM students are mostly going back home to compete against us. And in countries with slave labor available, they are very effective in being the low cost provider against our products even shipping over oceans.

That is one of my main points. They used to stay more often years ago... but not any more.

I believe even our clueless congress understands this and is attempting to do something about it. Keep the high tech ones here, they say.

Enough for me on this matter... it was a great gym... the Wrigley Field of SLU.... now "this".

My understanding is that the Masters, PhD's, the STEM students are mostly going back home to compete against us. And in countries with slave labor available, they are very effective in being the low cost provider against our products even shipping over oceans.

That is one of my main points. They used to stay more often years ago... but not any more.

I believe even our clueless congress understands this and is attempting to do something about it. Keep the high tech ones here, they say.

Enough for me on this matter... it was a great gym... the Wrigley Field of SLU.... now "this".

Or, I dont know, there isn't some huge Chinese and Indian conspiracy where they get these kids to come to Merica and take all our secrets and educations and move back to destroy the US..... more likey, its almost impossible for these PHd, STEM, and Masters students to get actual citizenship and approval to work here in the States. And if you are able to jump the hoops to get your work permit here, its extremely expensive for the companies that hire you.

They have no choice but to leave because of the bureaucratic mess Missouri and the Fed place on LEGAL immigration here. Immigration into Missouri is the only hope for St Louis moving forward, and we are sending STEM Wash U students back to their home countries. Pretty pathetic, really.

BTW, this article basically debunks everything MB is saying in regards to foreign students taking US kids financial aid and assistance.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/05/education/international-students-pay-top-dollar-at-us-colleges.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

MB, how furious were you when Yoenis Cespedes gave his interview in Spanish after winning the Home Run Derby?

personally, i wasn't mad at all, because he works in AMERICA. however, if he came over and apprenticed under tom emansky for several years and then took that sh.it back to cuba, throwing it around in the stickyballgames like he was hot sh.it, i'd have been livid.