New $300 million arena for DePaul?

The good thing about McCormick Place's location is that it is on the very end of I-55 where it empties into Lake Shore Drive. There is a exit to the left off I-55 directly into parking for McCormick Place. Obviously there are traffic issues going south on the Kennedy (I-94) and crossing the Ike (I-290) or getting there by LSD during rush hour but for weekend games it's an excellent location.

Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah's Lake Shore Drive is very calming when stuck in those traffic jams on the Damn Ruined Excessway, the Ike, the Kennedy or even escaping town on LSD. I

I

I've never seen LSD that empty. Ahh...simpler times

That's a little misguided. Chicago is an actual major city, and specifically the Depaul area has been very nice for a long time. You can't buy up space in Lincoln Park like you can in a ###### Midtown area of STL. I love St. Louis and I understand the inferiority complex it has with Chicago, but you gotta open your eyes. I would've said the same thing as you a year ago before I moved here, so that's not a personal attack.

Also: Biondi stepped down..come to grips, dude. He made great improvements to SLU and STL, but that's a specific example in a specific city where his vision worked.

My comment was not intended to be a comparison between STL and Chicago. It was intended to be a commentary on the fact that Father Biondi got run off after years brilliant forthought and planning that has resulted in an ugly, dangerous campus being turned into a much larger beautiful campus in neighborhood that is turning around in large part due to his efforts. I'm actually not sure how you interpretted that as a slight on Chicago, which I think is a great town.

That's a little misguided. Chicago is an actual major city, and specifically the Depaul area has been very nice for a long time. You can't buy up space in Lincoln Park like you can in a ###### Midtown area of STL. I love St. Louis and I understand the inferiority complex it has with Chicago, but you gotta open your eyes. I would've said the same thing as you a year ago before I moved here, so that's not a personal attack.

Also: Biondi stepped down..come to grips, dude. He made great improvements to SLU and STL, but that's a specific example in a specific city where his vision worked.

One more thing, who has the inferiority complex? You used the phrase "Chicago is an actual major city," when defending it against an imagined attack.

Thank God that Biondi acquired all that land over all those years before he mysteriously and abruptly became inept and a tyrant.

Yeah I was simply saying that Biondi, the depaul president, the Pope, or even Rahm couldn't grab up enough land even 30 years ago to build an on campus arena. It was an over generalization to say that there is an inferiority complex for STL with Chicago. Just based on my 7 years there, that's the feeling I got. Doesn't mean everybody from STL does. I know what you were meaning with the Biondi comment, but within the context of this thread it seemed to Imply that Biondi is a wizard and if depaul just did what Biondi did, they wouldnt have this issue.

I then used my experiences living in the Depaul area over the last year to try and "drop some knowledge" about the city, only because most of my friends from STL that hate Chicago(as I used to) have never actually spent more than a drunken weekend there catching a game and the sights. I was pointing out that things move about 20x quicker and more hectic up here, and what works in STL doesn't necessarily work in Chicago. It's big. It's truly urban.

Yeah I was simply saying that Biondi, the depaul president, the Pope, or even Rahm couldn't grab up enough land even 30 years ago to build an on campus arena. It was an over generalization to say that there is an inferiority complex for STL with Chicago. Just based on my 7 years there, that's the feeling I got. Doesn't mean everybody from STL does. I know what you were meaning with the Biondi comment, but within the context of this thread it seemed to Imply that Biondi is a wizard and if depaul just did what Biondi did, they wouldnt have this issue.

I then used my experiences living in the Depaul area over the last year to try and "drop some knowledge" about the city, only because most of my friends from STL that hate Chicago(as I used to) have never actually spent more than a drunken weekend there catching a game and the sights. I was pointing out that things move about 20x quicker and more hectic up here, and what works in STL doesn't necessarily work in Chicago. It's big. It's truly urban.

Wasn't there a plan only a few years back to build an arena closer to, if not on, campus??

Wasn't there a plan only a few years back to build an arena closer to, if not on, campus??

Yeah. I think they realized that it would cost $50million just to buy up surrounding land. Also, no way the alderman gets on board with that. He'd be jobless.

Well, an on campus place is not happening. Depaul is located smack dab in the middle of Lincoln Park, a yuppie neighborhood in Chicago. My 1BR apt is 1500, and small studios go for around 1k. There is literally no space to build. Chicago's North side is not like STL. It is a major city with houses upon houses upon buildings. It takes about 20min to drive to the United Center from Depaul(30 with heavier traffic-I do it twice every day). The united Center is not close to Mccormick place. UC is on west side at basically Ashland/Madison; Mccormick is down by soldier field. It might look relatively close on a map...it is not.

Rosemont is a joke. It is not closer. If you say use the blue line, well Depaul is a 15 min walk from the blue line and then you have to wait and then get up there. I wouldn't go to games if that was the situation. Driving up would be a nightmare, too...Nobody want's to take the Kennedy at that hour if they want to get where they are going with any piece of soul left.

Not true regarding no land in LP to build a stadium.

The long rumored move of A Finkl and Sons (steel manufacturer) just north of Goose Island is actually happening. This is a great spot for a 8-10K stadium. I don't know what DePaul does with the $30-40K/year it takes from its 35K undergrad (plus all of its grad students), but hopefully they would be able to pony up and buy this.

A stadium at McCormick Place is not the answer. Has anyone ever been to a Bears game? That is the most illogical location for 10K people to drive/park (don't tell me you are going to take public transportation here unless you live in Bronzeville or U Village) on a random weeknight.

The long rumored move of A Finkl and Sons (steel manufacturer) just north of Goose Island is actually happening. This is a great spot for a 8-10K stadium. I don't know what DePaul does with the $30-40K/year it takes from its 35K undergrad (plus all of its grad students), but hopefully they would be able to pony up and buy this.

A stadium at McCormick Place is not the answer. Has anyone ever been to a Bears game? That is the most illogical location for 10K people to drive/park (don't tell me you are going to take public transportation here unless you live in Bronzeville or U Village) on a random weeknight.

I was wondering about that industrial spot a little west of campus. I thought that had already been shot down, though. Is it back on the table?

Agreed about McCormick Place. Everything about that idea is awful.

Yowza. she's the hottest woman to ever go to Valpo i'm sure

Most likely... I was sad to see Ginger leave, but Cheryl Scott actually has her beat. This has nothing to do with Valpo, just the random, good looing fill-in meteorologists.

Most likely... I was sad to see Ginger leave, but Cheryl Scott actually has her beat. This has nothing to do with Valpo, just the random, good looing fill-in meteorologists.

was going to mention this earlier...

don't worry, i'll post the T so you don't have to GTFO.

cheryl-scott-624x463.jpg

Funny, a friend mentioned Scott right after I told him I had mentioned Zee on here. I looked it up and she is from New Jersey, not born and raised in the midwest. Zee is from Rockford, MICHIGAN. Which is north of Grand Rapids on the opposite side of GR from ZEEland.

Oh that wouldn't be a bad place for a stadium.

That's some GOOD TRIVIA but you can do better. What's Tom Skilling's wife's name? Where is his dog groomed?

I did learn where some of Tom Skilling's money comes from. Tom's brother is Jeff Skilling, the former, and discredited, CEO of Enron. I bet that was a sticky subject when Enron was in the news on WGN TV news broadcasts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Skilling

Dictator Rahm released some details about the plan today. 170 million is the actual number for the arena. 70 million from DePaul, 70 million from the McCormick Place/Navy Pier bond fund, and 30 odd million from tax revenues. DePaul retains the naming rights and interior advertising. The city owns the property and DePaul pays rent. Depending on the rent number it could be a fairly terrible deal for DePaul.

By the way, it sounds like this dumba$$ arena plan is happening: http://espn.go.com/chicago/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9283528/chicago-announces-plans-new-depaul-blue-demons-arena

-Scaled down to $173 million; Funding for the arena will comprise $70 million from DePaul, $70 million from the McPier bond fund and $33 million from public taxes.

-Across the street from McCormick Place

-10,000 seats

-The school will pay rent at the building but will retain naming rights and permanent internal and external signage space.

-The article does make it sound like it could still be shot down by the city or state governments.

By the way, it sounds like this dumba$$ arena plan is happening: http://espn.go.com/chicago/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9283528/chicago-announces-plans-new-depaul-blue-demons-arena

-Scaled down to $173 million; Funding for the arena will comprise $70 million from DePaul, $70 million from the McPier bond fund and $33 million from public taxes.

-Across the street from McCormick Place

-10,000 seats

-The school will pay rent at the building but will retain naming rights and permanent internal and external signage space.

-The article does make it sound like it could still be shot down by the city or state governments.

Well, you gotta have a new arena to finish last, right?