Poll: Crews as Head Coach

AMDG

Crews  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Should Jim Crews be given the permanent head coach position?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he wants the job I think he has earned a chance. It's always a bit of a gamble anyway when you hire a head coach. At least with Crews he can keep the current system in place and the players seem to like him and respect him. I do hope we add a real good young assistant for recruiting.

Why would a kid commit to a program where the head coach has made it public that he doesn't want to coach too much longer and at any moment may walk away from the game?

Yes, there was always a chance Majerus would walk away but Jim Crews is not RIck Majerus. You don't take chances to come play for Jim Crews

At one point I was alright with JC getting the job as long as we hired a stand out AC. Now, with the crop of coaches who are available (*cough* Howland), we better go hard after these guys.

I am in the same boat as you. Howland changes the dynamic here. The big question is............... would he be interested?

No chance at all unless we get into the new BE.

lol, you and getting into the NBE first, as I said in another post there is zero chance we do not lock up a coach BEFORE we ever hear about the NBE plans. You can't will your way into the NBE before we hire a coach, the timeline on a coach is too urgent.

Show the NBE we are a serious program and hire a serious coach.

No chance at all unless we get into the new BE.

We all know your thoughts on this as it relates to everything.

With the way things ended for Howland at UCLA, I question if he is all that attractive to major conference programs where he would have a chance to win.

lol, you and getting into the NBE first, as I said in another post there is zero chance we do not lock up a coach BEFORE we ever hear about the NBE plans. You can't will your way into the NBE before we hire a coach, the timeline on a coach is too urgent.

Show the NBE we are a serious program and hire a serious coach.

+1

Crews is the best guy to perpetuate the Majerus program which is ingrained in McCall, Jett, Loe, Evans, and to a lesser extent, Glaze and Manning. That's basically what he did this season, although he did spice up the offense a bit.

Even if he doesn't want the job, he should be convinced to stay another year.

Remove the interim tag, and he will get another two decent recruits to go with Crawford.

Crews is the best guy to perpetuate the Majerus program which is ingrained in McCall, Jett, Loe, Evans, and to a lesser extent, Glaze and Manning. That's basically what he did this season, although he did spice up the offense a bit. Even if he doesn't want the job, he should be convinced to stay another year. Remove the interim tag, and he will get another two decent recruits to go with Crawford.

Howland's offensive and defensive systems historically are closer to what Majerus ran than anything Crews ran before he got to SLU.

Based on this poll, our new motto for next year should be "Lets Settle!!!"

Yes because anyone who thinks Coach Crews can win at SLU has no basis for their opinion and probably really isn't a fan at all.

I don't understand the venom directed at the man. You guys take every little statement in the media and it becomes gospel. IE Crews doesn't really want to coach. He's a grown man and if he didn't want to he wouldn't. IE Crews let the players show him the system. The guy is a 37 year professional who worked with the best. I don't think a group of 18-22 year olds had to show him the game. He did a great job handling the media in a very difficult situation. Any hubris on his part for the team's success and he would've been ripped by you and the media. So he was demure, he deferred and he did it beautifully. SLU got so much positive publicity. They also won every game that mattered except one. We can argue whether it was his fault they lost that game. At least it was to the PAC12 champion not Norfolk St. or UFGC. Is LaSalle better than SLU? I don't think so but they are still alive in the tourney. Why? Sometimes there is a little luck involved, match ups draws, unpredictable adolescents stay hot. Overall we achieved this year and with one more year I think we would've been where we should've been. We lost and the dream crashed around us we're disappointed. I'm disappointed too but I'm not about to say a guy that tied so many SLU records under difficult conditions, garnering National Coach of the Year consideration shouldn't be retained at SLU a team that only has 2 tourney wins in over 10 years?!?! He's not the sexy choice but he maybe the right choice.

None of us can predict the future. But if you've got an IQ, you ought to be able to look at facts and form an opinion.

Well he's screwed then.

People love lawyers, you'll probably fit right in.

Yes because anyone who thinks Coach Crews can win at SLU has no basis for their opinion and probably really isn't a fan at all.

I don't understand the venom directed at the man. You guys take every little statement in the media and it becomes gospel. IE Crews doesn't really want to coach. He's a grown man and if he didn't want to he wouldn't. IE Crews let the players show him the system. The guy is a 37 year professional who worked with the best. I don't think a group of 18-22 year olds had to show him the game. He did a great job handling the media in a very difficult situation. Any hubris on his part for the team's success and he would've been ripped by you and the media. So he was demure, he deferred and he did it beautifully. SLU got so much positive publicity. They also won every game that mattered except one. We can argue whether it was his fault they lost that game. At least it was to the PAC12 champion not Norfolk St. or UFGC. Is LaSalle better than SLU? I don't think so but they are still alive in the tourney. Why? Sometimes there is a little luck involved, match ups draws, unpredictable adolescents stay hot. Overall we achieved this year and with one more year I think we would've been where we should've been. We lost and the dream crashed around us we're disappointed. I'm disappointed too but I'm not about to say a guy that tied so many SLU records under difficult conditions, garnering National Coach of the Year consideration shouldn't be retained at SLU a team that only has 2 tourney wins in over 10 years?!?! He's not the sexy choice but he maybe the right choice.

Yes, yes, yes, we all agree he did a great job this past season with Rick Majerus's team. Who we need to hire as our HC long-term has nothing (let me repeat that one more time: nothing) to do with how well the Billikens played this past season. It's about our future. It's about once Rick Majerus's team has all graduated. It's about positioning ourselves to be as attractive as possible for the New Big East if and when they decide to expand to twelve teams. Jim Crews is not the man for these things. His track record produces evidence that SLU will be no better off than when we had Brad Soderberg. Maybe we'll be able to schedule some non-con games against the Lindenwood Lions for the 2015 season and beyond!

It's not about "venom." It's nothing personal against the man, he's a great guy. But he's only a "good" coach. We need better than good if we're going to rise above the mediocre mid-major hell, the 4,000 per night attendance at our arena that was built just in 2008, and a team so bad the best we can hope for consistently is the CBI.

If we retain Crews, I'll be happyIf we don't retain Crews, I'll be happy... Is this an option?

And I will be cheering on whoever is the coach next year.

They definitely could do worse than Crews and could probably find a better longterm answer too. I would take Crews above many of the names mentioned. If it is Crews vs. Howland or anther homerun hore, give me Howland option.

The problem that I can't get around is not that JC didnt do a commendable job this year. The problem is that he has a track record. He was a slightly above average coach in the Missouri Valley Conference for a ridiculous amount of time (see Hinson, Barry) and he certainly peaked EARLY in his tenure there. Then he was an epic fail at Army. He is a known commodity. There is a reason why he was not coaching anymore and it might not have been by his choice only.