HC Selection Timeline

Lots of speculation of JC actually not wanting the job, if no announcement by JC by Monday, he wants it. Why stick around if your not interested. If May does not select JC by say Wednesday, safe to say, May is considering his options and looking at other candidates.

The candidate pool probably we will consider from:

1) BCS assistant coaches from elite basketball schools. Since the tourney still going on that may take a little time to talk with them.

2) Up comers from low major and mid major programs. May should already be touch with the AD of those schools to get permission to talk to those candidates.

3) Wait till the coaching carousel starts. I am surprised it hasn't started already. Never know, some decent coach from a BCS school maybe let go they may fit in nicely. Just mentioning that as an option.

4) Out of the blue candidate, I am thinking of RM level type candidate. Any pro coach that was maybe successful coaching in the college level that maybe interested. Bring in someone that is a media basketball analyst. I thinking someone like a Pauly B 'Biancardi'. Or, any top level college coach that is in retirement that may willing to come back. For these candidates I could see maybe Chaifetz making some phone calls to sweeten the pot.

If I was a betting man, JC gets it, either next week or after a long search period.

One area I feel that we will not get candidates from is from a successful BCS program. Not going to happen, we are not Kentucky.

Lots of speculation of JC actually not wanting the job, if no announcement by JC by Monday, he wants it. Why stick around if your not interested. If May does not select JC by say Wednesday, safe to say, May is considering his options and looking at other candidates.

The candidate pool probably we will consider from:

1) BCS assistant coaches from elite basketball schools. Since the tourney still going on that may take a little time to talk with them.

2) Up comers from low major and mid major programs. May should already be touch with the AD of those schools to get permission to talk to those candidates.

3) Wait till the coaching carousel starts. I am surprised it hasn't started already. Never know, some decent coach from a BCS school maybe let go they may fit in nicely. Just mentioning that as an option.

4) Out of the blue candidate, I am thinking of RM level type candidate. Any pro coach that was maybe successful coaching in the college level that maybe interested. Bring in someone that is a media basketball analyst. I thinking someone like a Pauly B 'Biancardi'. Or, any top level college coach that is in retirement that may willing to come back. For these candidates I could see maybe Chaifetz making some phone calls to sweeten the pot.

If I was a betting man, JC gets it, either next week or after a long search period.

One area I feel that we will not get candidates from is from a successful BCS program. Not going to happen, we are not Kentucky.

One last thing, getting into the Big east would enhanced our chances of getting a mid-major super star. Like a Marshall.

The first announcement will be by Crews. If he says no, he will have turned it down and thereby save face for the school/May. If he wants it, there will likely be no search whatsoever --- what cold as ice person would terminate a COY winner who withstood so much adversity in his lone, most successful year in the program? This is all on Crew. May is a spectator right now.

I'd give it until maybe next Friday.

The first announcement will be by Crews. If he says no, he will have turned it down and thereby save face for the school/May. If he wants it, there will likely be no search whatsoever --- what cold as ice person would terminate a COY winner who withstood so much adversity in his lone, most successful year in the program? This is all on Crew. May is a spectator right now.

I'd give it until maybe next Friday.

That is pretty much how I understand it.

One thing that may slow this down just a bit is the fact JC's up for national COY award, one of 4. One would think he'll have a lot of sentiment going for him. If he gets it, how does SLU avoid a PR disaster if they don't offer him? If he doesn't want the job, fine that's his call. But if he does and is not offered the post we will take a beating in the national and local press. I think he deserves it. He was a stabilizing force this year. He knew how to deal with the adversity and the team appreciated his "light" touch. What's on everyone's mind, read concern, is "can he recruit?". He's never been at a school where recruiting is easy and his past record is not what you'd call a HOF resume. Adding to SLU's dilemma is will the new Beast see the hiring of JC as SLU doing what's necessary to move the program forward? It all adds up to SLU being at possibly the most critical moment in the program's history. We need to be in the Beast. We need to keep what RM started going to improve our chances of being selected. Chris May, Fr. B, Dr. C need to come up with a solution. Here's praying they find the right one.

I agree with Taj. But here's another thing to take into consideration about JC. He was at Evansville for something like 17 years. He put them in the dance 4 times. He learned under the General both as a player and AC. So, his background was definitely mid west hoops. Yet, no Big 10 school ever offered him a position during his tenure at Evansville, ie he was not a hot commodity. Contrast that to Alford. Same background. But he became a hot commodity. SWMO... Iowa... New Mexico (a voluntary move). Just thinking what was the book on JC? Was it similar to Brad? Nice guy, good X and O guy, but can't recruit.

Crews is a smart guy. If he wants it it will be a done deal no later than Tuesday so he can recruit. If he doesn't want it it will be announced Monday. If I were him, I'd give serious thought to retirement. How does he top this season? He's made a name for himself on the national scene and should be able to land a good broadcasting gig.

I agree with Taj. But here's another thing to take into consideration about JC. He was at Evansville for something like 17 years. He put them in the dance 4 times. He learned under the General both as a player and AC. So, his background was definitely mid west hoops. Yet, no Big 10 school ever offered him a position during his tenure at Evansville, ie he was not a hot commodity. Contrast that to Alford. Same background. But he became a hot commodity. SWMO... Iowa... New Mexico (a voluntary move). Just thinking what was the book on JC? Was it similar to Brad? Nice guy, good X and O guy, but can't recruit.

Don't quote me on this, but I thought someone posted here that when Crews had his success at Evansville, he was considered a candidate for some Big 10 jobs, but wasn't interested. Not sure how strong of a candidate he was, or what his reasons fr the lack of interest were.

Crews is a smart guy. If he wants it it will be a done deal no later than Tuesday so he can recruit. If he doesn't want it it will be announced Monday. If I were him, I'd give serious thought to retirement. How does he top this season? He's made a name for himself on the national scene and should be able to land a good broadcasting gig.

I think the whole retirement broadcasting gig depends on the person. Some coaches, like Majerus, do the broadcasting thing, and while they like it, it is hard for them to stay away from coaching. Others go to broadcasting and do very well. We might find out which category Crews is in.

For those of you who think that you have to hire Crews for what ever PR move you think may or may not be there - well you have oversimplified the entire issue. A worse PR move would be to hire Crews and have him stink the place up next year and/or not get any recruits worth having. This is a HUGE decision for May - this may be his only chance to hire a D1 basketball coach at SLU - he does not want to blow it. Crews can win COY of the year and that would be great for him but that should have no bearing on what happens at SLU next year. Look at Haith - COY last year and now some MO fans are calling for his head along with media types wondering why he could not harness the race horses he had to win. Even Burwell his big supporter is wondering who Haith really is this year or last. No, the worse mistake that can be made is to take the easy way out and simply hire Crews. If you listen to Crews he does not sound like a guy who hungers for the job and honestly we need someone who hungers for it. Crews would make a great fundraiser for SLU if he wins COY and the AD could really capitalize on keeping him on board in their dept. He could stay in StL like he wants, no travel, no recruiting - which he himself says he does not like to do - and he can be home in time for dinner most nights - sounds like a pretty good gig for someone who might at best only coach another 3 years - as he has intimated, who needs the headache. No, the worse PR move would be to blow this decision.

I have no arguments w/ the above, Cheese. But JC's situation is different from Haith's. There was a lot of emotion this year over the passing of RM. Still, you're right. May has to do what's in the best interests of the program. Another candidate would be B. Pearl. I know Broy would go nuts, but he's really the closest thing to an RM type available. Question is can he coach next year or is he banned for another year. Seems excessive for hosting a freaking BBQ.

De Mset, if you're right about JC being offered by B10 and turning them down to stay at Evansville, that's not a plus to my way of thinking. He was a relatively young man then, and young men tend to be ambitious. This would put me in the mind, that he didn't want the pressures a big time program places on their HC's, ie win friggin' now. We don't a guppy, we want a barracuda.

I like crews but if he doesn't want to recruit then he shouldn't take the job.

My choice would then be larry eustachy. Has to be one of best coaches in country

I have no arguments w/ the above, Cheese. But JC's situation is different from Haith's. There was a lot of emotion this year over the passing of RM. Still, you're right. May has to do what's in the best interests of the program. Another candidate would be B. Pearl. I know Broy would go nuts, but he's really the closest thing to an RM type available. Question is can he coach next year or is he banned for another year. Seems excessive for hosting a freaking BBQ.

He was offered the head coach job at Michigan and Iowa and another Big 10 school not sure which. Definitely. He did not want to do it for whatever reasons, stated at the time he did not want to go against Coach Knight. Dont say he wasn't ambitious, it might have been family reasons. Some people think that way.

This all depends on if we get into the NBE. Do we have any info? Are they saying anything yet about adding 2 more teams in a certain timeframe? If we do not get in, our prospects are thin. What good coach will come here until he knows if we are in?

The Majerus era is about over, and if we are left stranded in the Temple-X-Butler-less A-10, we will struggle to get anyone good. If we get in, the new league might help Crews get some good players.

All this is moot until we find out about the league, though they might just give it to Crews and wait on the NBE decision.

Eustachy has said in interviews that at this stage of his life he wants to retire from COst - he says he is still fighting his drinking problem every day and that he is happy where he is so he is not an option. As far as Crews using the excuse that he did not want to coach against his mentor Knight - that is simply a cop out - Knight would have told him to grow a pair. If this is his attitude then no way do I want him. There simply are just too many clues about Crews and his past that gives me the willies about hiring him regardless of him maybe winning the COY - honestly much of his being nominated is due to the RM effect to tell the truth.

This is chicken before the egg scenario. Right now we know we're not in the Beast. We think they're going to expand. No one on here knows how big a blip on their radar we are if they do expand. So what do you do? Stay with the status quo and not make a major move until we know where we stand with them, and maybe risk them saying "SLU's not going to do anything beyond their history of being mediocre." Or do you go out and make a major splash w/ the hope we improve our chances of getting an invite? Tough decision.

I was driving through Birmingham this time last year listening to a sports call in show. As we know UAB is not what it used to be and one caller wanted Pearl. The announcers said he has been pretty much given a death sentence for a future coaching job. He has a ton of baggage and if school hired him a lot of his restrictions would be placed on the hiring school. That's probably why no one picked him up yet.

Cheese, when wrote my post I was just trying speculate what May's thinking is. Everyone in the media, both local and national, are all crying 'why isn't Crews not hired yet?'. He has a lot on the line here with this decision. Easy way out would be if Crews leaves and returns to Indy and coaches youth basketball like he did before RM called or they can come up with, in a graceful way, create a position in the AD. What if that doesn't happen? He is only 58 yo. I believe he wants it, anyway, we should know this by next week. If he turns down Crews, he better hit the home run or he won't be able to get a job handing out basketballs to students wanting to play in open gym. My bet, thinking about his career, he selects Crews. We are not some SEC school where high end donors influence these decisions. That will at least buy him a few years. Also Bondi will probably like it. Crews salary demands will probably be modest.

This program fired Brad Soderburg LATE after a twenty win season and lost a decent AD in the process. PR disasters are not a problem. Finding a great coach chomping at the bit for a chance at success is.

I don't want Crews to be Brad three years of mediocrity from now.....

What about retaining Crews and hiring a rising young assistant coach who has a reputation for landing quality recruits at places where it is difficult to get 4 and 5 star players (or even 3 star players)? There should be several of those kinds of guys in conferences like the MAC, Horizon, Sun Belt, Conference USA and the Valley. Crews has been around long enough that he should be able to identify such a guy. Give that guy the gig as the Assistant Head Coach (and coach in waiting). It will be an upgrade for that guy in terms of money and quality of the league and program to sell to recruits, and you can sell him on the idea that he will learn the art of coaching from a guy who is really good at it. Most young guys who are really good recruiters are lacking in other areas like x's and o's and administration, so having a chance to work for a real pro like Jim Crews would be a benefit.

Tarheel - yes we are a place where big donors can get a coach fired or hired - how do you think RM ended up here. Two big donors went to Biondi and told him Brad goes and get RM and his salary will be paid for by us.

Why would SLU give a contract to an asst coach telling him that he will be the head coach when Crews decides to leave - what if this asst does not hit it off with Crews. Besides, a good asst coach in this situation would want the job now not later. I know the Painter thing at Purdue but that was a special case - they knew him and he knew them so he was willing to do a transition year and it was good thing for the school.

Tarheel - yes we are a place where big donors can get a coach fired or hired - how do you think RM ended up here. Two big donors went to Biondi and told him Brad goes and get RM and his salary will be paid for by us.

Why would SLU give a contract to an asst coach telling him that he will be the head coach when Crews decides to leave - what if this asst does not hit it off with Crews. Besides, a good asst coach in this situation would want the job now not later. I know the Painter thing at Purdue but that was a special case - they knew him and he knew them so he was willing to do a transition year and it was good thing for the school.

I am suggesting that you identify someone in a mid-major conference who is a rising star as a coach and recruiter who is not ready to be the head coach yet and knows it. He would need to have some connections in the AAU circuit and real ability to identify good players and close on them. Such a guy may not exist, but I suspect that you could find one. Crews should be involved in identifying and hiring the guy so that they would be compatible and excited about working together. I suspect that if Crews does want the job, he won't stay around for more than 4-5 years, which is the perfect amount of time for an apprentice.

I will agree that the siutation is difficult. The returning senior class is really good, and I believe that the team next year has a chance to match or exceed the performance of this year's team. It doesn't seem like there is much star power behind the returning senior class, particularly with the loss of the highly regarded freshman whose name escapes me. They need some firepower. Bernie's Saturday column suggested that some good recruits were about to commit. If that is the case, it seems like Crews makes a lot of sense. He clearly has the devotion and respect of the senior class to be. Obviously, if the money people have a star-calber guy lined up who wants the job they should pull the trigger, but I am wondering where the Majerus type guy is this time around.

I see a lot of people mentioning Marshall from Wichita State, but I seriously doubt that he comes here, even if big $$$ are offered. He has been a hot coaching prospect the last 2 or 3 years, and as I recall, Wichita St. has bucked up and paid him, and much like Brad Stevens at Butler, Marshall is really happy where he is and is getting paid really well.

Fire May first. We don't need that bald faggat fuoking up this hire like he fuoked up our chance to get into the conference we'ave always wanted.

Why do so many on this Board put their head in the sand with respect to the level of support, financial and otherwise, for our basketball program?

I state the following as a reality check - not to be negative. For those who are still intoxicated with all the Blue Kool-aid you have been downing all year, and for those who believe it is too soon to discuss these topics, and for those who only want to read positive and overly optimistic thoughts, then I am warning you: STOP READING!!

1. JC did a great job this year under extreme circumstances and probably was the best person for the job. Congratulations Jim. I was wrong about you earlier in the year.

2. This was the best Billiken season I have ever witnessed and I go back to the hiring of Grawer.

3. I am thankful for Fr. Biondi in finally getting us the new arena and for Dr. C and others in hiring RM

4. I am thankful for RM for getting us to heights we are at -- higher than I thought before RM.

5. I am thankful for BC, KM, CE and all the others who chose to come here to SLU, who gave SLU all they had and for this year's Bills who chose to stay and give JC all they had.

With all that said, we won only one (1) game in the NCAA Tourney and this was "our year." We are without our HOF coach, KM and CE and we only have our super Juniors for one (1) more year. We beat Butler three (3) times and certainly should be proud of that accomplishment but this was Butler's "down" year, they are reloading, they have a really special coach, they are going to the new BE next year and even in their down year, they went as far as we did -- and lost to a tough Marquette team by only 2 points on a game which could have gone either way. Butler played great yesterday -- better than their talent would suggest. They were one shot away from another Sweet Sixteen in their down year -- not a 20 point blowout loser -- and they still have two (2) Championship Final appearances on their resume.

As to Xavier, they lost all their major contributors last year to graduation and transfers, this was to be a total rebuilding year and yet they still were a factor in the A10, they beat us again this year despite our Junior/Senior laden team and they came close to make the NCAA Tourney. They are now reloading, they also are going to the new Big East and they have a string of NCAA Tourney appearances, including Sweet Sixteen and Elite 8 appearances on their resume.

Not only are we not on the level of Butler or Xavier but as per the financial figures on the prior thread, we have a budget of $3.1 million (and this is with Dr. C and Novelly) while Marquette, Georgetown and Villanova have well-known coaches, sustained success and budgets hovering $10 million while Villanova has a budget of $7 million. The Marquette we knew at the end of Conference USA is long gone. In the midst of this, we are hoping a guy like Jim Crews will keep the sustained growth, accomplishments and upward trend (which RM put in place) all because Crews somehow knows RM's system and can keep this going? Really?? Other than hope and prior accomplishments by RM, what gives everyone the optimism that Crews can and will coach different than his track record suggests? Other than the home runs we hit by the big splash hirings of veteran coaches of Spoon and RM, there is nothing to suggest that SLU will maintain the success its has enjoyed these past two (2) years by returning to its fiscally conservative ways, its small-minded approach to hiring coaches and the belief that recruits and success will come without a truly special coach. We are at a crossroad and need to hit another home run!!